Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2017, 10:39 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
2016 Essex 4519 - used - possible first coach

Hello all. Hoping to get helpful information regarding possible purchase of our first coach. Unit is a used low mileage 2016 model 4519 Essex. Some of the extras this coach has include All electric, electric heated floors, central vac, Winegaurd RTT - 40B & SKM300 and the Sanicon system & transferrable Good Sam extended service plan.

I have driven many large trucks with trailers for my work (CDL holder) and have rented a couple of similar motorhomes putting more than 6k miles collectively on the coaches.

DW and I welcome all insight, especially as it relates to this particular model / year, pros & cons.
Bigrig2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2017, 10:43 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have had two DSDP's and probably should have stayed with Newmar. The Magna is a great rig and well built but it has been expensive to maintain. With the ISX it's got lots of power and the fuel mileage isn't much less than the 40' '02 DSDP with ISC.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 07:40 PM   #3

Newmar and Essex are both great names in the RV business. We have a 04 Essex since new with 137K miles that we have been using for the last 6 years about 200 nights a year. Do like the Spartan chassis and might be a big plus if it is on a Spartan chassis. Have owned a London Aire before the Essex and would say hard to find anything better in that price range.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 05:40 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thank you for both replies.

Tom, I should have mentioned it is built on the FL chassis. Is that less desirable than the Spartan? Major differences? Resaleability?
Old 08-21-2017, 06:09 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
IMO, I would not think the chassis (FL vs Spartan) would hurt resale in an otherwise properly maintained coach. Years ago there were more significant differences between Spartan and FL....in more recent years not so many.

Is it private sale or dealer? I would be curious to know why a low mileage 2016 is for sale. Not a show stopper but I would want to speak to prior owner and inquire. Newmar makes a great coach and the Essex is high end so it may just be a case of an owner trading up (which a lot of folks seem to do these days) or some other reason not related to the coach having serious issues.

Since you say this will be your first coach I would also suggest you have someone (other than an agent of the seller) inspect the coach thoroughly. These are complex machines and can be very expensive to when things go wrong. I would also want to see evidence of proper maintenance for the drive train.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:55 PM   #6

We think as far as resale a Spartan chassis has a higher resale value. There are more FL chassis out there but that is starting to change as Spartan can now keep up with demand. The wiring and frame along with cross members are 2 items that are better on Spartan. We like the Spartan service shops better then what we have heard from FL owners going to FL shops and being put in the back of the line of trucks.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 10:26 PM   #7

Bigrig2

I have a 2015 Essex on a Freightliner chassis and I and others respectfully disagree with Tom's opinion of Freightliner. I am very pleased with the chassis. The service I have received from F/l dealers has been much superior to the service I received from Spartan dealers for my 06 Essex. Both Spartan and F/l have had their share of recalls in the last couple of years and both companies take care of them well. I ordered mine on a F/L chassis for service reasons and glad I did.

The Essex is a great coach and you should be able to get a good deal on it, for a like new rig.

If you can get the last six digits of the serial number, you can call the F/L help number and ask them about any service issues or outstanding recalls. You can also call Newmar and they can give you info on that coach.

When the '16's came out, Newmar changed slide systems to hydraulic . The had some issues with the full length slide floor being off level. There have been a number of fixes and now have solved it. Might check to see if this coach has been corrected. Other than that a fine coach. PM me if you have specific questions.
RUFINIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 09:40 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Called FL and Newmar this am. 5 Newmar TSB's and 1 FL recall outstanding.

I knew I could count on this forum. Thanks to all, and my PM'r, who have so far chimed in. I value all your inputs...
Old 08-22-2017, 10:39 AM   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to 8TiresRollin
Recalls and TSBs are not a big deal. I just had my Hendrickson front suspension recall done last week at 9 years old. I like the Spartan service shop here in Calgary. Easy to book appointment and great service. Hell - they even greased the coach last time during the recall fix for no charge. They know I will be back.
8TiresRollin is offline   Reply With Quote