Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2019, 06:48 PM   #295

Specs say at 135 degrees no charging nor discharging. I will stay away from those temps!
CoreyinWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2019, 04:52 AM   #296

question

if you could get 3 450watt panels that each put out 48volts, it would work in parallel essentially pumping out 1350 amps at 48 volts correct? that would free up some real estate on the roof. Also might give some options downstream from what I have read.
robcol1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 06:18 AM   #297

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by robcol1966 View Post
if you could get 3 450watt panels that each put out 48volts, it would work in parallel essentially pumping out 1350 amps at 48 volts correct? that would free up some real estate on the roof. Also might give some options downstream from what I have read.
Nice to know the Voc and Isc from the data plate.

If they fit wherr you want them then sure they will work.

I was using AMSolar rocker foot mounts...and wanted my windloading to be comparable to what they use routinely. Huge panels have the potential to creat more lift. I also wanted the ability to tilt. Thats what led me to the panels I chose.

Electrically...the MPPT controller will do a great job. The way mibe are wired...I see around 42v from the array. I also was aiming to stay within the amp rating of my solar prep 6awg...

With actual panel ratings...I can do the math to male sure... I'm pretty sure you could even put four oanels up there and slugjtly oversubscribe. The mppt150/100 can be set to 100A or less for output. This basically limits what comes in from the panels.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:12 AM   #298

Quote:
More like a hundred amps at 12 volts, where can you find 450 watt panels?
Old 01-18-2019, 06:58 AM   #299

Well...apparently what I was looking at was an array. Sorry. Alibaba has one but it is only 32 VOC with max amperage 8.02 or something like that. Not sure all that math adds up. This has been a great thread. Slowly planning. ....
Old 01-18-2019, 03:38 PM   #300

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-SunPowe...5.c10#viTabs_0

I wonder how these compare? I don't know what the average amperage out should be. they seem low.
Old 01-18-2019, 03:54 PM   #301

Quote:

I wonder how these compare? I don't know what the average amperage out should be. they seem low.
Watts are voltage X amperage. so 10 volt panel at 10 amps is 100 watts. 100 volt panel at 1 amp is 100 watts. They have a higher voltage so amperage will be lower.
Could be grid tie panels but will still work with a MPPT controller.
Sunpower is very high quality, the 19.9% efficiency is excellent.
Price is great, but shipping not so much.
Old 01-18-2019, 04:56 PM   #302

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:

Well...you could easily run 4 or 5 of these in parallel. I would cut out a piece of cardboard the size of the panels to check placement.
Old 08-25-2020, 07:59 AM   #303

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have noticed that there are some new Victron products that weren’t offered when I built my system.

Victron has added a Cerbo GX. The Cerbo GX is a remote management tool, like the Venus GX and Color Control GX (CCGX). It is definitely worth a look.

Also, the new SmartShunt. The SmartShunt is basically a BMV-712...but everything is built into the shunt. No external remote display. Honestly, my remote display is in the basement and I rarely look at it. I normally see everything thru the Victron Connect App or VRM portal. It is also worth a look.

Just thought Inwould update the thread to include these new product offerings.
Old 08-25-2020, 09:57 AM   #304

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Martin View Post
I have noticed that there are some new Victron products that weren’t offered when I built my system.

Victron has added a Cerbo GX. The Cerbo GX is a remote management tool, like the Venus GX and Color Control GX (CCGX). It is definitely worth a look.

Also, the new SmartShunt. The SmartShunt is basically a BMV-712...but everything is built into the shunt. No external remote display. Honestly, my remote display is in the basement and I rarely look at it. I normally see everything thru the Victron Connect App or VRM portal. It is also worth a look.

Just thought Inwould update the thread to include these new product offerings.
Thanks Charlie!

Can you put the smartshunt in line with the Magnum shunt? I am sure it would help the Victron controller to know what the status of the battery is...

Thanks.
richpatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 10:08 AM   #305

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by richpatty View Post
Thanks Charlie!

Can you put the smartshunt in line with the Magnum shunt? I am sure it would help the Victron controller to know what the status of the battery is...

Thanks.
Actually, I've learned that you can do this... but not with two shunts. You simply connect the Orange/Blue wires from the Magnum BMK to the Victron Shunt blocks and you can run both at the same time.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f52/vict...ml#post4862471

Also Rich and Charlie, I installed the Victron SmartShunt last month - it works great BUT.... it's WiFi is week. I couldn't connect to it reliably inside the RV. So, to rectify this I added a Data Port Wifi Dongle Victron sells for $50. That's an easy plug 'n play But at that point you've almost paid for the Victron 712.

I would imagine that the Cerbo GX would eliminate the need for that dongle as well.
Old 08-25-2020, 05:31 PM   #306

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by richpatty View Post
Thanks Charlie!

Thanks.
If the solar charge controller is environmentally separated from the location of the batteries...then Yes...the Victron unit has the benefit (with add-on temp sensing accessory) to communicate the Battery voltage and temperature measured at the batteries. This does allow more accurate charge parameters coefficient adjustments for Lead Acid technology. Not really necessary to adjust charge parameters on Lithium...BUT the temperature can be used to prevent solar charging at harmfully low battery temperatures. Still nice to have.

You could add them in series...but you’ll double the voltage drop ... we’re talking millivolts.

As creativepart mentioned...you can replace the ME-BMK shunt with the Victron Shunt. Then add the orange and blue sense wires that go to the ME-BMK module to the appropriate blocks on the new Victron Shunt. The one shunt is adequate for each system to monitor. They both are looking for potential across the shunt. If no current is being passed...they will basically measure Zero mV. If 100amps is flowing...it will detect a voltage of 10mV (on a 50mV/500A shunt) depending on the side with the higher voltage...it can tell if you are charging or discharging.

I actually believe having a single shunt is a better idea because it is less places for resistance/bad connection to become a problem in the future. Keeping things as streamlined as possible.
Old 08-25-2020, 07:00 PM   #307

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Martin View Post
If the solar charge controller is environmentally separated from the location of the batteries...then Yes...the Victron unit has the benefit (with add-on temp sensing accessory) to communicate the Battery voltage and temperature measured at the batteries. This does allow more accurate charge parameters coefficient adjustments for Lead Acid technology. Not really necessary to adjust charge parameters on Lithium...BUT the temperature can be used to prevent solar charging at harmfully low battery temperatures. Still nice to have.

You could add them in series...but you’ll double the voltage drop ... we’re talking millivolts.

As creativepart mentioned...you can replace the ME-BMK shunt with the Victron Shunt. Then add the orange and blue sense wires that go to the ME-BMK module to the appropriate blocks on the new Victron Shunt. The one shunt is adequate for each system to monitor. They both are looking for potential across the shunt. If no current is being passed...they will basically measure Zero mV. If 100amps is flowing...it will detect a voltage of 10mV (on a 50mV/500A shunt) depending on the side with the higher voltage...it can tell if you are charging or discharging.

I actually believe having a single shunt is a better idea because it is less places for resistance/bad connection to become a problem in the future. Keeping things as streamlined as possible.
Got it! Works for me. Maybe I will swap out the shunts next year as I would like to replace the lead acid batteries with Lithium and it will be doing lots of work in that battery compartment anyway.

Thanks.
Rich
richpatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 04:40 AM   #308

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Actually, I've learned that you can do this... but not with two shunts. You simply connect the Orange/Blue wires from the Magnum BMK to the Victron Shunt blocks and you can run both at the same time.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f52/vict...ml#post4862471

Also Rich and Charlie, I installed the Victron SmartShunt last month - it works great BUT.... it's WiFi is week. I couldn't connect to it reliably inside the RV. So, to rectify this I added a Data Port Wifi Dongle Victron sells for $50. That's an easy plug 'n play But at that point you've almost paid for the Victron 712.

I would imagine that the Cerbo GX would eliminate the need for that dongle as well.
The Cerbo GX would connect to the SmartShunt via VE.Direct Cable. It may also have the newer VE.Smart networking ability to connect to other components via Bluetooth. The information would be accessible thru the VRM (Victron Remote Management) web portal. There are still times that a I prefer viewing the Battery Monitor details via the Victron Connect App...so, the dongle might be needed still for that. I wonder if the Bluetooth is weak on just your SmartShunt, or by design... that’s a design flaw. The whole idea behind having built-in BlueTooth is to enable communication...from your device remotely.

The WiFi built-in to Venus GX was also weak...but Victron designed it specifically for configuration...and recommended adding a WiFi dongle to the built-in USB port for reliable WiFi transmission. I am at a loss why they would put in a poor Bluetooth to the SmartShunt. Might email them. Takes some time...but they eventually get back to you.

Tags
install, solar