Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2018, 06:06 PM   #393

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
Hey, I am ripping off ideas left and right, so feel free to take all ideas I am posting. That's the great thing about this forum.

As Ernie would say, it's just more money spent!
What kind of speeds have you seen with PepWave? Did you use the endoscope to fish your cables?
turbopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2018, 07:01 PM   #394

Quote:
Hey, I am ripping off ideas left and right, so feel free to take all ideas I am posting. That's the great thing about this forum.

As Ernie would say, it's just more money spent!
Well then get to some posting so I can spend some money!
Old 12-13-2018, 07:05 PM   #395

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbopilot View Post
What kind of speeds have you seen with PepWave? Did you use the endoscope to fish your cables?
I have not driven the coach out of the garage since doing the ceramic coating. I have several projects going at once, and dont have it road ready yet. So the testing is not ideal. I have seen lte-a occasionally, but very weak signal for the second band. I am getting speeds similar to my cell phone, as I would expect. 20-25mb down and 15 up.

Cell phone improves a lot outside of the garage, so hopefully soon I can pull it out and test.

The endoscope was the only way I could have done the wires. Thanks for the suggestion.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 07:08 PM   #396

Quote:

The endoscope was the only way I could have done the wires. Thanks for the suggestion.
Glad it worked. Where's the weather station?
Old 12-13-2018, 07:21 PM   #397

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Glad it worked. Where's the weather station?
This is where I am one upping you.

You will notice the blank spot, and all the measurement data. I am having a custom built doppler radar built to be installed along with a raisable wind generator that will power the coach while parked. If I plug in to the rv park power, I can sell them electricity and provide accurate weather forecasts.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:05 PM   #398

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In all seriousness, I am wanting a weather station, but havent spent much time looking for one yet.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:21 PM   #399

Quote:
In all seriousness, I am wanting a weather station, but havent spent much time looking for one yet.
I picked the Ambient because it is cheap and it works. Ties right into the PepLink giving you full weather in and out of the coach.

I thought it would get all beat up on the roof bus so far it is fine. For cold nights it is nice to see the coach temperatures in storage form home.
Old 12-14-2018, 09:00 AM   #400

Quote:
I picked the Ambient because it is cheap and it works. Ties right into the PepLink giving you full weather in and out of the coach.

I thought it would get all beat up on the roof bus so far it is fine. For cold nights it is nice to see the coach temperatures in storage form home.
I was curious on how a residential weather station hold up on the RV...turbopilot - no issues so far? Any installation thoughts on location and height? When you say "ties right in to PepLink"...do you mean it's a TCP (ethernet) connection? EDIT- ok, it's a Wifi device...interesting. Is the data in a disclosed API? Or are you just running their "app" on a laptop / phone that displays the data? I'll do some research.

There is also a Z-Wave weather station on the market now...can't remember the brand...manufactured in Europe...met the owner...can't remember their name...that was in the same low price point as the one you reference.

EDIT: found it. Forgot they gave me a whole bunch of devices to test so picked one up and it's...Qubino. https://z-wavealliance.org/qubino-la...-flush-dimmer/
Doesn't look like it would last on top of an RV though...mods required.

And, I assume wind direction and speed and rain are irrelevant data while moving. Would be curious to track vehicle angle and velocity and to negate that in the weather data to see if the weather data (wind speed and direction) is then accurate again...

[Mod Edit]
Old 12-14-2018, 10:09 AM   #401

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The pepwave GPS is on the network, and several of my devices are using it to update the location data, including my local PC browser. From there, I can run the Weather underground chrome app for realtime weather forecast. I haven't spent a lot of time looking at the sensors that I can use for weather, but as you may remember, I am working on the sensor for high heat detection. That is next on my list.

The largest obstacle so far is vmsPC. I have the raw data being reported now on a serial device, and I am working on a way to display this without the use of the vmsPC software. Have you already tackled this? The data is there, and it is just a very time consuming job of mapping the datapoints to controls for a display. I have yet to decide what the end application will be or look like...right now it is just a raw text dump of the variables as they update.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:54 AM   #402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
I was curious on how a residential weather station hold up on the RV...turbopilot - no issues so far? Any installation thoughts on location and height? When you say "ties right in to PepLink"...do you mean it's a TCP (ethernet) connection? EDIT- ok, it's a Wifi device...interesting. Is the data in a disclosed API? Or are you just running their "app" on a laptop / phone that displays the data? I'll do some research.
Yes and Yes.

Station has held up great. Rain sensor work fine. For some reason every time I am driving the wind indicates 60 mph or so out of the North.

Here is a link to live weather from my New Aire. It is currently sitting in a hangar at Thermal, CA. Not much weather in there.

https://dashboard.ambientweather.net...974dab6467c374
Old 12-14-2018, 02:35 PM   #403

I didn't say that! What I said was "It's ALWAYS more money spent"...
Ernie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 03:44 PM   #404

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie. View Post
I didn't say that! What I said was "It's ALWAYS more money spent"...
I knew it was something along those lines...Ha.

I have purchased so much from amazon in the past few weeks, I should be getting a fruit cake from Bezos.
Old 12-14-2018, 03:50 PM   #405

Quote:
I knew it was something along those lines...Ha.

I have purchased so much from amazon in the past few weeks, I should be getting a fruit cake from Bezos.

That’s great, made me laugh [emoji23]
Old 12-14-2018, 03:55 PM   #406

I think fedex, ups, and the postman have little lifelike figures of me and are jabbing them with pushpins...
Ernie. is offline   Reply With Quote