Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2018, 07:50 PM   #1

2018 Bay Star Slide Locks

On our new 2018 Bay Star several of the slide locks require much less effort than others and feel "looser". One in particular feels so loose that it feels like it could rattle itself into the down or unlocked position driving down the road. Could this actually happen? On a recent trip we are convinced that we engaged both of the bedroom slide locks before departing and once we parked only one of the locks was engaged.

Is this normal or is there any adjustment on the slide lock mechanism tension?
CUME91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2018, 08:33 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you have the manual slide lock bars and you look at the clamp in center of bar you should see a ball bearing that is to hold bar in position when locked.
The clamp may need to be crimped to close it tighter on ball bearing.
Bae needs to be removed and the clamp hit with hammer on wings of clamp.
Do not over hit the clamp, just a gentle tap until bar locks.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 07:02 AM   #3

Interesting, my 2013 Baystar does not have a ball bearing in the center. It works only on pressure when the bar is forced into the up position. There is no adjustment other than moving one of the end brackets inward. Perhaps the ball bearing idea is on the newer model Baystar or only on the higher end coaches.
Make sure the bars are not bent (warped) as that would shorten then and make them not lock tightly. They can bend if you accidentally try to move a locked slide. A buddy has this problem and his solution was to remove the bars and straighten them.
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 08:48 AM   #4

Polyian, on my BSS there is indeed a ball bearing on my manual slides ( just went and looked as it was news to me). There is a bolt on the lower arm (backside). This bolt is holding the ball bearing which goes into the hole in the upper arm. The ball is visible if you look through the hole in the upper arm when locked.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 11:09 AM   #5

As far as the slide locks are concerned some say to lock them when traveling other say you do not need to lock them? What is the right answer here?

Opening the slide(s) while locked is a definite no-no

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 01:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvlegaleagle View Post
As far as the slide locks are concerned some say to lock them when traveling other say you do not need to lock them? What is the right answer here?

Opening the slide(s) while locked is a definite no-no
The locks are to prevent the slide opening while you are in motion...they are useless when you are parked. Your choice whether to use them.
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 01:09 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I don't lock mine
jarata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 01:45 PM   #8

The tracking the high road answer is to lock them, especially if you will be running over rough roads. They are there to prevent the slides from coming out IF there is a breakdown in the slide mechanism. The practical answer is many people don’t lock them especially the ones that are between a wall and the slide end cause they are a pain to deal with. I am in the middle in that I lock the front locks I can get to, and leave the back locks undone.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 02:05 PM   #9

+1 for locking fronts only on our 2017 3113BS

SdieKick 2
tdavidstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 03:40 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
+2 on locking the front lock. It’s really the only one on our 3406 that is easily accessible. It rattles a bit and locking it cures the noise, but I’m also guilty of forgetting to unlock it that one time.

Bill.
FMCA: F482061 | NKK: 22422
We_B_Tripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 11:20 PM   #11

Slide Locks

We_B_Tripn: I had the same issue with forgetting they were locked(front that is) so I took a piece of paper and some electrical tape and cover the switches when they are locked. Once at the campsite I simply move the paper to the side and unlock the slide locks. When we put them in and lock the locks I put the paper back over the switches. I know it is crude, but has worked so far!

SideKick2
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D9149F26-DB65-4245-B137-421D8EDEC762.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	280.3 KB
ID:	200637  
Old 04-27-2018, 05:30 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdavidstone View Post
We_B_Tripn: I had the same issue with forgetting they were locked(front that is) so I took a piece of paper and some electrical tape and cover the switches when they are locked. Once at the campsite I simply move the paper to the side and unlock the slide locks. When we put them in and lock the locks I put the paper back over the switches. I know it is crude, but has worked so far!

SideKick2
That's a great idea. It's the KISS principle!
FMCA: F482061 | NKK: 22422
We_B_Tripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 05:47 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdavidstone View Post

SideKick2

We do this also. IF you screw up and bend a locking arm you’ll have an extra one for the opposite end when you replace the bent one. They’re only sold in pairs. I’m sure I don’t have to tell you how I know this....
We put a tennis ball between the arm and the window to eliminate the rattle.
Bill Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 07:03 AM   #14

2018 Bay Star Slide Locks

Bill Hunt: Tell us more about the tennis ball. Do you have a picture? Mine rattle like crazy over rough roads.....

SideKick2

Tags
slide