Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2016, 09:49 AM   #1

2016 Dutchstar 4369 18K Axle

We have just returned from the Tampa Show and hoping the experts here can offer advice on the fix to the 2016 4369.

We really love that model but are concerned that even with the new axle the tires may not support the weight properly.

Also if anyone has any insight as to possible changes to the 2017 model...

Thanks in advance!
Conchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2016, 11:29 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I understand Newmar engineering exec's addressed the issue with folks during a Kountry Klub discussion at the Tampa RV Supershow. Maybe, those in attendance at the meeting might share what they heard here, please.

Thanks,

Mike
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 01:27 PM   #3

Hello all. I have one about to get on the assembly line. What problem are you referring too?
Captned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 01:32 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captned View Post
Hello all. I have one about to get on the assembly line. What problem are you referring too?
Front axle weight problems on the DS units.......
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/over...ry-270555.html

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/d-s-...ar-273534.html

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/over...ts-272040.html
Old 01-17-2016, 01:45 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our '02 DSDP suffered from the overloading too. Unit was 50# overweight on the front axle if I filled the fuel and propane tanks before we ever loaded anything or even climbed aboard. Newmar fixed it by having Spartan replace the front 12,000# axle with a 14,600# unit. The I upsized the front tires to allow full usage of the axle rating.
Seems the problem isn't new, just a continuation. Some friends had about a 2000 DSDP and Newmar replaced the front tires with bigger ones to cure their (and others) problem with overloading.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 03:07 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJFZ View Post
I understand Newmar engineering exec's addressed the issue with folks during a Kountry Klub discussion at the Tampa RV Supershow. Maybe, those in attendance at the meeting might share what they heard here, please.
Several of us attended the executive meeting in Tampa.
The axle replacement will bring the axle limit to 18000 pounds. This should allow an additional 750 pound of carrying capacity (after allowance for the additional axle component weight).

Newmar is not changing tires for 2 reasons:

First:
The current rating of the 2 front tires are over 18000 (axle limit) and the coaches are pretty well balanced left to right so the current tires should be fine.

Second:
Newmar does not want you to put 365s on the front! It is their opinion that these larger tires will not fit the wheelwell and function properly

There are more than enough discussion threads with plenty of opinions on this issue here in iRV2 but the information above is a summary of what was stated at the Tampa Rally by Newmar.

Newmar also spent a great deal of time trying to cover the logistics of the changeover.

They are trying to implement the axle change on new chassis as rapidly as possible and they are trying to shift the mfg. schedule as much as possible so that current customer coaches on order have a higher likelihood of coming off the line with the new axle.

They are working with Freightliner to determine which Service Centers will be authorized to do the changeout. It sounds like there will be a small number of facilities scattered around the country.

They are hoping to minimize downtime as much as possible but don't know yet how much time it will take. It seems that the target is a few days but again, no actual time has been determined.

If you received an initial letter about the changeover, you will receive another letter as soon as all details are worked out.
Norm Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 03:57 PM   #7

Well... Looks like a call is going out asap. Thanks for the head up! Anymore info out there? Thank you! Thank god I haven't paid for it yet...
Old 01-17-2016, 04:27 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Captned,
Which model did you purchase?
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 05:48 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Mac View Post
Several of us attended the executive meeting in Tampa.
The axle replacement will bring the axle limit to 18000 pounds. This should allow an additional 750 pound of carrying capacity (after allowance for the additional axle component weight).

Newmar is not changing tires for 2 reasons:

First:
The current rating of the 2 front tires are over 18000 (axle limit) and the coaches are pretty well balanced left to right so the current tires should be fine.

Second:
Newmar does not want you to put 365s on the front! It is their opinion that these larger tires will not fit the wheelwell and function properly

There are more than enough discussion threads with plenty of opinions on this issue here in iRV2 but the information above is a summary of what was stated at the Tampa Rally by Newmar.

Newmar also spent a great deal of time trying to cover the logistics of the changeover.

They are trying to implement the axle change on new chassis as rapidly as possible and they are trying to shift the mfg. schedule as much as possible so that current customer coaches on order have a higher likelihood of coming off the line with the new axle.

