RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2019, 04:06 PM   #43

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Looks like we are way behind the curve for this year. Maybe next year.

Lady Di is a balloon fanatic and I know she would enjoy attending. We are usually at our Montana place in October, so it would not be all that much trouble to to run down to ABQ...if the weather is good. We do get the occasional early snow in Montana during October, however, so that would be something to keep in mind.

TJ.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2019, 04:07 PM   #44
Newmarian

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
TJ, I've got you covered. Just have a blue ox connection installed on your front bumper and you can be my toad any day!

NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 04:38 PM   #45

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
TJ, I've got you covered. Just have a blue ox connection installed on your front bumper and you can be my toad any day!
Does New Mexico allow "quadruples?" Some states out here allow triples, but I've never seen a quad.

Thanks for the offer.

TJ
Old 02-10-2019, 04:19 PM   #46

[QUOTE=ptw;4621284]I booked the night before the rally in the Tucumcari KOA.

Go to the chamber of commerce for a map of all the murals in Tucumcari. Its located on the main st in town. This town is great!
bizzerbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 05:05 PM   #47

Neal & All, I just saw this thread for the first time. Ruth Ann and I are your Hosts for the Fiesta in October. I read the other thread you were active on this weekend om the charge settings on the Magnum Inverter/chargers from beginning to end yesterday. Anyway, If you all have any questions just shoot them out here. We have not yet seen the list of names who were lucky enough to get one of the 25 Balloon Fiesta sites this year. I now have about six names from this thread though. We will be arriving in Edgewood about 3-4 days before the rally start to finish up last minute details. We will be staying with friends. I will subscribe to this thread so as to see all the posts in case you want me to chime in. Ruth Ann and I look forward to meeting you all.
Joel & Gail Docter Thanks for the kind words about our Hosting. We will try to make the event even better this October. All of you do start praying for great weather. Last year was not perfect but not bad. The year before last was almost perfect.

Ted & Ruth Ann Hindes
AZ NKK State Directors and Hosts of the 'Gathering in the Desert' and Balloon Fiesta 2018 & 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
Old 02-10-2019, 05:54 PM   #48

I've never been to the baloon festival ... what are the dates? Are there boon docking opportunities to stop to take in the balloons? I imagne the commercial campgrounds jack up their prices around this kind of event. Anyway, depending on the dates, I might be able to work in a stop between Sun and Fun in Lakeland Florida in April and Glacier National park end of July. Peter
PeterFTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:01 PM   #49
T46

Lake Havasu

I took in the Balloon Fest at Lake Havasu's last one and thought it was very well done. Would recommend it to those interested.
T46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:03 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
We did the Balloon Festival several years ago and have some tips.

-Try and get camping at the balloon festival, dry camping on site was fine when we went. The reason for this, you can camp elsewhere and drive in, but the traffic can be a nightmare.

-The weather plays a HUGE role if the balloons are going to fly. Make sure you book for at least 3-4 days as they may not launch for 2-3 days at a time. When we went, they didn't launch until the third day of the Festival.

-They launch at o dark thirty, hope you're an early riser. Moving around inside the event is mostly on foot.

-Once they launch and disappear, usually by about 10:00am, you're on your own. They have some booths around the football field, but you can see those in about an hour or so. Consequently, you need to find some entertainment. We spent one day driving to Santa Fe to sightsee and dinner.

-One night, all of the balloons will inflate in the football field, just so you can see them. That's pretty cool to watch. It can be cold during the Festival so bring warm clothes.

-There is a Camping World nearby if you need any supplies.

