RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2018, 04:39 PM   #1

Spartan Chassis
2018 ds fws- 4369

I know this may not apply to most of the veteran RV owners. But it could since changes to coaches are yearly.

While closing my FWS (full wall slide) yesterday I heard a loud pop followed by another loud pop and some of the plastic from the bottom chain material flew out and landed on the floor behind the drivers seat. The slide then stopped moving. I tried to reverse direction but no go. I went out to look at the slide and the BACK was all the way in but the FRONT was still out 9”. I closed the coach up and waited until this morning to call Newmar CS.

When I called Newmar this morning I waited on hold for about a minute (not long). The tech listened to my problem and committed that someone else had the same issue last week, but his slide was out 22”. He put me on hold and soon after came back on the line to tell me He had Joe (from HWH) on the line and he would guide me through the steps to get the slide closed.

I got the slide in and closed. I told the Newmar tech that I lived 3 hrs from the factory and being retired I could bring it in anytime preferably sooner than later. He put me on hold, conferenced Joe back in. Newmar had no slots open for a few weeks, but HWH could get to it next Monday at 0800. Joe said they are also just 3 hrs away.

While it is not good that the slide got crooked and stuck, I knew things like this would happen when I got my new coach last month. But now that I see how Newmar and HWH resolve their customers issues Ifeel better.

NOW the reason for this long winded story. One of the steps N CS told me was to remove a magnetic panel behind the drivers seat to gain access to the hole where you stick this long rod in to screw the slide in.

I did not notice any panel that looked like it would come off by pulling on it. So I opened the lower storage door (below the accent light pedestal) and there was a black cap. I removed the cap and there was the hole to put the rod in.

Here are a few pics:

[ATTACH][ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	E1FF38EA-162A-48EF-A167-D04640492783.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	283.6 KB
ID:	200185[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

I did have to take the door off to keep it from getting damaged.
Hope this helps someone out. Especially 2018 4369 owners.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4A91B011-55C6-422A-9636-06821AA55B1C.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	241.7 KB
ID:	200183   Click image for larger version

Name:	77EE2275-A75C-432A-9278-A1A098DB6879.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	200184  

BodieJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2018, 06:44 PM   #2

FWS

I had a small issue with my FWS. Nothing as severe as yours. Mine shifted backwards. Broke some trim on the back wall of the slide as well as the rail trim for the bedroom door. It only did it once since I've owned it. (18 months)
Thanks for the info. I was aware of the magnetic panel on the aft wall of the slide at the bottom. I took it to Lowes for color match.
With yours being as crooked as it was, how did it not at least rub the bedroom door rail? Might want to look at it closely.
Good luck and be safe.
John

Webz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 06:54 PM   #3

I know about the one from a couple of weeks ago. He is a friend on mine and the same thing happen. In his case, he didn’t air up the suspension before bringing in the slide. He was not level and jacks were deployed. Totally opposite of what I was told to do, but I digress. When he brought the slide in it was “pinched” in the middle. The fix for him, bring up the jacks, start engine and air up, shut down engine, bring in the slide.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:03 PM   #4

We have been SOOOO careful with the FWS. I carefully inspect all the gaps and fit from the outside prior to putting them in or out. If satisfied my DW operates the controls from the inside. Just keeping our finger crossed that all three continue to perform. We only deploy or retract when on suspension, never on jacks.

It doesn't surprise me about Newmars CS. They are top notch in my book.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:26 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I had the very same problem on my first weekend with the new coach. I had to remove the cabinet to get the rod through though. Since then I have worked the FWS aired up, on jacks and aired down without jacks. All three scenarios seemed to work just fine.
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 10:45 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winepress View Post
I know about the one from a couple of weeks ago. He is a friend on mine and the same thing happen. In his case, he didn’t air up the suspension before bringing in the slide. He was not level and jacks were deployed. Totally opposite of what I was told to do, but I digress. When he brought the slide in it was “pinched” in the middle. The fix for him, bring up the jacks, start engine and air up, shut down engine, bring in the slide.

Agreed on that’s not what we were told. I have gone with Newmar’s recommendation to only open the FWS while on relatively level ground with air suspension fully aired up. Then when slides are out I dump air and deploy jacks. In reverse I retract jacks and start the engine to air up until I hear the compressor cut out, then I bring the slides in.

2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan!
2017 Jeep Wrangler Smoky Mountain
2016 Canyon Star 3710 SOLD
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 04:48 AM   #7

Spartan Chassis
Stuart, you are correct. In my case I was at home on level asphalt driveway. Not on jacks, I aired up the bags to ride height, brought the two PS slides in, then started the FWS.

Bill, glad you have not had anymore problems.

HWH said I did not do anything to cause this to happen and they will fill me in after I get there and they look at it Monday. Will update then.
Old 04-25-2018, 04:54 AM   #8

Spartan Chassis
Winepress, that’s what I told DW when she asked “what happened”? “Everything was working fine until it wasn’t”!