Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2016, 10:36 AM   #1

2017 Newmar Bay Star 3009 - why we chose this!

This is part 3 of a 4 part series giving our initial impressions of the 3009. I wanted to share this post before we do the final one because I think it's important you understand what we expected and desired before you hear more about what didn't meet or surpassed our expectations!

Why this one?

The short version: quality, length, carrying capacity and WINDOWS!!

The long version:

Basically the short version captures our "must have" list. That list eliminated MANY models. Eventually we got to the point of walking up to a motorhome at an RV show or sales lot and checking the CCC (cargo carrying capacity). If it was 3k or more, we were good to look further, if 2k or less it was a definite no. We actually had no idea how much we'd need so it was difficult to somewhat arbitrarily pick a cutoff but because we wanted to fulltime, we wanted to make sure we erred on the higher side.

Length basically eliminated most diesel models and we were fine with that. We were comfortable with gas based on our past experience and test drives of the newer models. We had the perception that the initial purchase, maintenance and fuel costs are all higher with diesel (although we did not do deep enough research to validate those perceptions).

We also by-passed many models because of our perceptions of quality. We knew we wanted a company with a good reputation for quality and service. So we concentrated on Newmar, Tiffin, and Winnebago. We loved the creativity and floor plans of other models and many appeared to have good quality but we'd be scared off by reports from others about their issues. So we just didn't want to take a chance - especially with slides - and again for fulltiming!

We basically eliminated Tiffin because they like dark colors and few windows especially on the passenger side which was on our must have list. We loved their basement storage though. Really roomy!

We felt most at home in Bay Star's. They had the quality and lengths we wanted. We loved the back window and the variety of floor plans. But most of the short models (30-32') had small passenger side windows (most of the time a small kitchen window) and full wall slides (we don't care for those for several reasons). So despite the variety, we skipped many due to the lack of windows on the passenger side. We like to camp in state and national parks and from our experience your campsite is on the passenger side whereas the drivers side looks into your neighbors camp (or the road or trees or bushes up close). We liked monitoring the kids from the motorhome windows while they are outside. We don't have kids with us any more but being able to see what family/friends are doing outside in the campsite when they travel with us was also important to us. But mainly relaxing inside while having a great view outside!

So, after a year of intense searching with the house sold and us ready to move into the RV that we didn't have, we were basically depressed that we couldn't find what we wanted. We had to admit defeat and figure out which of our "must have" list to compromise on. That was soooo painful! Should we look at 5th wheels again? If we can't have what we want, should we go for the most fun and economical (fuel wise) and look at class B's or B+'s? Should we go longer in length? Should we relax our quality requirements and hope for the best? The one criteria that we consistently didn't relax was passenger side windows. Long term I didn't think I could live without that and this is a lot of money!

So length was the easiest for us to relax (35-36'). But once we started looking at longer, the CCC dropped substantially on Bay Star's (for 2017 they finally put the longer ones on a 24k chassis!). So then we started looking at diesels but used shorter diesels are hard to find and we were nervous about assessing the quality of the care and maintenance in addition to having to learn all about diesels and what to prefer/avoid. But mostly we couldn't find shorter used diesels (new ones were priced higher than we wanted to pay).

So back to gas again. Over this last year of research and test drives, we decided we really preferred the new 6 speed V10 which was new for 2016 (VIN's with G in the 10th position only!).

So then we started to wonder if we could relax the CCC (and just carry less) and go with something that is 2000-2500 and a little longer than we initially wanted. Over this last year or two, we actually made 4 offers on various models and for different reasons they didn't happen. After the last one fell through, we gave up, rented an apartment (since we'd sold the house!), moved in and pondered what to do next.

About the same time we signed the lease on the apartment (6 months until retirement), we learned that the 2017 Newmar floor plans were coming out. Not expecting to find our ideal length and floorplan but hoping nonetheless, we got an advance copy of the floorplans and couldn't believe the shortest one had a floorplan that had 90% of what we wanted! Now what? Do we wait until we can see one in real life and test drive it? That wasn't likely to happen until October and we retire then and really wanted to be on the road. Do we trust that we have test driven and been in enough Bay Stars to know this model will work sight unseen? Will Newmar change things we've come to rely on in their earlier models? Will they implement the features in this floorplan in a logical way or will we hate what they've done? For example, this one had a large TV on the drivers side across from the sofa. Would they block the window with the TV? Or worse mount the TV on the wall and there is no window? We finally learned it was on an automated lift that dropped down behind the booth dinette and there was a large window there. So far so good but would they do something else we didn't like or expect? That happened to us last year when we thought the 3227 might be the model for us - we didn't like how the floor plan was implemented so we were afraid this would happen again!

So, because of our desired timing and confidence in the passenger side design, we decided to take a chance and order this model sight unseen. We were able to see the outside paint scheme and colors in pictures before we ordered but I did not care for the graphics nor the colors so we did a "special" and changed some of the colors which made it better (to us!). BUT was that a mistake? Would it look better on paper than in real life? What options should we choose? What specials should we ask for? We took our best guess and went for it.

That was May 2016 when we placed our order. We expected to pick it up in September but it was done a month earlier. So we had 3 months of wondering/worrying if we made the right decision(s). Overall, we are very pleased with it and the faith we placed in our experience of walking through many Bay Stars proved to be accurate. In my next post, I will share how reality compared to expectations - what we were pleasantly surprised with and what wasn't as good as we'd hoped!

Ellen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bay Star 3009.png
Views:	116
Size:	260.8 KB
ID:	138850  
lnanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2016, 12:13 PM   #2
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Ellen,

Thanks for taking the time to post this. Especially thanks for explaining your reasoning for the window and slide locations and your "arbitrary" 3K CCC rule. We are considering full-timing in our future and CCC will be important.

I have been leaning toward a DP, but you make some valid comments about the newer gas models. DW spotted a Canyon Star the other day and that sparked a new conversation about gas. We do have two items on our "really want" list: king-size bed and 1.5 baths. Not sure how easy that will be to find in a gas model (and in a Newmar). I guess it's time for more research through the Newmar website. (I find the brochure archives to be particularly helpful in viewing the past-years' floorplans and specs.)

I did search out your earlier reports on your new coach (Driving and Weights). I found them helpful as well. Thank you.
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:53 PM   #3

Hello Ellen. Your contributions in Parts #1-3 are simply excellent and immensely helpful. IMHO, the four (4) parts need to find their way into a sticky or the Newmar resource page managed by Mr. D. I eagerly await Part #4.
Traxless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 01:03 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm looking for a new RV and I also found your posting really helpful. Thanks for sharing!
Old 09-14-2016, 11:56 AM   #5

Really enjoyed reading your write-up. Looking forward to part 4.
AKConnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 10:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwk View Post
Ellen,

Thanks for taking the time to post this. Especially thanks for explaining your reasoning for the window and slide locations and your "arbitrary" 3K CCC rule. We are considering full-timing in our future and CCC will be important.

I have been leaning toward a DP, but you make some valid comments about the newer gas models. DW spotted a Canyon Star the other day and that sparked a new conversation about gas. We do have two items on our "really want" list: king-size bed and 1.5 baths. Not sure how easy that will be to find in a gas model (and in a Newmar). I guess it's time for more research through the Newmar website. (I find the brochure archives to be particularly helpful in viewing the past-years' floorplans and specs.)

I did search out your earlier reports on your new coach (Driving and Weights). I found them helpful as well. Thank you.
We have the Canyon Star and love it. We went with the 3610 because we wanted the bath and a half. The Canyon Star 3710 now replaces the 3610 and is only a few inches longer, they did that so you could have a king size bed and the bath and a half, other than the king size bed they are pretty much identical. It drives great, and has plenty of power. So yes you can get what you are looking for in the Newmar Canyon Star 3710.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 01:53 PM   #7
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
We have the Canyon Star and love it. We went with the 3610 because we wanted the bath and a half. The Canyon Star 3710 now replaces the 3610 and is only a few inches longer, they did that so you could have a king size bed and the bath and a half, other than the king size bed they are pretty much identical. It drives great, and has plenty of power. So yes you can get what you are looking for in the Newmar Canyon Star 3710.
Thanks!

I also noticed that the 2017 CS 3953 has a king plus 1.5 bath. Although the NCC drops down from 5406 to 3292. Not sure how good/bad that would be for full-timing. But, it still is above the OP's 3,000# minimum.
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar