RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2018, 07:23 PM   #1

2019 Dutchstar. I am having a hard time liking it.

First impression on the exterior. It was not an improvement..it has kind of weird round Led rear tailights.

Front cap was not impressive or an improvement either. I really wanted to like it.. it is really flat.. not up to standards as other front caps.. given what I have seen on the other brands...I still like my 2016 Dutchstar better, I still like the London Aire and Essex the best. And they did not put LED or HID headlights. And no Vorad style adaptive cruise control option? It is 2019 right?

I went inside and noticed they put piping on the seats again. I hope that works this time after seeing west issues in the past models..

The entry has a built in handle on the right side.. very plastic feeling.. the Dash i thought was going to be really nice with all the digital screens.. but truth be told it looks like nice screens in a cheap gas model dash.

I did like the front seats and built in seat belts.. I like the new recliners.

I am just mainly disappointed about the exterior not being a major improvement. I feel like they wanted to cheap it down to sell there higher end coaches..

I must say it was a tough choice wanting to upgrade above a Dutchstar before. But now I have to consider the heavy price tags of the "Luxury" ,Newmars .. to get what in my opinion had a nice exterior style and decent options.

I am hoping the RV industry really works on some new tech.. they all should have adaptive cruise and braking and stay in your lane assist...Dash cams and new LED headlights.

Oh and one more thing...why does the Dutchstar on the Spartan chassis not have rear disk brakes now? Seems like they cheaped out on one more thing?

Dont get me wrong I am a big newmar fan.. I would buy another...I cant be the only one not happy with 2019 changes.

Dunebuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2018, 08:38 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunebuddy View Post
First impression on the exterior. It was not an improvement..it has kind of weird round Led rear tailights.

Front cap was not impressive or an improvement either. I really wanted to like it.. it is really flat.. not up to standards as other front caps.. given what I have seen on the other brands...I still like my 2016 Dutchstar better, I still like the London Aire and Essex the best. And they did not put LED or HID headlights. And no Vorad style adaptive cruise control option? It is 2019 right?

I went inside and noticed they put piping on the seats again. I hope that works this time after seeing west issues in the past models..

The entry has a built in handle on the right side.. very plastic feeling.. the Dash i thought was going to be really nice with all the digital screens.. but truth be told it looks like nice screens in a cheap gas model dash.

I did like the front seats and built in seat belts.. I like the new recliners.

I am just mainly disappointed about the exterior not being a major improvement. I feel like they wanted to cheap it down to sell there higher end coaches..

I must say it was a tough choice wanting to upgrade above a Dutchstar before. But now I have to consider the heavy price tags of the "Luxury" ,Newmars .. to get what in my opinion had a nice exterior style and decent options.

I am hoping the RV industry really works on some new tech.. they all should have adaptive cruise and braking and stay in your lane assist...Dash cams and new LED headlights.

Oh and one more thing...why does the Dutchstar on the Spartan chassis not have rear disk brakes now? Seems like they cheaped out on one more thing?

Dont get me wrong I am a big newmar fan.. I would buy another...I cant be the only one not happy with 2019 changes.

I have to agree. My 3 year old Jeep has the features you mention, yet my 2018 DS does not and it was not even an option. As far as appearance goes, I am glad I ordered and purchased a 2018 model as the 2019's do not appear to me to be an improvement. I could probably live with the front redesign, but the rear appear to be a 10 year old design.

Ken C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 07:05 AM   #3

Everyone has their own opinion on the new styling of the DS front and rear. While in Gillette, I talked with quite a few people about their thoughts on the new design. Almost split even with likes vs dislikes. Personally, (again, MY opinion) I think the new front design makes it look more like a Ventana than a DS. The removal of the stainless trim and added squared angles just doesn't do it for me. I know in a couple years the new design will look the norm and ours will be "one of the older ones". Right or wrong, time marches on.

Prov. 3: 5-6
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 08:05 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club

Have to agree. I don't mind the back but the front is uninspired. It was time for a change, but the new look doesn't do it for me. Looks like a step backwards in my opinion.

Randy, Donald and Zoe (Rat Terrier)
2018 Newmar Dutch Star 4369 K2/2016 Jeep Cherokee High Country
Desertboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 08:26 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis

On the question of the rear disc brakes, Newmar sets the specs for the chassis manufacturer in regards to ALL the details including the brakes.

The spec for brakes on the DS has been front disc and rear drums for some time now.

That said, when Spartan was brought back as an option for the DS in 2017, they were not prepared to provide drum brakes for the rear axles since all their high-line chassis were 100% disc. So they went with disc on all three axles in 2017 and then put drums on just the tag in 2018. By the time they got to 2019, they are back in spec.

If you want all disc, buy a Mountain Aire. Or you can pay a ridiculously high price for my slightly used 2017 and Iíll buy the Mountain Aire.
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 08:48 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
I think we are seeing a transition from the traditional look that the more senior of us (how about that fancy footwork around "older?") have preferred to something a bit more "edgy." Times change...tastes change!

