Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2018, 09:26 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
This is a FL thread, enough on SP.

Redbaron, you have me thinking on some warranty options. Why doesn't your signature show Freightliner Man?

P.S. If you are interested in extended warranty options go to http://myrvcoverage.com per FL's info they provided me.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2018, 11:00 AM   #16
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thank you Neal. I followed the link and put in a request for a quote.
Old 07-24-2018, 03:04 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
Redbaron, you have me thinking on some warranty options. Why doesn't your signature show Freightliner Man?
Well, the reality is I am almost neutral between the chassis brands. I find a lot of the drink the Koolaide line of thinking to be the most disturbing.

They are both great options. I chose freightliner because it was the best fit for me.

As far as the warranty, I think it's a great deal and I may get it in 18 months. Nice to have the option.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 04:27 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
Today I received my vin# from Newmar for my 2019 DSDP 4369 that is in production. I have been waiting to get this so that I could contact Freightliner and get a quote for the 5 year plan.

As we all know, Newmar has increased the price of the Spartan Chassis for 2019 to $3,500.00. This price increase seemed to be due in part to a new 5 year / 75,000 mile chassis warranty offered by Spartan.

I decided to find out what Freightliner is offering for their 5 year plan, so I called an received a quote:

Here are the Extended Coverage Options:
Extended Axles: 60 Months 100,000 Miles $150.00
Extended Axles: 84 Months 250,000 Miles $200.00
Extended Chassis: 60 Months 100,000 Miles $1,425.00
Extended Chassis: 60 Months 200,000 Miles $1,825.00
Towing & Roadside Assistance: 60 Months Unlimited Miles $925.00
Extended Cummins ISL17 60 Months 100,000 Miles Standard (No Charge)
Extended Allison Transmission: 60 Months 200,000 Miles Standard (No Charge)

Also, for the first 23 months of ownership, this price remains unchanged!

The 5 year is from the time it is originally sold, so it will be fixed at 5 years.

This is a great option to have 100% of the Freightliner chassis covered for 1/2 the price of the spartan upgrade, and is available on all Freightliner chassis.

And for those that want the Spartan, now you know that only 1/2 the upgrade fee is the Spartan up-charge, the remainder is the service/warranty.

When we bought our Entegra we liked the extra storage height it offered over the DS freightliner. I'm wondering the a DS with spartan also has extra height?
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 06:01 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy110 View Post
When we bought our Entegra we liked the extra storage height it offered over the DS freightliner. I'm wondering the a DS with spartan also has extra height?
It does not. The bays and all other dimensions are identical, with the exception of the rear service area on the Door Side.
Old 07-24-2018, 06:24 PM   #20
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
Well, the reality is I am almost neutral between the chassis brands. I find a lot of the drink the Koolaide line of thinking to be the most disturbing.

They are both great options. I chose freightliner because it was the best fit for me.

As far as the warranty, I think it's a great deal and I may get it in 18 months. Nice to have the option.
We have now owned both; FL on our former coach and Spartan on our new one. As has been said, "both are great options."

One thing to remember is that Newmar sets the specs on the chassis; FL and Spartan deliver what the customer asks for. And, as we have seen in the past couple of years, some of those specs have changed. In 2018, the Spartan had disc brakes all around, but Newmar has now spec'd its 2019 Spartan chassis to have drum brakes at the rear. Things like this are done to meet price points.

Apparently, a similar situation exists with the front shocks on the Spartan chassis. Again, this is likely a price-point decision. If there is blame to be assigned for a decision, it falls to the one who sets the specs. For the record, we have not seen the shock issue on our 4047. It may be that the shorter chassis is not affected like the longer 45' version.

For us, choosing the Spartan chassis for the new MADP 4047 was easy; it was the only available choice. The 4047 was not offered on the FL chassis.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 06:28 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I really don't think we need another FL vs. SP discussion, this thread is veering off for some reason and some tried to detract it early on.

As for the koolaide, Spartan should stop the dispenser as I believe the koolaide dispenser is doing more harm than good for the brand. If I was Spartan I would put a stop to it right away.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:19 PM   #22

Quote:
I really don't think we need another FL vs. SP discussion, this thread is veering off for some reason and some tried to detract it early on.
Ok, on the one hand you say this and then

Quote:
As for the koolaide, Spartan should stop the dispenser as I believe the koolaide dispenser is doing more harm than good for the brand. If I was Spartan I would put a stop to it right away.
Once again you insult Spartan owners. Once again a FL vs. Spartan thread got started by you taking shots at Spartan ("Spartan Upgrad") and then their owners.

Honestly, I think it's fine to be happy about the coaches we own (or in my case soon will) without the need to tear down other's choices or those that feel as good about their coach as you with your Ventana (not DS), 4037 (not 4369) or FL (not Spartan).

There's lots of koolaide being consumed, so rather than focusing on other's opinions being wrong, how about we all just bask in the glow of whatever koolaide buzz we are enjoying?

Sound like a plan?
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 09:23 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
By the way, putting the onus on Newmar is quite comical. Why doesn't FL have the noted issues if Newmar defined the spec? Why are so many Entegra owners experiencing the same dangerous issues? Entegra using the same spec? It's not Newmar's fault or problem. People are making assumptions to defend something or someone when in the end no one knows the facts.

Taking another sip

How about that warranty again?
Old 07-24-2018, 10:22 PM   #24

Quote:
How about that warranty again?
Mine? Five years, 75,000 I believe.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 01:26 PM   #25

Just as there is many difference between Newmar , Entegra and Tiffen, there are many difference between Spartan and FL. Newmar owners who say that that all coach chassis are the same are on aware of what is Newmar's motto which is " When you know the difference." Many engineers and long time Newmar owners choice Spartan because they know which is overall superior to the other. As a 21 year Newmar owner with 2 London Aire's and Essex all on Spartan that we have traveled over 260K miles.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 05:41 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom chelbana View Post
Just as there is many difference between Newmar , Entegra and Tiffen, there are many difference between Spartan and FL. Newmar owners who say that that all coach chassis are the same are on aware of what is Newmar's motto which is " When you know the difference." Many engineers and long time Newmar owners choice Spartan because they know which is overall superior to the other. As a 21 year Newmar owner with 2 London Aire's and Essex all on Spartan that we have traveled over 260K miles.
Tom, that's a strange explanation to say that newmar slogan actually means anything at all about the FL vs spartan.

I like to deal in facts. Give me a list of facts that prove that spartan is clearly better than freightliner.

I personally dont think that it possible, but rather it is an opinion of the owner. I have been very clear on my posts to only state a fact, and have made it a point to try to clear the aire on chassis choices for those that read statements of opinion and may misinterpret it to be fact.

There is no difference between the quality of spartan or freightliner.

There is no difference in service and support.

Both are great chassis.
Old 07-25-2018, 09:58 PM   #27

Honey, make the popcorn, they’re at it again.
Sorry to make light of the dialog, but hasn’t this been beaten to death enough? Feel like I’m in the movie Groundhog Day.

You want to compare? Bring in a Prevost or Newell with its unibody construction and Volvo power plant and then compare the Spartan and Freightliner, actual differences, actual facts.
Old 07-26-2018, 02:03 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winepress View Post
You want to compare? Bring in a Prevost or Newell with its unibody construction and Volvo power plant and then compare the Spartan and Freightliner, actual differences, actual facts.
Exactly!! And then take the Prevost, run it up on the curb on one side, and still be able to open any slide. Saw a display at the Tampa show with this...very impressive.

Tags
chassis, freightliner, warranty