Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2017, 12:49 PM   #1

2018 Bay Star 3401 fws.....

Does anyone know how you are supposed to deploy (and retract) your fws on the gas Bay Star 2401, jacks down or jacks up? Same question for the bedroom slide.

Also, exactly what is a "flat wall slide" which you must get when you option in the new sofa/bunk bed on the fws? Is that different somehow from the std fws and why is it a must for this option? I am thinking it is the cog system but maybe it is not?

Any comments, experiences and knowledge is greatly appreciated. Will be ordering soon

Thanks in advance

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2017, 01:10 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Levelers down is how we do ours
bevo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 01:45 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
How were you instructed to do it when you went through your PDI with the dealer? If they did not specify, call Newmar and ask. Then do it that way!

We do not have a FWS on our BS, but when we bought it we were told to level first, then extend slides. Retract slides before raising jacks.

The reason we were told is that slides can bind if the coach is not level when you open/close them...
Old 11-12-2017, 02:06 PM   #4

We did a Newmar factor pick-up of our 2017 Baystar 3124 in July 2016 and took copious notes from our assigned tech's instructions. We were told to extend full wall- slide first and then level because if the full wall-slide needs any give while it is being extended it has that ability to do so. For breakdown- We Pull up jacks first and then bring in slides. We have been following this procedure and it seems to work fine.
REVJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 03:12 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
So a couple of different answers here. We were told when doing our PDI that we should level 1st and then extend the slide. Now that I have heard a conflicting statement I will call that customer service number and ask them for a written instruction as to which should be done 1st. My gut says that if I were not level and deployed the slide it could cause some damage. I have a 3401 with the FWS I would sure hate to do anything to put that long dog in a bind.
Blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 03:34 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
OK folks before we start getting in a bind ,we are talking about a gas coach ,could be a BAY STAR OR CANYON STAR, or OLDER DP, so lets not start to confuse the issue with HWH slides the OP is inquiring only about a gas coach operation only.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 04:04 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hi mpm2433,
Bay Star has the cog and spoke slide system on all slides. The slide deploy and retrieval process is the same as it has been for decades. Level with jacks, deploy slides. Reverse the process to retract the slides. Now for the caveat. If the site is really unlevel (one wheel or one side) consider checking the reveal first. If okay, extend the slides then level. Reverse the process to retract.

Jacks will make the coach level. However, jacks may twist the frame in a extremely out of level starting point. An example is if one parks and the left front wheel is very low compared to the other three. Bringing the left front wheel up so if it level with the other three will twist the chassis. Better to move the slides before leveling.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 04:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvlegaleagle View Post
Does anyone know how you are supposed to deploy (and retract) your fws on the gas Bay Star 2401, jacks down or jacks up? Same question for the bedroom slide.

Also, exactly what is a "flat wall slide" which you must get when you option in the new sofa/bunk bed on the fws? Is that different somehow from the std fws and why is it a must for this option? I am thinking it is the cog system but maybe it is not?

Any comments, experiences and knowledge is greatly appreciated. Will be ordering soon

Thanks in advance
I have a Bay Star Sport with 3 slides, one being a FWS. Newmar has posted an update to their FWS procedures, and by now it’s a couple of years old. It says in summary, that for the majority of the time it will be better to extend the FWS before you extend the levelers and try to level. What they basically tell us to do is before we hit the switch to extend the slides to get ourselves out of the coach and visually check the gaps (aka known as the Reveal) between the slide edge and the coach. If there is a good sized gap from top to bottom of both ends of the slide, extend them. If not try leveling and then recheck. The intent is to reduce the chance of the slides binding. The article applies to the FWS’s but it is good practice to check the gap on all slides before extending them, and then reverse the steps when retracting. Below is the text from their letter.

Motorhomes, as all vehicles, flex in travel. Flexing may be different due to terrain and the coach’s fulcrums (resting on tires or jacks). This is normally not an issue for coaches without a full wall slide-out. Although the jacks and the slide-out mechanism are both welded to the chassis frame, with a full wall slide-out, you have a large box (the slide), inside another large box (the coach) and they both flex, especially the coach. As the coach flexes, this movement is more noticeable in the outside reveal due to the wider slide-out.
Additional care should be taken once the coach is parked. Before operating the full wall slide-out, one should walk around the driver’s side and look at the “reveal” or “gap” of the two vertical wall trims around the full wall slide-out to make sure there is plenty of clearance so the trim will not rub when running the slide-out to the out position. If the gap looks good then the slide out can be operated. If the gap is tight in one or more places, try leveling the coach to see if that corrects it, then operate the slide out. If at any time there is cause for concern, do not operate the slide-out and call Newmar Customer Service.

PLEASE NOTE: Most often the gap will look best when sitting on the tires and not the jacks.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 05:03 PM   #9

We just got our 2017 Canyon Star 3914 two weeks ago. None of the slides are FWS. The Newmar service rep who walked us through our adventure last Sunday kept asking that. NO. They go from the door to the half-bath.

