RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2019, 10:39 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
2019 Kib tank sensors...not so great

When doing my CPU I filed a complaint about the lack of accuracy with KIB, as many have done. What I noticed is that when comparing gallons being put into each tank vs the meter, it was off drastically.

Fresh tank read full 38 gallons too soon.
Grey tank read full 10 gallons too soon.
Black tank read full 8 flushes before red light came on

Newmar did a recalibration and was able to get the tank to show 95% until the red light came on and then it went to 100 on the gray. Never could fix the fresh tank.

Tonight I removed the peg board and installed Seelevel strips. I then compared the tank readings. When the kib fresh tank says full, KIB is showing 75%. I then manually filled until kib showed 100%, which I have set 1 inch below the top of the tank. I also adjusted the 0% to be right at the point where the pump starts grabbing air, or equal to the height of the inlet.

When using autofill, once the inside reads 95%, I can add 35 more gallons before reaching the 100% on the seelevel.

I have a factory appointment in September to get the v2 of the KIB installed.

NHSO (Newmar Hoot, Sevierville Original), Kindness Matters
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2019, 10:51 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
They are terrible, have it on my 2011 and has never been right. Don't understand why Newmar still uses them or hasn't had this issue corrected .

Old 07-22-2019, 12:11 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Can the KIB v2 be installed without having to make a dealer or factory visit?

Randy, Donald and Zoe (Rat Terrier)
2018 Newmar Dutch Star 4369 K2/2016 Jeep Cherokee High Country
Desertboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 01:40 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
When doing my CPU I filed a complaint about the lack of accuracy with KIB, as many have done. What I noticed is that when comparing gallons being put into each tank vs the meter, it was off drastically.

Fresh tank read full 38 gallons too soon.
Grey tank read full 10 gallons too soon.
Black tank read full 8 flushes before red light came on

Newmar did a recalibration and was able to get the tank to show 95% until the red light came on and then it went to 100 on the gray. Never could fix the fresh tank.

Tonight I removed the peg board and installed Seelevel strips. I then compared the tank readings. When the kib fresh tank says full, KIB is showing 75%. I then manually filled until kib showed 100%, which I have set 1 inch below the top of the tank. I also adjusted the 0% to be right at the point where the pump starts grabbing air, or equal to the height of the inlet.

When using autofill, once the inside reads 95%, I can add 35 more gallons before reaching the 100% on the seelevel.

I have a factory appointment in September to get the v2 of the KIB installed.
What is KIB v2?

How do you recalibrate?
Old 07-22-2019, 03:39 AM   #5
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The tank level that matters the most for accuracy to me is the fresh water tank. I like to get it completely full if we are dry camping and 1/3 for traveling. I view the level by looking at the tank in the water bay. I put marks on the side of the tank with a sharpie for the level when the gauges change and use that as guide for filling.
Old 07-22-2019, 04:30 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Newmar reprogramed (software change) mine and it is working better now. The screen looks different but basically the same stuff in a different place.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:48 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I doubt it. It is all new hardware and kib programming. The programming part is where a visit is required, since KIB will not share the how to with the general public.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertboyz View Post
Can the KIB v2 be installed without having to make a dealer or factory visit?

Old 07-22-2019, 07:50 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Redesigned softeare and tank sensor strips to fix the inaccuracy their old system had.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck53 View Post
What is KIB v2?

How do you recalibrate?

Old 07-22-2019, 09:14 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
...Tonight I removed the peg board and installed Seelevel strips....
Many including I installed SeeLevel on the pegboard side. This is NOT, say again NOT an accurate location due to the design of the tanks. The tanks rise up to narrow wall on the pegboard side. There is only ONE location to mount sensors and that's where Newmar has theirs. This past winter I installed new SeeLevel sensors next to Newmar's and after such a long struggle I now have accurate readings. It is worth the time, effort, and learning to remove your wet bay panel and mount the sensor strips in this location and you will be happy. Garnet via RVUpgradeStore.com is selling the bluetooth SeeLevel system again which is great. Very pleased with it.

I hope everyone understands why the pegboard side is NOT a good place for tank sensors per attached.

Edit: I can't find the bluetooth seelevel system on the RVUpgradeStore site, it was there a few weeks ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tank-annotated.png
Views:	13
Size:	177.3 KB
ID:	254201  
Old 07-22-2019, 09:52 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
Many including I installed SeeLevel on the pegboard side. This is NOT, say again NOT an accurate location due to the design of the tanks. The tanks rise up to narrow wall on the pegboard side. There is only ONE location to mount sensors and that's where Newmar has theirs. This past winter I installed new SeeLevel sensors next to Newmar's and after such a long struggle I now have accurate readings. It is worth the time, effort, and learning to remove your wet bay panel and mount the sensor strips in this location and you will be happy. Garnet via RVUpgradeStore.com is selling the bluetooth SeeLevel system again which is great. Very pleased with it.

I hope everyone understands why the pegboard side is NOT a good place for tank sensors per attached.

Edit: I can't find the bluetooth seelevel system on the RVUpgradeStore site, it was there a few weeks ago.

It is an accurate gauge as it relates to "full", but as NealC said, it is NOT accurate as to total volume.

Because of this, I have elected to only secure with tape, as I may decide to relocate it to the much more difficult to reach area of the wetbay.

Old 07-22-2019, 10:13 AM   #11

Neal you have done a great job of getting consistent accurate readings.

Iím all for accuracy. What is important for black and grey is the high limit. I do not care of how accurate the bottom is.

The fresh is to be accurate at the top to not overflow. I want to make sure I do not run out so having a good low would be nice.

I like the fact that there are 2 independent readings that I can check the readings.

Hope everyoneís readings keep working.....
Old 07-22-2019, 10:27 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:

I’m all for accuracy. What is important for black and grey is the high limit. I do not care of how accurate the bottom is.

The fresh is to be accurate at the top to not overflow. I want to make sure I do not run out so having a good low would be nice.

I like the fact that there are 2 independent readings that I can check the readings.

Hope everyone’s readings keep working.....
The fresh tank is 100% accurate for high and low on the peg board side. You will find that you cannot drain 100% of the fresh water when you are level and using the pump. You have to use the low point drain in order to completely drain the tank.

For me, it is important to have an accurate 0% and accurate 100% on the fresh, and accurate 100% on grey/black. This has been accomplished on the peg board side.

After I visit with Newmar and see how the new KIB system works, I will make the decision as to rework the autofill electronics to be based off the see level reading vs the KIB. It is not acceptable to have nearly 40 gallons unused capacity after an autofill.

I know that when driving, some will slosh out. That is fine, since it will never siphon out with the way the tanks are designed on the 2019. It will be interesting to start with a 100% reading according to the seelevel and see what it is like after driving. If it returns to the 75% reading where Newmar has set the "full mark", then I will have to acknowledge they did think this one thru.

Old 07-22-2019, 10:29 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:

Iím all for accuracy. What is important for black and grey is the high limit. I do not care of how accurate the bottom is.

Hope everyoneís readings keep working.....
Well, let's see how you feel when you see around 30% tank full and 0% SeeLevel I'm OCD and this drives me crazy. Now with proper seelevel gauge location I see the percentage start right away.

Even with the Newmar gauges on my coach (1/3rd, 2/3rd variant) there is still 10% of the tank unusable. Probably how they want it, they'd rather the black stop early than late. We all want 100% space available because the tanks are small, never large enough, but realize that's not going to happen. So expect up front approx 10% unusable from the Newmar gauge setup.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:57 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not all coaches have the same style tanks. The 2019 4369 Dutchstar is a flat top / flat bottom with built in slop internally. It is not as drastic as the one NealC posted, but the point he made is accurate. After I get a 0% reading while draining the tanks, I still have about 5 gallons left to come out. Part of this is due to the rounded edges of the tank, not allowing me to place the tank sensor at the very bottom, and part is due to the internal slope.

Tags
tank