Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-05-2018, 09:41 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
BBelanger's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Caribou, Maine
Posts: 1,795
2018 Spartan Shocks

Anyone else have experience with the Spartan shocks on the 2018 43 footers? I've spoken with Newmar as well as Spartan. Spartan says it might be my ride height, but if they check it, and it is correct, I have to pay. My front end seems to bounce more than it should, but other than the one thread saying he got his replaced with heavy duty for free, which I can't seem to find again, I've not heard of anyone else having this problem. Anyone else have an issue?
__________________

__________________
Bill & Chris Bélanger
'04 Georgetown XL > '17 4018 DSDP FL > '18 DSDP 4327 K2
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon 2 Door
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2018, 09:45 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
rewillia's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Lake Charles (domicile)
Posts: 1,016
Have a '17 Essex w/K3 and all is good, 17k miles driven since new (Sep-16)
__________________

__________________
Finding The Roads That Await Us
Rick & Lydia Williams
2018 Newmar Essex 4553
NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 09:58 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Stuart W's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: LA CA
Posts: 4,262
Bill I have a pretty severe bounce over ramped up fwy bridges (common in So Cal) one high deflection upward, flowed be 2 or 3 more up and down cycles. On the large ones it can be very eye opening. Spartan also told me the same thing about having it checked on my Dime, they would pay to correct ride hight if it were off, but even after this exercise, the shocks unless failing would not be covered and upgrading to the heavy duty version is on the owner.
__________________

2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan!
2017 Jeep Wrangler Smoky Mountain
2016 Canyon Star 3710 SOLD
Stuart W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 10:03 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,364
The King Aire comes with a 60 mm front shock and the rest get a 46 mm front shock. I would think the big shock would give better ride on poor roads. They also make a air valve that can be put on before the air goes inti air bag that slows the air movement which would also reduce air bag movement of air which would tighten up front end.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 10:27 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Tranquil Jim's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Posts: 1,474
There are significant differences between the K2 and K3 chassis. That's one of the reasons why we selected the MA vs the DS. I am in no way suggesting that the K2...or, by extension, the DS...are bad; just with the heavier coaches, I think the K3 resolves some handling issues.

TJ
__________________
Jim (W7DHC), Diane & Mini Schnauzers, Lizzy & Ellie
2018 Mountain Aire 4047 + 2014 CR-V toad
Tranquil Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 10:30 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
BBelanger's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Caribou, Maine
Posts: 1,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom chelbana View Post
The King Aire comes with a 60 mm front shock and the rest get a 46 mm front shock. I would think the big shock would give better ride on poor roads. They also make a air valve that can be put on before the air goes inti air bag that slows the air movement which would also reduce air bag movement of air which would tighten up front end.
Spartan told me the "heavy duty" version of my shock is the same shock with different valving. As many of us are experiencing unpleasant effects from the standard shock, Spartan should pay attention. I've been between the local Spartan service center, Spartan, and Newmar CS this morning. Pretty much if I'm not happy, I can pay to get it upgraded. I expected more from Spartan to be very candid.
I have a contact at Spartan and I will email him as well as CS at Newmar, just to be on record.
__________________
Bill & Chris Bélanger
'04 Georgetown XL > '17 4018 DSDP FL > '18 DSDP 4327 K2
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon 2 Door
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 10:32 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
BBelanger's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Caribou, Maine
Posts: 1,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
There are significant differences between the K2 and K3 chassis. That's one of the reasons why we selected the MA vs the DS. I am in no way suggesting that the K2...or, by extension, the DS...are bad; just with the heavier coaches, I think the K3 resolves some handling issues.

