Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2018, 08:35 PM   #1

2016 Dutch Star roof and a/c drain pipes?

Since the drain pipes coming down from the 4 corners of the roof have a tendancy to block, I inserted nylon brilli pads to filter out the garbage prior to it getting lodged in the pipes. I also removed the screws from the duckbills and replaced them with cable ties.
Going through this process I noticed that I have one drain pipe on either sidevof the front of the coach, two on the passenger side rear and another on the driver side rear.
I am confident that the two front ones correspond to the respective corner drains. Pouring water down the rear drains, the water appears to come out on the passenger side only. Can someone please clarify what the 3 rear drains pipes are connected to?
I thought that one if them could have been an a/c drain but when I went on the roof the water from the a/cs appears to be draining onto the roof and down the corner drains. Is that correct? If so once again what would the 3rd rear drain be used for? If not where do the a/cs connect to a drain? I only have 2 a/cs. I removed the shrouds but could not locate any apparent drainage connection. I’m confused...🤔

Thanks for your help.
Charlandpv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2018, 10:45 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
2016 Dutch Star roof and a/c drain pipes?

I noticed the 3 in the back too so I am following.

I have used a high pressure needle nozzle (garden section at Home Depot) and a short piece of 1/4 " ID tubing that I was going to put down the grating on the floor.

We didn't have the ladder yet and the front ones clogged. So I put it up the duck bill, after I took those silly screws out. Shot some water up and while I got s short shower from the roof no more clogs the whole year. Maybe a coincidence or maybe the real issue is the darn self tapping screws in the duckbill!

John
Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 07:13 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You are correct that the AC’s drain on to roof and then to gutters. In regards to the 3rd drain in rear I remember someone saying previously what it was for but it’s skipped my memory (definitely not an AC drain though). Attached is picture of what I use to clear my gutter drains a few times a year.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4522.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	846.2 KB
ID:	202519
Previous: 2010 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
fsudelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 05:10 PM   #4

The plot thickens...
After doing a water test on the 4 roof drains, the front two are a no-brainer but the rear two both go down the 2 drains on the passenger side rear. As stated by another owner, the A/Cs appear to drain on the roof and down the roof drains. That leaves the driver side rear drain pipe for which I hafe yet to find any use.
Any takers? I’m sure there are DS 4018 outvthere who know or who would like to know.
Old 05-14-2018, 04:10 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I can’t help answer the mystery of 3rd drain but curious to know. As for clearing I use an air hose saving myself the shower.
NWIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 10:04 AM   #6

I will address my question to Newmar Customer Service and let you know. The nylon Brillo pad inserted in the drain water accumulation space works exceptionnally well by preventing garbage from entering the drain. All that is required is that they be removed and rinsed out from time to time (depending on how much debris falls on your roof where you are).
Old 05-14-2018, 11:09 AM   #7

How about stainless steel scrubby pads? Would they be to big or small?
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 02:47 PM   #8

Got the answer from Newmar: the diver side rear drain is connected to the external vent on the upper rear corner (driver side) of the coach. I can only assume that the passenger side vent is either fake or connected to one of the roof drains.

The nice thing about the nylon Brilli pads is hat they are easily compressed to fit in the little square hole. My concern about the stainless steel ones would be eventual rusting. I’m actually thinking of getting rud of the perforated metal caps as they are rusting ti hell and are useless with the nylon pads.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:53 AM   #9
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlandpv View Post
Got the answer from Newmar: the diver side rear drain is connected to the external vent on the upper rear corner (driver side) of the coach. I can only assume that the passenger side vent is either fake or connected to one of the roof drains.
Isn't the driver side vent the air intake for the engine? On the passenger side I don't have a vent like the driver side but around the corner there is a dryer vent.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:09 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi - the drain on the drivers side rear is for the air box. The two on the passenger's side is for left and right rear drains.

Tom
Old 05-15-2018, 08:31 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Your AC's drain onto the roof and depending how the coach is leveled will drain to either side of coach and possibly to the rear of coach if leveled to that end.
The most important thing is ensure the drain holes of the AC base pan are clean from blockage so AC fans do not blow water from pans into you ceiling ducts and cause dripping onto your ceiling panels.
If you slope you coach forward the water will drain to the two forward gutter drain spouts.
You can clean the spouts with a wire brush similar to a baby bottle brush but smaller bristle brush.
Previous answer is correct drain for air box.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 08:17 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsudelt View Post
You are correct that the AC’s drain on to roof and then to gutters. In regards to the 3rd drain in rear I remember someone saying previously what it was for but it’s skipped my memory (definitely not an AC drain though). Attached is picture of what I use to clear my gutter drains a few times a year.

Attachment 202519

Are you putting this up from the bottom of the hose?
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 08:33 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
Are you putting this up from the bottom of the hose?

I stick in drain at ends of gutters on roof. Once it’s in the hole (after removing the grate) then I turn on the hose & let flush out line.
Previous: 2010 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
fsudelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 08:38 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Then glue grate back in?
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dutch star, roof