Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2018, 08:01 PM   #183

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
2018 Spartan Shocks

Tom I used a 1/2 inch impact wrench to loosen and retighten and I’m sure it’s close. I looked at the Spartan cd and I understand the Notches thank you. And mine are correct. Let me know if I can help stuart

I should have added, without a pit or rack a torque wrench will be a challenge to maneuver.
Also if your generator slides out , it helps with the drivers side
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2018, 08:30 PM   #184

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
For anyone curious, here’s a picture of the notches we are talking about
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3656.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	345.2 KB
ID:	211467  
Old 07-19-2018, 07:41 AM   #185

Spartan Chassis
A correction to my post yesterday regarding my shock replacement. Checked with Cummins who did work. It was not the mounting bracket that was removed to install the shock. It was a shield covering the lower shock mount. Sorry for any confusion.
lagawne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 07:44 AM   #186

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
2018 Spartan Shocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagawne View Post
A correction to my post yesterday regarding my shock replacement. Checked with Cummins who did work. It was not the mounting bracket that was removed to install the shock. It was a shield covering the lower shock mount. Sorry for any confusion.

Interesting, mine had no shields on the bolts.
Made me curious so I looked, no shields in the diagram or parts list.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7081.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	215.4 KB
ID:	211515  
Old 07-19-2018, 08:24 AM   #187

After discussing with Newmar and the Spartan rep, they sent me to the local Spartan dealer in Austin for evaluation. They are going to go through the basics, ride height and then air compressor governor.

I dropped it off yesterday afternoon. The local service manager said they had one of these issues recently. Apparently they changed them to Koni shocks. So it was not likely under warranty.

Will keep everyone posted.
Jaguar56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:38 AM   #188

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar56 View Post
After discussing with Newmar and the Spartan rep, they sent me to the local Spartan dealer in Austin for evaluation. They are going to go through the basics, ride height and then air compressor governor.

I dropped it off yesterday afternoon. The local service manager said they had one of these issues recently. Apparently they changed them to Koni shocks. So it was not likely under warranty.

Will keep everyone posted.

Don’t take no for an answer,Spartan has provided at least a dozen sets so far
Old 07-19-2018, 09:22 AM   #189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
Don’t take no for an answer,Spartan has provided at least a dozen sets so far

We will dig in. The Spartan rep seemed ready to admit they had a problem on the call, but not quite.

I can understand wanting to avoid a recall, but the universe of affected coaches seems pretty low at this point. Maybe a couple hundred? Likely not even that high.

It would be smart marketing to just get ahead of this.

On a positive note, just driving the coach to the service center put a smile on my face. Even in I35 traffic in Austin. We really do love it.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:24 PM   #190

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We're in Charlotte having our annual service done. When I went into the office to discuss the service, I mentioned porpoise problem to the service writer. He said they would check the shocks to see which shock was installed and if it was the weak one they would change them out for the more damped version, free. Sounded good to me. The tech (Kyler) checked the ride height, said it was off, replaced the front shocks and found a bad bearing on the idler arm. There were other bits and pieces that he found and corrected in addition to the normal annual service. The coach was a different animal when I got it back, much more solid feel. I haven't driven it across a "whoop di do" yet, but it certainly feels good.
Excellent service experience at the factory, got all my "spare" filters used and new "spares" to carry.
The factory is not convenient to most folks, but if you're planning a trip anywhere near Charlotte, its worth a side trip to get this level of service. We made our appointment for next year, their calendar fills up fast.
Highly recommended.

Bob
BBorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 07:55 PM   #191

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBorgo View Post
We're in Charlotte having our annual service done. When I went into the office to discuss the service, I mentioned porpoise problem to the service writer. He said they would check the shocks to see which shock was installed and if it was the weak one they would change them out for the more damped version, free. Sounded good to me. The tech (Kyler) checked the ride height, said it was off, replaced the front shocks and found a bad bearing on the idler arm. There were other bits and pieces that he found and corrected in addition to the normal annual service. The coach was a different animal when I got it back, much more solid feel. I haven't driven it across a "whoop di do" yet, but it certainly feels good.

Excellent service experience at the factory, got all my "spare" filters used and new "spares" to carry.

The factory is not convenient to most folks, but if you're planning a trip anywhere near Charlotte, its worth a side trip to get this level of service. We made our appointment for next year, their calendar fills up fast.

Highly recommended.

Bob

This is what’s so frustrating, Spartan knows it’s a problem, yet all of the Spartan players are not on the same page. Clearly a Hidden Warranty!
Old 07-20-2018, 08:58 AM   #192

Just got a call from the Service Center. They won't be able to do much until next week. But in the test drive they were asked by Spartan to note the number of bounces after hitting a bump. He was counting 5-6. So he could understand where the shocks seem mushy.

But Spartan is not committing to anything before looking at ride height and air system governor setting.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:24 AM   #193

Does the amount of bounce depend on how much or little you have on the front axle or any axle?

If someone picks up the coach and it is not loaded will it mask or magnify the problem?

Based on what we know are the 2019 have the new and improved damped shocks?
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 09:26 AM   #194

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck53 View Post
Does the amount of bounce depend on how much or little you have on the front axle or any axle?

If someone picks up the coach and it is not loaded will it mask or magnify the problem?

Based on what we know are the 2019 have the new and improved damped shocks?

In our case the coach could not have been much more empty. We had just picked it up and had almost nothing in it.

Just guessing that more weight would make it worse.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:39 AM   #195

Quote:
Just got a call from the Service Center. They won't be able to do much until next week. But in the test drive they were asked by Spartan to note the number of bounces after hitting a bump. He was counting 5-6. So he could understand where the shocks seem mushy.

But Spartan is not committing to anything before looking at ride height and air system governor setting.
They're asking me to video and count the bounces. We could not duplicate near Junction City, but about 10 miles out of town on our way north we hit one of those ramp and dips and the usual havoc ensued. didn't have the cellphone ready to video but we counted 8 bounces before settling back to normal
Old 07-20-2018, 09:51 AM   #196

Quote:
In our case the coach could not have been much more empty. We had just picked it up and had almost nothing in it.

Just guessing that more weight would make it worse.
Yikes hope the new and improved shocks fix...this for all and future purchases!
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shocks, spartan