Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2019, 08:49 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
2019 DSDP Brake Controller Prewire Location

Happy Friday Eve:

Two PITA mods on the list this weekend under the coach. I've done them both on my 08 Camelot, so I know what I'm in for. Have the hot tub turned up for the after party and the wine is chilling :0)

1. Install coach side AFO for the toad brake. Thank you DS Don for the pre-work and great photos. The first cut is the hardest, right? Spartan had the right idea.
2. Install Source Engineering's temporary air bag inflation kit so I can raise the rear end and get the coach in the driveway.

Then...I have to install the the dash side of both systems. I want to take power and ground from the brake controller prewire for the Source kit and the blue wire from the controller for the brake activation confirmation light for the AFO.
Problem? I can't find the prewire in the front of the coach. I was told its to the left of the steering column, but I'm not seeing it yet. I removed the velcro cover on top of the dash and looked from the top and crawled under the dash and looked from the bottom. What am I missing?

Obviously, Freightliner chassis.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Cheers,
Mike
MikeyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2019, 07:27 AM   #2

All I can tell you is keep looking (from experience) I think someone at Newmar or Freightliner purposely hides that loom just to frustrate the future owner of the coach.

This much I can tell you for sure. When you find the loom it will be in the last place you looked. Why? Because once you find it why would you keep looking?
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 11:10 AM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I found mine to the left of the steering column from under the dash. The wires were taped together. They also had wire unions clamped on to protect the end of the wiring.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 03:55 PM   #4

2019 DSDP Brake Controller Prewire Location

Here’s where I found mine to the left side of the steering column pedal.
The leads are all identified.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1091.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	610.5 KB
ID:	236475Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1092.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	597.3 KB
ID:	236476
Old 03-01-2019, 06:00 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for the help guys. I'm sure its there, It just hasn't bit me yet.
I'll look harder tomorrow.
Mike
Old 03-02-2019, 05:27 AM   #6

Link to Freightliner Plug-and-Play Pigtail

"lass's" photos appear to show the chassis manufacturer has left a pigtail attached to the connector (at the far right). That's nice, because it gives you something to splice into (wire ends on the left) but still retains the "plug-and-play" wiring.

As an example, the OP is going to repurpose the brake controller wiring for air bag and toad brake notification purposes. This is easy to do using the wire ends of the pigtail. At some point in the future- say, if the OP wanted to install a trailer electric brake controller- he could unplug the pigtail, install a new pigtail wired to the brake controller and off he goes. In his case, he would have to share a power and ground with the Source Engineering kit.

That said, and for anyone coming upon this thread in the future, here is a link to a Freightliner pigtail sold on eBay. I have no idea whether or not it would work on the OP's 2019 coach. But, for many Freightliner coach owners, it may be just what they need to eliminate splicing into the factory-supplied brake controller wiring.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 07:07 AM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Mikey.....while you're down there looking.....I removed one screw from the "J port" connection bracket, rotated it clockwise 90 degrees and reinstalled the screw. This eliminated steeping on the port when trying to release the steering wheel. I have the Silverleaf plugged into mine and made for an issue when releasing the steering wheel tilt.
Old 03-02-2019, 09:26 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Don:
I kick that darn thing every time I move the steering wheel. Still getting used to the foot pedal to move the wheel. Great catch on moving the "J port". I'll do it today.
I still grab for the handle on the side of the column that I got so used to in my Camelot and Endeavor before that. I'm sure you had the same thing on your Dip.
Got the AFO installed without any trouble. I'll post photos on your thread later.
Didn't get the Source air lift kit installed. I didn't see the ride height valves and couldn't quite trace the air bag lines. It looks like the drive axle bags are joined with one air line, then there is a "T" that goes back to the tag axle. Didn't make sense to me, so no "cutty" the lines. Raining again today, so I'm moving inside.
Sanicon installed and working.
Today. Side radiator vent tube mod, emergency power window switch to the FRB, and I'm goona find that darn brake controller and hookup the indicator light for the AFO.
I'll post to the appropriate threads when I'm done.
Chipping away at it.
Have a great day.
Mike
Old 03-02-2019, 10:11 AM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
The one ride height valve that operates the rear axle and tag axle is located between the right rear dual and frame. Not very accessible. I bought the kit that came with the double valves, only to find there is only one on the rear, unlike the DIP which had two ride height valves on the rear and one up front. It took me awhile, walking the flow of air through my brain, before I realized what needed to be done. You have to get a line over to that ride height valve and then back again to Source's valve. If I recall, you need to pull the line off the ride height valve, attach it to the Source valve and run a line back from the Source valve to the ride height valve.
Old 03-02-2019, 10:33 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Ahhhh, I see Don. I was looking for two valves like we had on the Monacos.
I did see the one ride height valve on the frame.
Yes, take the line from the ride height valve to the bag and put the Source valve in between at ports 2 and 3. Then, you have to tap with a "T" into the other line that goes from the ride height valve to the air tank and insert into port 1. It looks like that line is 3/8", not 1/4" so I'll need to get a 3/8" to 1/4" "T".
Thanks for the info.
Mike
Old 03-02-2019, 11:46 AM   #11

It is the blue wire in the closest bundle if wires in this picture. Did the same thing on our DSDP. Three wires labeled Trailer brake controller. Get on you left side on the floor of coach facing forwards dash and look up to the left of steering column with a light and you should find it. The blue goes to the trailer hitch to the road so you can put a sensor light on your dash. Posted on this in 2018. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5017.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	318.7 KB
ID:	236571
Breezy2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 06:09 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Thank you Breezy:
I got distracted on another problem today, but will get back into it tomorrow.
You have to be a contortionist to get between the seat and the steering column and be able to look up. :0(
Thanks,
Mike
Old 03-03-2019, 01:43 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Found it. I was looking for stubbed wires, but it was butt ended to a connector plug as Mark noted. Bottom left of the steering column.
Thank you all for the suggestions and direction.
Mike
Old 03-17-2019, 06:07 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Finished the AFO toad brake activation light and the Source air bag lift today. Thanks to Mark for the link to the brake controller pigtail. Much cleaner than cutting into the existing wires. Everything is working well and I get 4 1/2" of lift out of the Source air bag lift. I can ditch the 2Xs in the gutter to get into the driveway now. I'm going to try to post the pictures of the pigtail and the Source switch (Red rocker to the left of the window switch) and the AFO indicator (Red light above the Aux outlet.) One day I'll figure out how to get these darn photos oriented correctly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Brake Controller Plug.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	569.0 KB
ID:	238444   Click image for larger version

Name:	Brake Light & Source Air Bag.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	442.8 KB
ID:	238446  

Tags