Lastly, this is one of the largest events in the country for RV's. With the lack of activities in the area, this would be a perfect place for a large RV Show, but no one has figured that out yet.
Been a few times. Dry camping unless you get into the premium areas. Water trucks and sewer pumpin is available. Shuttle buses take “RVers” across the parking area to the launch field. Launch field is much larger than just a football field. Very well organized and lined out. The hot air balloon museum is interesting. Day trips to ABQ and surrounding areas are fun. Weather can be 40-70. One year we did the hotel thing because the RV was in the shop and had very little trouble driving in, be patient. Sometimes you pay, other times you’ll be waved through. Avoid the downtown “old town” as all the tour busses stop there and it can be just like being in a cruise ship tour. Reservation for individuals are usually done (or scooped up) the last week in October, 50 weeks out so if you are planning on going, good luck on your own. Worth the trip.
Kbwahl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 10:31 PM   #51

We have a spot. Wanted to go with NKK but knew if I wanted a guaranteed spot I had to get it in October. We would be interested in a get together before or after. We live in Texas so our drive is only 7 hours.
2 old farts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 11:11 PM   #52

Went last year

Not part of any group but we decided to go to the fiesta on the way from the east coast to our winter location in Phoenix.
We are not into boondocking but were willing to for a few days.
We had to book 3 different places in New Mexico to be close to Albuquerque at fiesta time. We were planning a 6 week stay in the area and had to book middle weeks near Roswell to find a spot. We did actually get lucky and were able to extend at our first booking through the Fiesta and we are already booked through for 2019. We booked in October.

It may not be an issue for many but booking on Fiesta grounds is ridiculously expensive and it is basically dry camping with occasional water and "honey wagon" service. Other areas near the field are packed very tight with no services but you can walk to the event from the RV field. It can be very cold at launch time.
The best plan is to go to a local shopping center for shuttle busses to the fairgrounds but these busses only run on the weekend. Parking on the event grounds cost more than admission.

We loved the event, but the mass ascension on the first morning was the highlight. There was bad weather for the next two days and not much happened. There are other activities on site but most have little to do with ballooning . The Balloon Museum was surprisingly a good experience. The special shapes ascension mid week was also good. The bulk of the activity takes place before 10AM with the balloon glow being the only activity at dusk.

Driving in the area can be a nightmare. you are routed to certain roads to enter the event field and even highway roads are blocked off.
We stayed very close to the launch field and needed special passes to get back to our site. Those RV's that caravan to the event will find slow going as you are funneled into the RV parking fields. Most of the balloon teams travel in RV's also but I think they have a reserved section for parking.

You don't need to be on the field to get a good experience. Some balloons launch from open fields out ide of the fiesta grounds, and the land anywhere. We had a few take off and land in our RV community

The Fiesta is New Mexico's premier attraction and is well organized . No where else can you see so many balloons launch t one time ……. well worth the aggravation.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:05 AM   #53
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
How does one fill a water tank at the balloon fest in a Newmar with the 5 micron restrictive filter from a water truck? It seems like it would take longer than any truck would want to wait.

We have gone 5 days once before with one tank of water. Problem is the macerator toilets, even on little flush.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:16 AM   #54
Newmarian

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptw View Post
How does one fill a water tank at the balloon fest in a Newmar with the 5 micron restrictive filter from a water truck? It seems like it would take longer than any truck would want to wait.

We have gone 5 days once before with one tank of water. Problem is the macerator toilets, even on little flush.
1) Good conversation

2) Pull the filter out or swap it with a 10m for the fiesta. I change my filters monthly, they get disgusting fast, so maybe just time a change for the event?

3) It is what it is, I'm sure you're not the only one.

If you ever consider boondocking or have done it, per my reading as I have yet to do it outside of a rally, consider a few 5 gal jugs for fresh water. I got 3:

https://amzn.to/2tfJoJx

I'll be toting these (3) along in the back of the toad along with a 42 gal barker tank.

NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:32 AM   #55

We were lucky to get a reservation at the Balloon Fiesta Rally and just received a confirmation for Oct. 2-9 at Santa Fe Rv Park! Looking forward to it!
Dorishaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 03:01 PM   #56

Never been so lots of questions. If you camp in Sante Fe... the ride to ABQ are there any places to day park an RV or do most drive cars in? Sounds like a heavy traffic area during the festival.