Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2016, 04:55 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
2017 Ventana engine power

Well we were just about set on ordering a Dutch Star 4310 & then my wife threw a curveball at me to re-look the Ventana as she likes the look of the interior better. Question I have though is we would be going from a 450 to 400 hp engine but I think the tourque is the same? If I'm towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee do you think I would notice any difference and would it be sufficient climbing out west if we eventually make a trip out there?

It seems when ordering we can pickup almost all the same options so engine size is my one concern.

Thanks,
Brian
fsudelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2016, 06:30 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Brian,

The wife and I went through this same decision back in 2014 when we looked at both DS and Ventana. I learned the engines are actually identical just configured differently. I tow a 2015 Grand Cherokee and if not for the rear view camera I would not even know it was there. I have hit many significant grades so far and do not slow down or struggle in any way. The DS is of course a great selection but with the Ventana, you will be served well. It is truly a great coach.
KenNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 06:58 AM   #3
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
2017 Ventana engine power

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsudelt View Post
Well we were just about set on ordering a Dutch Star 4310 & then my wife threw a curveball at me to re-look the Ventana as she likes the look of the interior better. Question I have though is we would be going from a 450 to 400 hp engine but I think the tourque is the same? If I'm towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee do you think I would notice any difference and would it be sufficient climbing out west if we eventually make a trip out there?

It seems when ordering we can pickup almost all the same options so engine size is my one concern.

Thanks,

Brian

We did the same in ordering a 2015. Started with a DS, then wound up with a fully loaded Ventana for much less $$.

The are a few key items in the DS that you can't get with the Ventana. The 450hp, side radiator, independent front suspension, and since 2016 and above - the HWH tile floored slide outs.

The engine difference is negligible. The side radiator is a minus in my book since you loose a storage compartment, people are always complaining of dust kick up and I don't do any of my own maintenance so access is a non issue for me.

In 2015, the slide outs were identical. Now the HWH slides are a huge upgrade. IMO.

I drove both the ifs and the Ventana extensively. That alone was not enough to make me go the extra $ for a DS.

Note, that when ordering, you could get a DS with Ventana interior styled components.

Food for thought.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:02 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Great, that's what I was looking to find out. We have a 2014 Jeep GC so that's good to hear. Our current Tiffin on flat roads is great but just in the TN hills we slow down to 40-45. But that is a 6.7 340 hp with 660 torque.
fsudelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:19 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Brian,

I know those TN hills well and the ones in Virginia too. We often travel from NJ down to Louisiana to visit family so I use I66 and I81 and I75. On I81 & I75 there are some pretty darn good grades especially around Chattanooga but again, that 400HP will handle it with ease. You might like the fuel mileage as well. For that NJ to Louisiana trip I typically average 9.7 to 9.9 MPG and that is not exaggerated. I just let my cruise control do the work. Good luck with your decision.
KenNJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, power, vent, ventana