TJ
With only a change in the shock they could make the K2 much better. Pretty cheap fix if you ask me. The K2 corners better than the Freightliner, but now I have that unpleasant bounce. DW noticed it day 1.
__________________
Bill & Chris Bélanger
'04 Georgetown XL > '17 4018 DSDP FL > '18 DSDP 4327 K2
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon 2 Door
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 10:46 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,411
The current MA has the 46mm shocks. Are they different or tuned different to the DS 46mm. The 60mm are installed only on KA? Does that seem right? The info came from the Spartan Website for 2018 models.
Canuck53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 10:49 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Stuart W's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: LA CA
Posts: 4,262
2018 Spartan Shocks

Koni shocks are 56mm for the DS
__________________

2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan!
2017 Jeep Wrangler Smoky Mountain
2016 Canyon Star 3710 SOLD
Stuart W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 10:59 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
BBelanger's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Caribou, Maine
Posts: 1,795
Here are the email contacts for Spartan that I have.

Joel.Badskey@spartanmotors.com
or/and
Michael.butler@spartanmotors.com

Maybe if they get enough complaints, they'll look into it.
I emailed Joel and Michael as well as Newmar just now.
__________________
Bill & Chris Bélanger
'04 Georgetown XL > '17 4018 DSDP FL > '18 DSDP 4327 K2
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon 2 Door
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 11:00 AM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Lake County, Ohio
Posts: 10
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBelanger View Post
Anyone else have experience with the Spartan shocks on the 2018 43 footers? I've spoken with Newmar as well as Spartan. Spartan says it might be my ride height, but if they check it, and it is correct, I have to pay. My front end seems to bounce more than it should, but other than the one thread saying he got his replaced with heavy duty for free, which I can't seem to find again, I've not heard of anyone else having this problem. Anyone else have an issue?
Have a 18' DS 4018 on Spartan and the bounce since day 1. Returned to dealer and they did tire balancing, helped some but still very noticeable to the point the front visor and shade bounce up and down going down the road. Newmar passed me off to Spartan. Spartan told me to have ride height checked and not covered under warranty. Sad. I will be taking to a Spartan garage they suggested and see what's up. It is also hard to keep in one lane. Constantly sawing on the wheel back and forth, can't take eyes off the road for 2 seconds. Not fun to drive right now.
MJM1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 11:03 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
BBelanger's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Caribou, Maine
Posts: 1,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJM1954 View Post
Have a 18' DS 4018 on Spartan and the bounce since day 1. Returned to dealer and they did tire balancing, helped some but still very noticeable to the point the front visor and shade bounce up and down going down the road. Newmar passed me off to Spartan. Spartan told me to have ride height checked and not covered under warranty. Sad. I will be taking to a Spartan garage they suggested and see what's up. It is also hard to keep in one lane. Constantly sawing on the wheel back and forth, can't take eyes off the road for 2 seconds. Not fun to drive right now.
Thanks for the response. Please send your comments to Newmar as well as to the two email addresses I listed above. I thought it might only be the 43 footers, but since it's an issue on the 4018 as well, maybe we can get something done.
__________________
Bill & Chris Bélanger
'04 Georgetown XL > '17 4018 DSDP FL > '18 DSDP 4327 K2
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon 2 Door
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 11:20 AM   #13
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Lake County, Ohio
Posts: 10
Blog Entries: 1
I will be at the factory in a couple of weeks for other issues. Hopefully they will step up if not resolved by then. Last coach was a 13' Ventana that I could easily put 600 miles a day on if need be. I'm wore out after 350 on this one.
MJM1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 11:27 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
Koni shocks are 56mm for the DS
This came from Spartan. Maybe they have changed to Koni?

http://www.spartanmotors.com/wp-cont...Spec-Sheet.pdf
__________________

Canuck53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
shocks, spartan



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spartan Summit Chassis Shocks Whaler2 Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum 1 07-20-2016 05:02 AM
Koni shocks or stay with Bilstein gas shocks bruscillo Tiffin Motorhomes Owners Forum 5 08-06-2014 02:06 PM
Spartan shocks xplorer33 Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum 17 06-27-2014 07:40 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.