Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2017, 11:24 PM   #1

2016 Ventana LE model 4044 owners

I would really like input from owners on how they like this coach. Positive's and Negatives. Fuel Mileage, chassis like or dislikes, etc. I found a 2016 coach that has not been sold and only has 778 miles on it - miles from Newmar to Concord . I think the price is very attractive. Exterior Color is light silver (Peppercorn I think) with Black furniture interior layout. It has everything we want in a coach. I will be towing 2014 Honda CRV. The coach has cummins 360 HP ISB engine and allison 3000 trany. How is your coach handling with this configuration? Dealer is Tom Johnson in Concord, N.C. Anyone deal with them and have you had any issues. I live 500 miles away so will not be using them for anything once I pull off the lot. I will use local Newmar dealers and certified shops for warranty and repairs as needed. I thought I couldn't afford a Ventana LE until this deal came up - I was settling, lols if you can call it that - for a very nice Canyon Star 3953.

Your comments greatly appreciated!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2017, 03:57 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
This was my favorite floorplan until the DW saw the 4037 model at the Tampa TV show. I questioned several owners of the 40' models and they had no issues with driving or handling.

reubenray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 12:52 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have the 4044 and love it. After 3 gasses should have got the DP first. We brought it 18 months ago and have had very few problems. PM me and I will give you my phone number and give you some specific things about the coach.
Switt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 04:23 PM   #4

I have tried to reach out to you and would like to speak to you. Please call me at your convenience. I left phone number two places.

Thanks!
Old 01-29-2017, 07:32 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
We picked up our new 2017 Ventana LE 3709. Like the floor plan and the great ride of this diesel. What I don't like is the door problem - same door noise as the 2014 Canyon Star that we traded in. Apparently, this door issue is a chronic problem with Newmar motorhomes. It is very irritating! We just had it back to dealer - left with same noise. We had a choice - a tiffin and Winnebago. I think we chose the wrong unit!

2017 Ventana LE 3709
bwaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 07:46 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaller View Post
We picked up our new 2017 Ventana LE 3709. Like the floor plan and the great ride of this diesel. What I don't like is the door problem - same door noise as the 2014 Canyon Star that we traded in. Apparently, this door issue is a chronic problem with Newmar motorhomes. It is very irritating! We just had it back to dealer - left with same noise. We had a choice - a tiffin and Winnebago. I think we chose the wrong unit!
What is the door issue?
Old 01-30-2017, 08:12 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
It makes a squeaking - rubbing noise when you drive down the road. Gets very loud and obnoxious. It was a problem in our Canyon Star as well went back to factory twice and to a good dealer once. Never solved. The only way to keep noise deepen was to wrap one layer of electrical tape around the door pin. Change it every 400-500 miles. Now we have a 2017 Ventana LE with same problem. And it seems to be a chronic problem with Newmar.

2017 Ventana LE 3709
bwaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 05:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamaliel Kid View Post
I would really like input from owners on how they like this coach. Positive's and Negatives. Fuel Mileage, chassis like or dislikes, etc. I found a 2016 coach that has not been sold and only has 778 miles on it - miles from Newmar to Concord . I think the price is very attractive. Exterior Color is light silver (Peppercorn I think) with Black furniture interior layout. It has everything we want in a coach. I will be towing 2014 Honda CRV. The coach has cummins 360 HP ISB engine and allison 3000 trany. How is your coach handling with this configuration? Dealer is Tom Johnson in Concord, N.C. Anyone deal with them and have you had any issues. I live 500 miles away so will not be using them for anything once I pull off the lot. I will use local Newmar dealers and certified shops for warranty and repairs as needed. I thought I couldn't afford a Ventana LE until this deal came up - I was settling, lols if you can call it that - for a very nice Canyon Star 3953.

You had the same questions I did about this unit.....I thought $149k for a brand new 40ft Newmar?? Something had to be amiss. I hope it all works out for you...travel safe!!
Ksjayhawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 04:16 PM   #9

I'll let you guys know how it worked out. I bought the coach and will be flying to NC to pick it up on Thursday. Will spend Friday checking it out and return it to it's new home in Florida over the weekend. Also, I called Newmar and inquired about the coach from them. They knew all about it. I asked Newmar to check the slideout bolt motors people told me where a problem and the front driver side control issue. Newmar immediately called Tom Johnson and told them to make all the recall and advisory issues on this coach were taken care of before I picked it up. Can't ask for anything more than that! I will find out all on Thursday afternoon.

Thanks to everyone for their inputs - hope to meet each of you on the highway or in a campground someday!
Old 02-02-2017, 09:33 PM   #10

Well, I flew into Charlotte today. I am spending the night in the coach tonight and we close the paperwork and do the final orientation tomorrow. All I can say is WOW! I had 2006 Dutch Star and this coach seems, from the home part of the coach to be fantastic! I have been blown away from the look and actual layout, quality, etc. of the coach. To be honest - it has everything that makes me happy to own it! If the coach performs as I expect it HAS to be the best diesel coach on the market for the money! Of course the price Ksjayhawker was/is fantastic and the only difference in price was their dealer prep fee and dealer fee - total of $2,500. I really can't argue with the price.

The size of the compartment doors and the underneath storage has been a pleasant surprise too. I have tested several things so far tonight and all are working perfectly at this point. The exterior of the coach is impressive and the interior depends on what you like. I personally like the dark finish - but would have preferred the lighter if I had had a choice.

The two small criticisms I have had of the coach is all 4 dining chairs are folding type - my wife can not sit in them comfortably - we will solve by purchasing an inexpensive parsons chair for her. The second fix has been taken care of - that is foot rest on the power passenger seat available in the 2017 model year.

The bedroom has a king bed - very comfortable sleep air mattress I like. However, the space around the bed is tight and it is very hard to makeup the bed it is so tight against the slide out. It would have been much better if the coach would have had at least another 12 inches total around the bed. If you don't have to have a king bed - we do - I would get the queen and the bedroom would be fine.

Obviously haven't had a chance to use washer and dryer yet, but everything else is working fine. Love the big frigerator and the ice maker is really nice - I didn't think I would want that - but apparently the whole house water filter system will make sure we have good water for ice. I will still buy bottled water for drinking though.

I like a couple of things on the engine side from the 2006 Dutch Star layout. First, the rear engine is clean and easy to get to all the fills. Second, they made the opening in such a way that the ladder is permanent and not folding - that was a pain in the 2006 Dutch Star. I also like the generator with a "hood" opening like a car rather than being on a slideout. As the coach aged that slide became an issue to get in and out. As I have aged that had become a huge problem.

The fit and finish of interior is almost perfect - actually much better than the Dutch Star was - although it was good! Newmar has clearly been listening to it's owners and making changes - although a little slower than many would like possibly- to make the coaches better for operator use.

I can't wait to get on the road and test out the drive and handling of the coach. If it is close to the fit and finish I have made a great decision - even after forfeiting $15,000 in deposit and cash savings on the order of the Canyon Star Coach I cancelled. It was a hard pill to swallow - but after getting into this coach that decision was a no brainer!

All I can say, at this point - if you are considering going to a diesel coach - give the Ventana LE very strong consideration. I think it will have plenty of power with the 360 Cummins Engine and 3000 Allison Transmission.

Thanks to all of you I have spoken to on the phone and thru emails. It definitely appears to have been a great decision for us!
Old 02-03-2017, 05:48 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for letting us know how everything is working out. While at the Tampa RV show we saw our first LE and I cannot see how anyone can call these "entry level" for they are fantastic!!

The Queen bed instead of the King bed is one option we want to do for the extra space.
Old 02-03-2017, 08:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamaliel Kid View Post

Last September we purchased a new 2016 Ventana 4037LA. Traded in my 2013 Allegro 36LA gasser. Only did so because we wanted more sleeping and passengers seat belt availability. Really liked the Allegro. Anyway, looked at several other models but was intrigued with the comfort steer offered by Newmar. DW was satisfied with floor plan, bath and a half was a must have with cherry cabinetry .
The drive home from Fort Meyers Fl. to Southern Jersey was so much more pleasant with the comfort steer. We made the right choice. Gone is the constant minute wheel adjusting to maintain a straight travel. The adjustable steering wheel tensioner was also a nice feature.
The name says it all. Comfort Steer!
I'm a do it your seller and have several upgrades I will install once the weather breaks. Can't wait to start on this new rig.

However, one issue I’m am trying to get an answer to is the use of the manual slideout locking arms. Below is a copy of my post with no real answer as yet. Will follow up with a call to Newmar shortly.

All in all, hope you enjoy your Newmar as much as we have so far.
Safe journeys!

We have a 2016 Newmar Ventana 4036 LA.
Does anyone use the slide out "manual locking arms" aside from the two easy to access arms just behind the passenger and drivers seats?

I can easily see not remembering to unlock the second locking arms on either slide and cause damage to the slide.

Just as bad would be the damage one may cause while utilizing the heavy, cumbersome locking/unlocking bar in such a tight access space. Can anyone tell me how to use this albatross mechanism?

I presently set up a "cover" flap over my slide out switches to remind me to unlock the "visible" arms on the two slide outs I presently utilize.

The bed slide out, is even more subject to damage since both sides have locking arms out of sight and difficult to access. A switch cover flap would also have to be installed over the switch would be my reminder for me.
Any help?
Old 02-03-2017, 10:31 PM   #13

I finally got to drive the Coach today and drove it only 100 miles. My first observations are:

1. Comfort Drive everything it was cracked up to be - really didn't expect it to be that much different - so easy to drive!
2. The 360 cummins engine with this 40 foot coach and no towing or having anything in the coach but me is not very powerful on this first journey. My drive was from Concord, NC to Greer, SC on I-85. Never could get the coach to reach 70. It seemed to keep 65 pretty well and running at 1800 rpm. Obviously, that is a comfortable drive speed, but I wonder how it is going to be when loaded and towing and more steeper hills and mountains.

3. Pac Brake works ok, but my pac brake on the 450 cummins Spartan Chassis seemed to be more aggressive - but I can't really complain - just different.

Sunday I will head back home to Florida and a 500 mile trip. I will keep you informed on notes from that drive. I am very happy with the overall fit and finish of the coach and I have to say after only one night I really love the sleep number bed. The refrigerator and ice maker work great and the TV's all work well and get a great picture just on the Wineguard crank up digital antenna.

One thing I did notice tonight. I left the coach parked for a couple of hours. When I got home I couldn't get the kitchen slide to work, I also couldn't get the windshield privacy shade to go down but about 40%. I realized the house batteries seemed low, as the generator didn't want to start - so I linked with coach battery and the generator started. After two hours of running the ginny everything seems to be working not. Note to self: either turn off the refrigerator or run the generator when dry camping. I thought I had the AGS on, but maybe I didn't. Never had that option before, so I am going to brush on how to use that option.

More to come!
Old 02-04-2017, 07:15 AM   #14

Thanks for the updates. I've been wondering the same thing regarding the power on the 40' le's. Safe travels

Tags
vent, ventana