The bottom line will be whether Dutch Star sales increase, stay flat or decline. You can be sure that the number crunchers at Newmar are already looking at the impact of the design changes. It remains to be seen what impact potential purchasers have. If you don't like it, don't buy it. No clearer message can be sent.

One thing I have noticed is that color combinations and patterns have a big impact on exterior appearance; highlighting some things and moderating others. I'm not sure Newmar has found the right combination for its new design yet. The color schemes for most of the 2019s aren't what I think makes the coaches "pop," but what does an old dinosaur like me know? I'm just happy with my old 2018.

TJ
Old 10-25-2018, 10:44 AM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Obviously, I'm buying a 2019 and the front and rear cap never even crossed my mind as being ugly or all that much different. I see them as an update and more modern. I'm a minimalist when it comes to styling. I don't want to see a lot of chrome and gadgety looking stuff installed on the front and rear caps. As an example.....Entegra likes to put these huge front and rear plastic lenses on their coach, which look terrible to me. It took a lot for me to finally add the SS trim along the bottom edge of the coach, but did so for resale and bay door protection. I guess to each their own.

Now, lets look at it from another point of view. My 2014 had the stainless steel front insert in the center of the hood and down below, which looked nice, but was a pain to keep clean and streak free. The new front end will be easier to clean and polish. Now let's move to the rear. The first thing I see is the new engine doors, with the vent openings designed in a horizontal pattern, versus vertical. The vertical ones were a pain to clean and polish.

I wash and wax my coach a lot and making it easier to clean is a plus for me. I'm looking forward to the new to me sidewalls with the fascia, also being easier to clean and keep looking nice.

As stated, in a year or two, the 2019 styling will be the norm and no one will care. Do you really think that sales will fall off because they changed the caps? The 2019 models are already sold out so I guess the cap change didn't have an impact. You can only get one from a dealer that spec'd a few. When I bought my 2014, they changed to the new roof line in 2015. This time, I bought the update year and should look new for at least 4-5 years.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 12:21 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Don:

We're basically on the same page; I'm pretty much a minimalist too. That said, I don't agree that the fact that Newmar has sold its entire 2019 production run to dealers indicates the buyer sentiment on the new styling. What will do that is the size of the 2019 inventory remaining on dealers' lots when the 2020s make their appearance.

My guess is that the new styling will have little impact on sales. Just wanted to be clear that...IMHO...I don't think the true sales indicators will be available until at least next Spring.

TJ
Old 10-25-2018, 01:45 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Hi - The Dutch Star has an excellent reputation and I doubt that styling changes to the caps will have any real influence on sales. At least I hope folks are more sensible than that when they are making a near 1/2 million dollar decision.

More likely the cost of diesel and the state of the economy and the markets are a larger and more important factor in predicting sales numbers. The dealers think all is OK but we know from experience how that goes, just ask any out of business former dealer.

With the year pre-sold, it's not possible to guess what effect the yearly changes will have until the 2020's are out and the prior year's coaches have all found homes.

Tom
Ricci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 01:45 PM   #10

Not too taken with the new front cap either - although it's not an insult to the eyes. More like "meh". My guess is that paint cost less than chrome. One of the reasons I went ahead and got one of the last 2017's to come off the line instead of a 2018 was the fact I got disc's on all 3 axles. Also, and maybe even more important, I got true surround sound vs a weak sound bar.
Old 10-26-2018, 05:16 AM   #11

I agree with Don. We really like the looks of our 2019. We were all ready to pull the trigger on a 2018 but after seeing the list of changes coming for the 2019 we decided to wait and get a look at one. So glad we did. We think the whole exterior look is impressive and the new caps set the 2019 apart from the earlier year models. We when we pull into the campground and see our coach we say wow! that's a great looking rig! Inside the two tone dash with FTL digital gauges is really nice. As well as the wood valances around the windows. Together with the cobblestone interior scheme and Essex plank flooring the interior is equally impressive. As for brakes, disc or drum makes no difference to us, as it stops great when we need it to. Most important is that you really like the coach that you have. As you can tell we do.
David
2019 DSDP 4369
kdnash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 05:24 AM   #12

Quote:
. they all should have adaptive cruise and braking and stay in your lane assist...Dash cams and new LED headlights.
I am sorry you can no longer drive your RV, but I don't want all that junk on my RV. There is already too much unneeded stuff on them to fail.
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 01:14 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:

I still like the London Aire and Essex the best. And they did not put LED or HID headlights. And no Vorad style adaptive cruise control option? It is 2019 right?

I went inside and noticed they put piping on the seats again. I hope that works
I would like to add that Newmar does like to differentiate their models as well as maintain price points for their line of coaches. You keep adding goodies and the price points soon disappears.