Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2015, 06:46 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
2016 Ventana LE Single vs Tag for a new 4037 ?

I am reviewing decisions for placing an order for a Newmar 2016 floor plan 4037.... Yet my dilemma and question to the forum is the cost/value trade offs and decision to go with the Ventana LE single rear axle at a $45,000 cost savings, versus paying the additional money for a Ventana tag. I have been advised and counseled that the tag axle 400 hp Ventana is a better ride & handling for this 40 ft DP coach (true)... But unsure how well the 360 hp LE will perform on it's single axle. Also, unsure how Newmar's new STAR chassis platform will affect the LE... And if a shorter 38 ft LE is better suited for the single rear axle as compared to a 40 ft model. Insights much appreciated. Thank you.
wrbsab12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2015, 07:38 AM   #2

Unless you need the extra weight carrying capacity of a tag I would save my money and go for the single axle. I don't believe the tag improves the ride or handling to any measurable extent.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 08:18 AM   #3

If you do a search on this forum for "single axle vs tag axle" you will find a lot of information already discussed on this subject. Lots of opinions, of course. We are in somewhat the same situation as you are. We have decided on a Ventana 4037 and will be sending the build sheet to the dealer this week for pricing. One of the reasons we chose Newmar over Tiffin was that we could get a tag axle on a 40' coach.

We plan to full time in it and we chose it mainly because of ccc, but also for other reasons that are listed in the aforementioned threads.

Having said that, don't forget that a floor plan suitable to your needs is just as important.

Good luck and Safe Travels

Steve
sbahrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 06:25 PM   #4

We opted for the 4037 Ventana tag for the big advantage in CCC. We full time and wanted the capability to carry all we need. That being said, we did the 4 corner weigh at Escapees North Ranch this year and came in about 6,000 lbs under max. Guess the wife can collect a few rocks along the way !
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 07:48 AM   #5

We have a 2014 40ft DS and full time and fully loaded for us we weigh about 37,600 lbs of which the drive axle weighs in at 23,680 ibs which of course includes the weight of the tag. I think the new single axle is rated at 24,000ibs so you subtract the weight oh my tag and I do not think you would be weight restricted in the rear except for a heavy tongue weight for a tow vehicle if a big trailer is a consideration. You also have extra braking with a tag to consider. I have only driven a tag so I would not want to compare but your rear weight would be close to max but very doable I think! Good Luck
Centerfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 05:49 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
FWIW we have been through three coaches in our first year in an effort to find the right fit for us. Started with an Allegro RED 36 - wheelbase way too short - nightmare to drive. Then bought a 40' Phaeton (single axle) put 12,000 miles on it and then we took the jump and bought a DS 4018. I have driven a Ventana LE 38 so I have some frame of reference there too.

In my opinion, it all boils down to how much money you want to spend and how you are going to use the coach. If you are going to do short trips and not use it much, go for the LE - it is a great handling coach. If you are going to do extensive travel, especially through typically windy areas (west Texas) buy the Ventana 40 - the difference between the Phaeton (single axle) and the DS (tag) is significant in the wind. Of course the Comfort Drive and IFS don't hurt either! You won't be disappointed with whichever Newmar you buy.
gladwyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 06:44 AM   #7

Mid Atlantic Campers
Smile

Full timing I would definitely go tag axle for ccc. One week to one month camping and driving around a lot, especially fitting into state parks and tight camp grounds advantage single axle.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:59 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
As a counterpoint to the comments about the tag increasing your CCC... look very closely at how much basement storage you LOSE as a result of the tag. That extra axle and tire take up the space of an entire basement compartment. So if you can look at each of the coaches... think about where "stuff" will go.

I do agree that a tag improves the handling of the coach because of the increased wheel base, etc. But you'll have to determine if you want the comfort while driving... or more space to store stuff!

As they say... no RV is 100% perfect!

Best of luck!
Old 05-20-2015, 04:52 AM   #9
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Most of that additional CCC is unusable as there's just not enough storage space to place things.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 05:41 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Tag over single, we are fulltime folkes in a 2014 Ventana 4036. The advantages of the tag show up time and again on BAD roads, Bad weather, Bad wind !!!
Gsgarland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 03:34 PM   #11
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Being able to get a TAG on something less than 43-45 feet was one of the factors that first drove us to Newmar.

IMHO, the TAG makes a world of difference on high speed windy freeways over a single axle. The TAG just wants to go straight.

The extra CCC is just icing.

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 03:45 PM   #12

2016 Ventana LE Single vs Tag for a new 4037 ?

We F/T and the ride/CCC makes all the difference.
We have more than we need aboard, lots of extra space, and over 7K in CCC extra (37,300 vs 44,600). I would need to carry tons of lead to get close to it (am open to donations of gold bars).
The space left in CCC allows the tag to do its best for ride. And it is amazingly better! Heck, I did the infamous I-65 North of Indianapolis in the right lane with ease.
If you drive each config while empty it will make you see and feel the difference. And it is even better with a load.
IMHO, the 40 or 38 without tag; one should not ride differently enough from the other to matter. How about a 42?
Just my view (from my very comfortable) saddle.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent