Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2019, 07:10 PM   #1

2019 Coaches with Smart TV's ?

Does anyone know if the 2019 Newmar Dutch Star or New Aire have Sony Smart TV's installed? The reason I ask is that I trade stocks online and would like to use the TV as a monitor (along with laptop) for my trading platform. Hope to be ordering soon and this info would be very helpful. Thanks guys!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2019, 07:56 PM   #2

Our early 2019 NA came with 3 Sony TV'S that are 2017 low end models. The TV's worked only with 2.5 Ghz wifi, which is useless in a cakpground. The living room TV went out, and we replaced it with a 2018 top of the line Sony with the same screen size. Much better TV with 4K, apps, 5 Ghz wifi, etc. The new TV required customizing the bracket on the televator. Not a big deal. The new TV was $900 at Best Buy.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:07 PM   #3

I connect to the internet via the laptop and connect the display to the TV using an HDMI cable. Much more secure than a smart TV.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 08:22 PM   #4

Or cast your laptop to tv screen using Chromecast.
Mark71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 08:33 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
I have a 2007 Gulfstream DP and replaced all of the TVs with Samsung smart TVs. Wasn't hard to do at all and I had the old CRT TVs in it when we bought it used.
FormerMTman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 09:01 PM   #6

You don’t need a “Smart TV” to use as a monitor for your laptop.

There are 3 ways to send whatever is on your laptop to a TV. My preference is “Mirroring” to an AppleTV. A direct HDMI connection via cable will always be your most “headache-free”.

You also can connect using the GoogleCast which is prevalent in apps like YouTube. However, I do believe that this “Cast” function only exists on the “Smart TV”. For clarification, a Smart TV is one that contains its own OS, of sorts, and will have Apps and require an internet connection. It can run independently of other video sources.

Given the input I’ve heard, I’m not very optimistic that the Sony 4K monitors will be the “Smart TV” series. :-(
CaptainGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 10:25 PM   #7

2019 Coaches with Smart TV's ?

I have a late August built New Aire that has three Sony 4K smart TVs.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:51 AM   #8

Have a brand new DS with 4 Sony 4K smart TV's.
taratiffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:07 AM   #9

We only ever watch the televator and front cabin TV 's. Is there anything in the way they're all connected to prevent us from replacing those 2 Sony's with Samsung smart TV 's while leaving the bedroom and outside Sony's in place?

2018 DS 4018
Mark71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:18 AM   #10

With most "Smart TVs", they are running Android TV as the operating system (sometimes Tizen on Samsung. Sony uses Android TV). If so, then you can add a Chrome browser as an "App". Then, you can just use the browser to access your financial websites. It is helpful to find a USB or USB RF keyboard / mouse that is far easier to add URLs, passwords, etc to the browser window than using the handheld remote.

With regards to security, the TV (and all other Internet connected devices) should be connected to a firewall in the RV. This is typically at the Wifi Router. That firewall should be configured to allow your website traffic without allowing external forces to connect to your network. Most all financial websites use https certificates for encryption of data traffic. So, the SmartTV should be no less secure than your laptop.

You will certainly need a connection to the Internet to get live financial data updates. Cellular hotspot is the best where available, campground Wifi is spotty.

There is also nothing wrong with using Chromecast to cast the webpage from laptop to display on the TV.

And nothing wrong with connecting the TV as a monitor of the laptop, other than the inconvenience of the HDMI wire between the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark71 View Post
We only ever watch the televator and front cabin TV 's. Is there anything in the way they're all connected to prevent us from replacing those 2 Sony's with Samsung smart TV 's while leaving the bedroom and outside Sony's in place?

2018 DS 4018
Best is to see how the existing TVs are connected. I assume they are HDMI connected to a "matrix switch" somewhere in the RV. If so, then any HDMI TV should be able to directly replace the old TV (smart or dumb). The smartTV will then need either an ethernet (network cable) or a WiFi connection to the Internet for the Smarts to work. Hard cable ethernet is always better than Wifi, but can be very difficult to install if not already existing.

Then you need a good connection to the Internet. Many posts on that subject already.

The other potential constraint is control of the TV. I am assuming that the existing TV is controlled by a simple handheld remote control. If so, that model will work for the replacement TV as well. If you have a "universal" remote, then the remote would have to be programmed to control the new TV. If by chance there is an automation system in the RV, then the retrofit is more complicated and would need to know specifics.

But, very likely the new TV is plug and play.

But...if you are just trying to make the TV "smart"...you can just plug in a FireTV or Nvidia Shield or other Android TV box to make a dumb tv Smart. That would just install into an unused HDMI port on the dumb TV. You will still need Internet connectivity to the TV stick
Old 01-24-2019, 06:37 PM   #11
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
2019 VTDP, all tv’s are Sony 4K
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:24 PM   #12

All great suggestions guys. I thought I would need a Smart Tv for this but sounds like there are other work arounds. I understand the security issues also. Not real keen on Smart TV's for that reason. You gave me some great options. Thanks guys!
Old 01-28-2019, 12:37 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
2019 VTDP with all 4K smart Tv's.
Just watched Jack Ryan on Amazon prime last night. When I need to do something specific, like Zillow, I use the built in screen connection from my Windows PC to the TV directly over wireless. No need for Chrome cast or apple TV.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 10:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
With most "Smart TVs", they are running Android TV as the operating system (sometimes Tizen on Samsung. Sony uses Android TV). If so, then you can add a Chrome browser as an "App". Then, you can just use the browser to access your financial websites.

Have you really found THE official Chrome Browser for Android TV? I’ve looked several times and all I can find is a couple 3rd party unknowns.
CaptainGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote