Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2018, 01:24 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to DSRamblers Send a message via MSN to DSRamblers Send a message via Yahoo to DSRamblers
2018 Dutch Star 4018 ladder question

I am in the process of purchasing a 2018 Dutch Star. I have a 2014 Dutch Star with a ladder on the back for getting up on the roof. I talked to the dealer about adding a ladder but he told me Newmar will not do that. He says it was due to the fact that there was no good anchoring points due to the integrated spoiler on the back. I talked to a friend who is looking at the Allegro Bus and he says Tiffin will add a ladder for an additional cost(it has a integrated spoiler on the back). My question is how do you who have the integrated awnings get up on your roofs?? I occasionally like to clean and inspect the roof and also clean the debris of the roof if parked under trees before pulling the slides in. Thanks in advance for your responses.
DSRamblers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2018, 01:45 PM   #2
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There are a lot of threads about ladders and many people have different opinions. This is the ladder I bought. I set it up between the two slides on the passenger side. The ladder goes above the roof line so you have something to hold onto when transitioning onto the roof. I would not go any shorter than this. I also carry a collapsable step ladder to clean the bugs off the windshield.

If you park under trees a lot you will need to unplug your drains.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

https://www.campingworld.com/regal-f...caArlGEALw_wcB
Old 11-19-2018, 02:59 PM   #3

I had a telescoping ladder until I saw a fellow up at camp Newmar while we were there use This One. Ended up finding a Lowes and bought one. Easy to use to get on the roof or as a step ladder for cleaning the front.
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 04:11 PM   #4
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinfla View Post
I had a telescoping ladder until I saw a fellow up at camp Newmar while we were there use This One. Ended up finding a Lowes and bought one. Easy to use to get on the roof or as a step ladder for cleaning the front.
I have the same ladder at home in the 26 foot version. It is a very good, solid ladder.

If I am reading the info on your ladder correctly it is 11 ft fully extended. The original poster has the 40' Dutch Star, the side rail on the roof is about 13 ft high. With the 14.5' ladder that I use, it will extend a foot over the rail so there is something hang onto when transitioning onto and off the roof. Ideally a 16' ladder is probably the right height.
Old 11-19-2018, 04:27 PM   #5

Xtend & Climb telescoping ladders! They are awesome! Make sure you get one that is weight appropriate!
All the best,
Jeff and Lynn
Jeff426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 05:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptw View Post
I have the same ladder at home in the 26 foot version. It is a very good, solid ladder.

If I am reading the info on your ladder correctly it is 11 ft fully extended. The original poster has the 40' Dutch Star, the side rail on the roof is about 13 ft high. With the 14.5' ladder that I use, it will extend a foot over the rail so there is something hang onto when transitioning onto and off the roof. Ideally a 16' ladder is probably the right height.
Sorry, I might have picked the wrong one as an example, but mine is long enough to get on the roof easily and stores in the rear bin.
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 11:30 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Newmar search --- ladders for coach and storing
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 01:07 PM   #8

I bought the 15 foot extend and climb. Looks like this:Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1999.JPG
Views:	260
Size:	367.8 KB
ID:	226683

2016 DSDP 4369, Freightliner Chassis, AF One brake system, 2016 Chevy Equinox
Tigerfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 03:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerfan1 View Post
I bought the 15 foot extend and climb. Looks like this:Attachment 226683

Just bought this same one: 15.5 feet and ridiculously heavy (35 pounds) and very hard to extend all the way even after nicely lubing with silicone.

I’m fearful of blowing my back out, if not having to learn to type with only 9 fingers.

It’s on the way back to Amazon now.

Perhaps the Little Giant will be the better and more flexible way to go.
CaptainGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 03:59 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainGizmo View Post
Just bought this same one: 15.5 feet and ridiculously heavy (35 pounds) and very hard to extend all the way even after nicely lubing with silicone.

I’m fearful of blowing my back out, if not having to learn to type with only 9 fingers.

35 Lbs is not that heavy for a ladder that will safely take you to a 12-13 ft roof. For safety reasons the base should be at least 3-4 ft from the coach, which means that the ladder has to be somewhat substantial to support the weight as you climb. I have a folding Werner 16 ft. It weighs 40 Lbs, and is solid and secure.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 06:16 PM   #11

Location: Not Sure, but I think I should have turned left at Albuquerque
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainGizmo View Post

When I lower the ladder I start from the bottom rung and with my left hand I hold a rung above the one that is going down and with my right hand I push in the locking tabs and slowly lower it with my left hand. And repeat all the way up. It is a lot easier than using both hand and pushing in the locking tabs while making sure your hands are out of the way. If it doesn’t make sense I can try to make a video.
FlaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 06:50 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I bought a telescoping ladder that is 16.4' and it works good. Pretty stable for this type. I can't remember the name but will get it if anyone is interested.
Old 12-20-2018, 08:22 PM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"DSRamblers"....If you were to add a ladder to the new coaches with the rear spoiler, it would have to arc up and over the spoiler to be safe. If it did that, you would be so tall, that you might start clipping bridges. I guess they could make a spoiler that had an opening, but the coach really looks cleaner without the ladder.

As you can see, many of us bought telescoping ladders. I also went from a 2014 DS with a ladder to a 2019 without. I'm a chunky guy, so I bought this one on Amazon. It's rated to 330 pounds.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

On a side note.... many of us found that if you add a shelf to the bay, just behind the front door, a telescoping ladder will fit perfectly there, taking up very little space. Just like "ptw", I also carry one of the folding (folds to 4" square x 7' long) for doing the windshield.

Lastly, I didn't want to pull out the telescoping ladder when at home. I have a Little Giant, but it's too heavy and too much work to use. For Christmas my kids bought me a 16' one piece fiberglass straight ladder from Home Depot. I'm going to cut a foot or so off and use it just for accessing the roof at home.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 06:56 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There have been many discussions here about the absence of a rear ladder and all of these discussions become "which ladder should I buy?", let me go in another direction. Why do we care about a rear ladder?

I DO NOT MISS THE BUILT IN REAR LADDER!

I thought I would, but now we are 3 years into this DutchStar and here is what I have found.
1. An angled ladder (any angled ladder) is so much easier to climb up to the roof on vs. the straight vertical built in ladder.
2. I am 230 pounds and that back ladder always worked but I never really felt good about it.
3. If I am headed to the roof, I am carrying tools, hose, portable pressure washer, sealant, whatever. It is far easier to climb an angled ladder while carrying stuff than it is to climb the vertical.
4. Most important, I can move the portable ladder anywhere around the coach giving access to the entire unit and not just the rooftop from the back.

We were all trained to believe a motorhome should have a built-in ladder but believe me, it is absolutely not necessary.
Norm Mac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dutch star