Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2017, 03:06 AM   #1

2017 DS Under Slide LED Strip Lighting Controller

Does anyone know if the under slide LED strip lighting is connected to some kind of controller. If so, where is it located? I know where the on/off switch is but I don’t know if there is a controller involved as well.
specmga1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2017, 05:50 AM   #2

Since the LED's are such a low amp draw, I couldn't see a reason for a controller. I would think it's just a switch, but I've been wrong before.... once.
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 03:40 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I'll take a "stab" here at responding to your question based upon my own experience (and learning from Newmar after reporting I had a bad slide LED strip).....

The Problem: The LED strips are direct wired to the on/off switch in your overhead console but do include small contact switches at and on each slide that host LEDs. If one of the LED strips on the underside of your slides is not working (while another is) then its most likely the contact switch on the affected slide. The small contact switches are designed to to break power to the LEDs such that they will not come on when the slides are in the closed position.

The fix: Closing and re-opening the affected slide will usually result in the (normally open) contact switch closing and the light strip coming on as does the other one. If not, i.e. the small contact switch may be out of adjustment or the slide is not fully extended to the open position. In my case it was my BR slide where the contact switch is located on the interior inside wall of the slide behind the wall panel beneath the head of the mattress. I assume its similarly located in the same position on the forward LR slide. The interior wall panel BR has to be removed to gain access to the switch and adjust it. See sketch below. Hope this helps.

Name:   contact switch.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  18.0 KB
NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 05:53 AM   #4

Yup, ^^^^^^^ that happened to me. Just pulled the slide in and back out to make it work again.
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 11:06 AM   #5

We have 16 DSDP and just left Newmar with our warranty work repairs. One of the issues was the LED's in the bedroom slide would not always come on. The kitchen slide or the front slide has a contact switch to turn the lights on and off on the outside of the coach but the rear or bedroom slide does not. We found out the bedroom slide is controlled by the slide motor, if it does not "amp out" as they call it the lights will not come on underneath the bedroom slide.
NoDents4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 12:56 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Interesting thread and all the multiple switch's involved to attract options for people to buy.
Why all the switch's on slides, when one would suffice with a led indicator, to show, on or off, when all LED's are lite under slides.
All wiring to one termination block to chase troubles if one LED strip didn't work.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 05:21 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDents4U View Post
We have 16 DSDP and just left Newmar with our warranty work repairs. One of the issues was the LED's in the bedroom slide would not always come on. The kitchen slide or the front slide has a contact switch to turn the lights on and off on the outside of the coach but the rear or bedroom slide does not. We found out the bedroom slide is controlled by the slide motor, if it does not "amp out" as they call it the lights will not come on underneath the bedroom slide.
Our '17 EX definitely has a switch on the BR slide.
Old 12-01-2017, 11:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewillia View Post
I'll take a "stab" here at responding to your question based upon my own experience (and learning from Newmar after reporting I had a bad slide LED strip).....

The Problem: The LED strips are direct wired to the on/off switch in your overhead console but do include small contact switches at and on each slide that host LEDs. If one of the LED strips on the underside of your slides is not working (while another is) then its most likely the contact switch on the affected slide. The small contact switches are designed to to break power to the LEDs such that they will not come on when the slides are in the closed position.

The fix: Closing and re-opening the affected slide will usually result in the (normally open) contact switch closing and the light strip coming on as does the other one. If not, i.e. the small contact switch may be out of adjustment or the slide is not fully extended to the open position. In my case it was my BR slide where the contact switch is located on the interior inside wall of the slide behind the wall panel beneath the head of the mattress. I assume its similarly located in the same position on the forward LR slide. The interior wall panel BR has to be removed to gain access to the switch and adjust it. See sketch below. Hope this helps.

Attachment 184355

Have the same problem on a 2017 LADP. Question: which size of the slide is the switch on? Closer to front of coach or rear of coach? Thanks for the info. Have been chasing the problem for sometime!

Quinton
wqmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 02:04 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by wqmiller View Post
Question: which size of the slide is the switch on? Closer to front of coach or rear of coach? Thanks for the info. Have been chasing the problem for sometime!

Quinton
Left (forward) bottom corner of the BR slide.
Old 12-02-2017, 06:29 AM   #10

Thank you sir!
Old 12-02-2017, 06:32 AM   #11

Was at Newmar a couple of weeks ago and they worked in that area adjusting the height of the slide rollers. Could have been collateral damage, if you know what I mean [emoji853]
Old 12-04-2017, 03:16 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Possibly but it seems quite a few are having this same issue with the contact switch in the BR slide not making full contact (closing the circuit) when opening the slide. Hopefully Newmar's QC group has picked up on this and will make a production design improvement.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:11 AM   #13

This was on my list to have repaired on my 18DS. Yesterday I ran the slide out and it worked just fine. Maybe I didn’t run the slide out when I had the issue. Well, it’s fixed for now.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:30 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winepress View Post
This was on my list to have repaired on my 18DS. Yesterday I ran the slide out and it worked just fine. Maybe I didn’t run the slide out when I had the issue. Well, it’s fixed for now.
Don't feel bad, they can be intermittent and it happens. At least now you know how to remedy it.

Tags
light, slide, led