The dealer told us to:

Park, hook up to electric, put out slides then level. They said that the MH needed the slides out to level properly. This made sense to us; we've never had a MH and seemed logical. Now, reading all the info on slides the last few days, all of this seems logical.

Our MH is now at the dealer getting the non-door side slide motor and controller replaced. It died at the CG. We had to manually retract it with a socket wrench. No one, on their first MH trip EVER should have to do that. However, I really understand how slides operate now.

This was on our first outing ever in our brand new MH. We didn't bring a socket wrench and had to find one in the CG. (Always have a Socket Wrench; Lesson learned)

So, I will call Newmar and ask: What is the proper way?

The book says nothing about leveling. Just how to put out the slide: "Push the button, make sure the drivers seat is in so you don't hit it."
Old 11-12-2017, 05:05 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks for your instructions and description of mechanic's, Tom {Wildtoad) and GaryKD.

CHECK THE REVEAL is still there before movement of FWS.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:13 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogus View Post
We just got our 2017 Canyon Star 3914 two weeks ago. None of the slides are FWS. The Newmar service rep who walked us through our adventure last Sunday kept asking that. NO. They go from the door to the half-bath.

The dealer told us to:

Park, hook up to electric, put out slides then level. They said that the MH needed the slides out to level properly. This made sense to us; we've never had a MH and seemed logical. Now, reading all the info on slides the last few days, all of this seems logical.

Our MH is now at the dealer getting the non-door side slide motor and controller replaced. It died at the CG. We had to manually retract it with a socket wrench. No one, on their first MH trip EVER should have to do that. However, I really understand how slides operate now.

This was on our first outing ever in our brand new MH. We didn't bring a socket wrench and had to find one in the CG. (Always have a Socket Wrench; Lesson learned)

So, I will call Newmar and ask: What is the proper way?

The book says nothing about leveling. Just how to put out the slide: "Push the button, make sure the drivers seat is in so you don't hit it."
Sorry you had to go through what you did, I wonder how many new owners he has instructed what he told you.
Hopefully after your episode they have change their instructions to people.
Here is the instructions I have written up for manually extending your jacks which most of us with just slides have done for years.
This link is from the big thread on FWS's you just use the highlight information.
If you have AUTO LEVEL you can go into the main FWS THREAD for my thoughts on auto level. If you always do manually you will not have any trouble.
Old 11-12-2017, 06:48 PM   #12

Thank you Mr. Bond, , I appreciate all the info you've provided and have followed so many of your links.

The manuals and info provided by Newmar needs to be specific to the model. It's not; the Newgle site is very old and showing slide controllers for units 10 years old. Crazy!

They should be showing units specific to a Canyon Star and the years that have that controller. I hope that makes sense-from a woman who has to do all the repairs and figure out all the ins and outs. (DH is still working and tells me to figure it out...)
Old 11-12-2017, 07:04 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Some good woman in this world and my wife was one of them.
You have my heartfelt thanks for following me around here you will have your coach down pat and husband will be jealous of you.
I have not looked at the owners guide in this link but there maybe some better info on your slides we can both check.
Enjoy the forum and be safe when working around your coach I was always banging my head on open compartment doors.

OWNERS GUIDE --- SOME pretty good info on slides in OG a lot better than some I have seen so maybe it will help on other items also.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:10 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
I have a Bay Star Sport with 3 slides, one being a FWS. Newmar has posted an update to their FWS procedures, and by now it’s a couple of years old. It says in summary, that for the majority of the time it will be better to extend the FWS before you extend the levelers and try to level. What they basically tell us to do is before we hit the switch to extend the slides to get ourselves out of the coach and visually check the gaps (aka known as the Reveal) between the slide edge and the coach. If there is a good sized gap from top to bottom of both ends of the slide, extend them. If not try leveling and then recheck. The intent is to reduce the chance of the slides binding. The article applies to the FWS’s but it is good practice to check the gap on all slides before extending them, and then reverse the steps when retracting. Below is the text from their letter.

Motorhomes, as all vehicles, flex in travel. Flexing may be different due to terrain and the coach’s fulcrums (resting on tires or jacks). This is normally not an issue for coaches without a full wall slide-out. Although the jacks and the slide-out mechanism are both welded to the chassis frame, with a full wall slide-out, you have a large box (the slide), inside another large box (the coach) and they both flex, especially the coach. As the coach flexes, this movement is more noticeable in the outside reveal due to the wider slide-out.
Additional care should be taken once the coach is parked. Before operating the full wall slide-out, one should walk around the driver’s side and look at the “reveal” or “gap” of the two vertical wall trims around the full wall slide-out to make sure there is plenty of clearance so the trim will not rub when running the slide-out to the out position. If the gap looks good then the slide out can be operated. If the gap is tight in one or more places, try leveling the coach to see if that corrects it, then operate the slide out. If at any time there is cause for concern, do not operate the slide-out and call Newmar Customer Service.

PLEASE NOTE: Most often the gap will look best when sitting on the tires and not the jacks.
Yep, this is also what our tech at Newmar told us and the way we've done it for around 7000 miles now with no issues.