Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2016, 12:07 AM   #1

Smile 2016 Ford V10 and tranny- impressed

Started our long trip with this new motorhome. Going over Siskue grade in Oregon from California. I could hold 55 while towing a small hatchback. I did drop below 50 once due to a truck slowing me up. Motor pulled real good as long as you let her run out at higher RPM. I was expecting to go 35 up steep grades. I had 3/4 tank gas and 1/3 fresh water.
Now comes that steep downgrade. I've heard some having issues with their tow/haul button not working correctly. Not mine. It worked great. As I started to brake harder the tranny would downshift several times. I hardly ever touched my brakes. I've never had a tranny work so smart going down hill.

Great motor and tranny. Good job Ford.
Maddawg46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2016, 04:51 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
X2 on the new transmission...going over Vail Pass and through the Eisenhower Tunnel was able to maintain 45 mph. At those altitudes I was dreading the trip, but 45 is not too bad...

Bob
BBorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:07 AM   #3

What also is nice about the new tranny, is if you set the cruise to say 55 going down hill it will automatically downshift once it reaches 60 to slow you down. Just came up a. Long 7% grade going to Asheville pulling a Sonic, did quite well maintaining 50-55.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 11:42 PM   #4

That sounds great... thanks for the report. Just curious - when climbing at 45-50 is that winding out 2nd? What RPMs are you seeing? How's the gear spacing?

I've never owned a class A but have driven plenty of truck/trailers. It seems the difference between a good and bad setup is the gear spacing and having the power available when/where you need it. All the HP and torque in the world doesn't help if you're bogged down between gears.

It's great to hear positive reports for these newer rigs. It sounds like Ford has hit a home run with this setup for sure.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 12:29 AM   #5

It may be 2nd. I'll pay closer attention. I thought it was 3rd gear, but not sure. I gets a little noisy, but doesn't bother me yet. The RPM is between 4K and 4,500 on steep grade. I've only had this rig for 6 weeks. A couple of days ago was the first steep long grades I've gone up. We will be on a lot of flats Friday going over and up the coast. If we head up the Cascades in Washington, then that will be a steep test. Anymore you either do the Ford or you go deisel.
Old 08-25-2016, 01:10 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ford improved their transmission when they came out with their first RV Chassis back in 2009, because of competition from Workhorse Corp with the 8.1 Chev engine and Allison transmission.
Up to that point Ford was using their truck chassis for RV market.
Sounds like they are still improving the transmission to hold the market.
Workhorse may be coming back its heard.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 01:01 PM   #7

I'm real happy with my 2016 v-10 in our 40'. 8mpg fairly consistant. I avoid cruise control on anything hilly as it results in too much downshift too far. When a hill is approaching I speed up to get momentum and throttle it enough get it to drop into 5th and it just gets the job done, and done well. No complaints. Terrific alternative to a costly DP for sure.
HotRodLincon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:23 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
I know there was supposed to be a change in the 2016 transmission, but what you are describing sounds exactly like our 2015 operates. I know our 2015 was one of the last off the line (visited it a factory late June) so maybe got the newer transmission, not sure, I just know the performance over the last year has yet to disappoint. I just wish it got 20 MPG on the highway, but with 30000 lbs (26000 chassis and 4000 toad) 6-7 MPG works. I guess if I slowed down a little might get 8...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 10:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
I know there was supposed to be a change in the 2016 transmission, but what you are describing sounds exactly like our 2015 operates. I know our 2015 was one of the last off the line (visited it a factory late June) so maybe got the newer transmission, not sure, I just know the performance over the last year has yet to disappoint. I just wish it got 20 MPG on the highway, but with 30000 lbs (26000 chassis and 4000 toad) 6-7 MPG works. I guess if I slowed down a little might get 8...
I don't think they changed how it works, just what it works with. The 2016 has a 6 speed versus 5, and the hp rating is less. It works great in my unit. Some have said the newer engine/tranny combo does not work as advertised on some chassis'. I few threads on the Ford Chassis forum.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 11:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
I don't think they changed how it works, just what it works with. The 2016 has a 6 speed versus 5, and the hp rating is less. It works great in my unit. Some have said the newer engine/tranny combo does not work as advertised on some chassis'. I few threads on the Ford Chassis forum.
6 speed has many internal changes and with revised rear end ratio gearing. Also the HP rating is done at a lower rpm to meet new epa requirement...yes the HP lower at that rpm but is the same at the higher rpm in which it was previously measured. This is what I gathered from poking around several ford truck forums before I decided to buy.
HotRodLincon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 08:32 AM   #11

Synthetic oil in Ford V-10

I'm on a trip and now have 3,700 miles on the motor. How many miles would you suggest before switching to full synthetic oil?
Old 09-01-2016, 08:43 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddawg46 View Post
I'm on a trip and now have 3,700 miles on the motor. How many miles would you suggest before switching to full synthetic oil?
I switched at my first oil change at 4500 ish miles, from what i have read on this and other forums there is no worry about synthetic and should be ran all the time. I assume you are asking because the oil from the factory is probably not synthetic. I just did it at my first change due to the many benefits of the new synthetic. I run Mobile ONE full synthetic 5-20
Dennis Dean is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, v10