RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2017, 06:45 AM   #15

the reality is this: if you are on shore power, as long as you have your CHARGER on, it matters NOT whether you turn everything else ON, or turn everything else OFF, you HAVE power coming in, which is your only concern anyway.

MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2017, 09:46 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
On my 2016 I plugged in to 110 and left batteries on

2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan!
2017 Jeep Wrangler Smoky Mountain
2016 Canyon Star 3710 SOLD
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 11:14 AM   #17

When in storage, I don't see the unit for over 5 months so the less that is being used in the coach electrical system the better. I have a battery disconnect on the chassis battery and have a Battery Tender to keep it up. On the house side, I shut off all power and have a multistage Battery Tender for them. I have done it that way for 3 years without an issue. I unplug, reconnect and go.
lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 04:34 PM   #18

I drive a 3710 CS. With 3 batteries I am guessing you have a Norcold refrigerator and one 1000 watt inverter for TVs. Like me you have a Progressive 60amp charger. I believe the "salesmans switch" does not affect charging of either house or chassis batteries - it shuts most 12 volt circuits off except for the Lp detector and refrigerator and maybe the steps. So ok to turn it off making sure your inverter is also off and you should be fine. I believe the BIRD system operates independently of the salesman switch.
2Escapees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 07:34 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Noobie 2011 CS3810 owner here. May I ask how you're plugging into 110v outlet? Using an adapter cable from 50a to 110? In my Newmar owners manual it states "Newmar Corporation does not recommend use of “adapter”, “cheater”, or “dog bone” style connectors that will modify the existing shore power cord to a different style of outlet".
ec3810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 06:27 PM   #20
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp View Post
So would it not make sense to leave house disconnect. Switch off so no loads to draw down batteries, .... the switch above entry door in monitor panel .
Thread drifting off subject. Other MH's are not Newmar's.
The 110 you are supplying is for your converter to charge all your house batteries and your chassis battery, charging controled by the BIRD or B.I.M. charging system.
The BCO needs to be on to do it.
You will have to check the water levels monthly if you do not have AGM batteries as I had.
If you do not want to do this than my advise is remove all your batteries and maintain them in your cellar for winter months so they will not freeze in the winter months.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:28 PM   #21

Bay Star Dead Battery

007, you and some of the other posters on this thread have said on a Newmar you just plug it in to the 110V and all or the batteries will stay charged. That is also what I remember from the Newmar Dealer I bought it from.

This is my second winter with a 2012 Bay Star here in Maine and last year the batteries all stayed up fine. It sets outside and we have had some brutally cold weather lately.

I just checked my coach and was going to start it but the battery, a 3 year old NAPA Legend, is dead. The ends of the battery case are swelled out so I would say the battery definitely froze. I was under the impression that the two house batteries and the coach battery all are kept charged as long as it is plugged in but mine didn't for some reason.

You have mentioned the "BCO" needs to be on. What is the BCO?

Thanks.

2012 BayStar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar, storage, winter