They are working with Freightliner to determine which Service Centers will be authorized to do the changeout. It sounds like there will be a small number of facilities scattered around the country.

They are hoping to minimize downtime as much as possible but don't know yet how much time it will take. It seems that the target is a few days but again, no actual time has been determined.

If you received an initial letter about the changeover, you will receive another letter as soon as all details are worked out.
I can't believe that Newmar would be disseminating this type of information to the general public before discussing this with owners of the affected units. I also find it disturbing that Newmar would be having these discussions at a trade show and yet there seem to be new owners with units still in production that have never been notified about overweight axle issues on the 2016 Dutch Stars:

Captned posted:

"Hello all. I have one about to get on the assembly line. What problem are you referring too?"
Slydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 08:06 PM   #10

The changes depend on which model you have or are buying. 43' get the 18K axle. Read the announcement from Newmar on the other threads. Sounded like they were contacting buyers who are in the queue to discuss timing on their builds. This would be thru the buyer's dealer and likely would not be direct. I'd assume that all customer communication would be through the dealers.

The overall mood during the meeting was positive. It's clear that they are doing everything they can to take care of the customers and future buyers. It was a frank and honest conversation and they were very open about the issue.

An example was that the expected down time was estimated (still not finalized as the first coach is at Freightliner going through the process) at 5 days. Question was posed about what happens to a full timer. Honest answer was that since the coach could not come out overnight that the owner would be displaced. Followup was would Newmar cover the cost of being out of the 'home'. A bit of head scratching and the consensus seemed to be that they would review on a case by case basis.

As to all of the posts on the original forum that forecast doom, bad service, not caring and the list goes on once again Newmar has shown that they stand behind their products and do the right thing. This one takes a bit of time since you don't just whistle up these type of changes.

Since I've been on the forum I have heard of three customer situations. The King Aire leak, this 2016 issue and one last year with a slide issue. In all cases the doomsayers were proved wrong by the solid actions of Newmar.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 04:02 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
The only thing I can say about the "Doomsayer's" is the way Newmar has handled those situation's.
Axle weight: designed to tow a 15k trailer........
Slide floor: nothing can be done, no adjustment(I believe what was said)
Flooded KA: No response for several days, then authorize a non-authorized dealer to work on it, instead of being taken back to the factory. Time and frustration got it back to the factory.
I have read several letters as to customer's writing,email,phone call's to Matt Miller, never once have I read as to where he has replied to a customers concern's.
There was never a doubt in my mind or other's that Newmar would not do the right thing, it is just the process and how they went about it that does not settle well, especially for the ones that have the problems.
This forum is a powerful tool in the problemed industry, as they all seem to read them, and if they don't ......they should.
The biggest thing for me, as I think about these problems, would it hurt Matt Miller to return a call, send a reply email, have his Secretary write up a letter to send with his signature on it to the customer.........a little comfort for the customer from the owner. This behavior would/does go a long way in todays world with people.
And in ending, now there are the troubled owner's that have already bought, waiting for Newmars fix for their new Coach........and they read about it on here..............coming from those that went to the Tampa show
A little more "One on One" with the customer sure would not be to big of a job for them , I would not think. When one has problems with any product, he just wants/needs some comfort/support in his time of need is all from the manufactures, and some others are.
Old 01-18-2016, 05:46 AM   #12

I know this is apples to oranges but there is some similarity. I saw Tiffin change out the front axle on a coach, align, and test drive in 4 hours. This was a simple swap, no steering box change, and a straight axle. I would think Freightliner could do as well.
ewlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 06:27 AM   #13

I attended the presentation that Norm did.

My impression was that Newmar was very straight about the axle issue on the DS 40 and 43.

The VP of Engineering addressed the underlying issues of what caused the overloading, the proposed fix and the process of repairs.

Based on what I heard and saw I would not have an issue ordering a new 43 or 40 Dutch Star.

As with any coach, you need to be aware of the weight ratings and your actual load, even more so until the fix is made.

BTW, the fix on the 40 DS is an upgrade to the air bags. No axle change is necessary.
Old 01-18-2016, 07:08 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi Captned,
Which model did you purchase?

Hey Gary, we put a down payment on a 2016 43 DSDP at the Hershy show.