Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2016, 09:42 PM   #1

2016 Ventana LE 4037 AC / Insulation Report

Like many of you I'm always reading the forum looking to learn from other owners and their experiences with their coaches. Our coach is 40'11 inches with 3 side outs, one being a FWS so there is a lot of real estate to cool. We upgraded to two 15K BTU AC's. I have recently read some posts about the benefits of 3 AC's in their coach and that was not an option in ours. I would expect that there is no disputing that the more AC units the better.

However, we recently tested our coach out in some warm conditions and here are the results, and I must say, we were very pleased and somewhat surprised.

We were at Fort Wilderness in June for 7 days and during the day it was consistently between 94 and 96, humid as heck, and our site afforded us very little if any shade so we were in the sun as long as it was out. For the whole week those AC's were humming and we were able to keep the coach cooled to 68 degrees all week, with the fan on auto. There was not trouble what so ever keeping the coach at 68 and it was actually a bit chilly at times for the wife.

The next test was on a 96 degree day in MA we were leaving at night so I went into the coach around 8:00 am and decided for some reason, to only run one AC all day so when we got in the coach late afternoon it would already be cooler than if we didn't run it. Our coach is in the broad day light all day with no shade so it bakes in the sun. Much to my surprise, when I got home to finish packing at 4:00 pm, when it was 95 and humid out, the inside of the coach was an amazing 73 degrees with only 1 AC running all day! We couldn't believe it was that cool with only 1 AC running. We did pull the shades in the front side windows and the windshield shade but that was it. We were so surprised we double checked and the second AC was off.

So our conclusion, with the high level of insulation and R ratings in the 40'11" Newmar coach, is that we will have no problems with only two ACs. We are totally impressed and surprised by the results of these tests of the AC system.

snowhawk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2016, 11:07 PM   #2

Thanks for your report.

Similar to what we experienced with our slightly shorter (36' 8") Ventana, with 2 15's on the roof. It was 111*F outside. We were cool inside.

HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 09:26 AM   #3
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
Yep, same as our experience. On our last coach we put 15k AC on it. Folks with the 13.5K were always complaining they did not cool. Best decision I ever made. Put 2 15Ks on our VTDP 3725 and they work great. 110 in full sun in Vegas they cycled on and off about 10 minutes each time. Once the rear cooled, the front pulled most of the cooling.

Only issue I've had is the insane location Newmar puts the temp sensors. In the bedroom the sensor is on an outside wall. Have to run a fan in there or the bedroon either becomes a deepfreeze on AC or the whole coach becomes a sauna on the furnace. The nook the sensor in is like it's own microclimate.

Mark and Louene Hetrick
Newbee the last VTDP 3725
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 02:28 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just got home from five days in Tulsa OK. Stayed at Expo Square RV Park which is an asphalt parking lot with hookups. The temperature was over 100 degrees each day with the heat indexes into the 110s. If we returned between 3-6pm, the coach was at 75-77 degrees inside. This is in a Ventana LE 4002 with two 15k.

The front windshield/magnifying glass is the main culprit. The front of the coach got as high as 92 at the front electronics cabinet while the bedroom remained below 73 at all times.

The Magne Shade is on order and I believe this will help immensely.
unw1red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 08:37 PM   #5
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
One suggestion for really hot (100-120) weather. Your AC fan on auto comes on pretty slow. Set your fan to high and the coach should stay cooler. When the sun is blasting the front window, try turning on the over head fans (switch on dash labeled OHF) this mixes the air and softens the temp transition. Works great when driving into the sun on dash air also.
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent, ventana