Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2019, 01:14 PM   #1

Spartan Chassis
2019 Lincoln Nautilus Hookup Procedure

Just purchased and waiting for my Nautilus.

Looking for anyone already towing this car to ask a few questions regarding what procedure you use to neutralize transmission. Owners manual was a procedure having you sitting in the car, foot on brake, and reaching totally under the dash to pull a tether. You would need arms 4' long to accomplish this. Their procedure almost makes it 2 person job.

My dealer wrote Lincoln but reply has a little CYA in it.

If you are towing a Nautilus would really like to get a chance to talk.

Thanks in advance,
lagawne is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2019, 01:18 PM   #2

You might try asking Remco if they make a switch for it.
Old 06-06-2019, 01:28 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
If it's a tether....how about adding a length of short cable to an area where you can reach and secure it.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 04:06 PM   #4

Doubt if anyone is towing one yet as BlueOx have not released a baseplate yet. But it is coming soon.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 06:40 PM   #5

Spartan Chassis
Blue Ox Release the tow kit about 2 weeks ago. On their wedsite.
Old 07-21-2019, 10:25 AM   #6

Anyone have the new Nautilus and towing it? Understand how to put in Neutral and adding a charge line from coach. I read that just to put a wiring kit in when you use it that it will shift out of neutral into park. That's Bad. it looks like the fix is put in a switch to kill power to tail/brake lights then furnish power through the switch. Link to Roadmaster wiring for

https://www.roadmasterinc.com/pdf/85-6041.pdf

Thanks, J Guess
iguess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 11:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by iguess View Post
Anyone have the new Nautilus and towing it? Understand how to put in Neutral and adding a charge line from coach. I read that just to put a wiring kit in when you use it that it will shift out of neutral into park. That's Bad. it looks like the fix is put in a switch to kill power to tail/brake lights then furnish power through the switch. Link to Roadmaster wiring for

https://www.roadmasterinc.com/pdf/85-6041.pdf

Thanks, J Guess
I just read the Nautilus manual and you do not put the car in neutral to tow. You go through a procedure called "manual park release" (page 192). At the end of this you disconnect the battery cable which I assume is what that Roadmaster switch is for.
Being that complicated I may stick with my SRX.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
I just read the Nautilus manual and you do not put the car in neutral to tow. You go through a procedure called "manual park release" (page 192). At the end of this you disconnect the battery cable which I assume is what that Roadmaster switch is for.
Being that complicated I may stick with my SRX.
On my Nautilus manual page 192 is how to rock out of snow and mud? On page 188 it tells how to take out of park. Start engine put in Neutral (push button) info center reads to stay in Neutral push Neutral again then press OK. Have done that and it works. Having it all hooked up Aug 2nd and will post success or not. WE have had the SRX and didn't like all of the road noise the Nautilus is so quiet. We have our fingers crossed and thanks for your input.
J Guess
iguess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 07:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by iguess View Post
On my Nautilus manual page 192 is how to rock out of snow and mud? On page 188 it tells how to take out of park. Start engine put in Neutral (push button) info center reads to stay in Neutral push Neutral again then press OK. Have done that and it works. Having it all hooked up Aug 2nd and will post success or not. WE have had the SRX and didn't like all of the road noise the Nautilus is so quiet. We have our fingers crossed and thanks for your input.
J Guess
I am looking at the latest manual on the Lincoln website. The "stay in neutral" is on page 188 with a clear warning "Do not tow your vehicle in this mode."
Look again at the "manual park release", whatever page that is on in your manual.
Old 07-25-2019, 06:20 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Well I just picked a Nautilus up today and couldn’t be any happier. Then again it’s only day one... lol Now to order a baseplate for it and figure out how to go Through the sequences and figure out how to tow it four down... Has anyone had any luck with theres yet?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E4B242A1-1A7A-4A23-B4A4-BED0F8365AFB.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	488.8 KB
ID:	254661   Click image for larger version

Name:	1C14A9DB-1022-4326-B51A-39B40EE4FF63.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	231.4 KB
ID:	254662  

Name:	E2AF9789-E3B9-4763-AC0C-25A8C1F04708.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	304.0 KB
ID:	254663   Click image for larger version

Name:	EFC50C1B-EC26-4143-80AA-D3830996F509.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	232.3 KB
ID:	254664  

Sicduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 06:27 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
You have to disengage the Electric Parking Brake which looks on paper like a cumbersome procedure.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 06:41 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
You have to disengage the Electric Parking Brake which looks on paper like a cumbersome procedure.
I think it looks pretty straight forward once the covers off. I'm sure after a couple of times it will become second nature and I would just leave the cover off so I don't have to deal with it.
Sicduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 09:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicduc View Post
Well I just picked a Nautilus up today and couldn’t be any happier. Then again it’s only day one... lol Now to order a baseplate for it and figure out how to go Through the sequences and figure out how to tow it four down... Has anyone had any luck with theres yet?

I just had mine new Nautilus set up for towing using Roadmaster gear. I posted the following info on a different thread - don't know how to create a link, so I copied and pasted it here. The manual that came with the car has the wrong towing instructions as noted in a post on this thread. It was replaced by the online version. The pages are off a couple, but I confirmed with Lincoln that the December 2018 version on line has the correct procedure.

2019 Lincoln Nautilus toad....

I recently purchased a 2019 Lincoln Nautilus and had it set up for towing. Todd's Auto and RV in Portland, OR exclusively sets up vehicles to be towed using Roadmaster parts. Towing procedures are totally different than its predecessor, the MKX. Probably due to the new 8 speed transmission.

The Nautilus has a manual park release cable under the dash. You pull the cable out towards the driver's seat and hook it into a slot in the lower right portion of the box it comes through. A message is displayed on the dash indicating that the car is not in park. Also the light on the P (transmission button) goes out. Then you release the automatic (electric) parking brake, verify the dash brake light indicator goes off, and then disconnect the battery.

Special wiring has to be done be done to make the lights work in the rear, since the Nautilus LED lights will only work if powered. Since the battery is disconnected, there is no power. So a toggle switch is installed which allows a wire directly from the battery to power the lights The switch has a tow position and a drive position. They installed a battery cut off switch next to the toggle switch, so disconnecting the battery is easy. As a side note, when I called Blue Ox and asked about their tow system and wiring for the Nautilus, she told me that they haven't figured out how to do the wiring yet.

Rather than cut into any of the Nautilus systems for braking, I chose the Brakemaster auxiliary braking system. I can hook it up in about 30 seconds. I know it would be easy to skip this, but it is so simple to do that I don't think I would skip it.

It was very difficult getting information from Lincoln. Actually I got inaccurate and conflicting info depending on when I called and which "tech" I talked to. However, based on the latest documentation that I found on line, and the fact that Roadmaster just recently set one up to tow and had good documentation - and were available for consults, I think it was done correctly. I did tow the car back to the RV barn and all was well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5831.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	313.4 KB
ID:	254689  
RUFINIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 04:43 PM   #14

Spartan Chassis
I have just picked up my Nautilus and will have tow plates installed next week (Blue Ox) My dealer was great about the towing issue and together we wrote a email to the technical team they use to get answers.

The one question they would not give an absolute answer on was the issue of needing to be in the driver seat to hold brake and pull tether. We asked if this was a safety issue so car would not roll or if there was an electrical signal that was required. It seems almost impossible to pull tether while sitting in the seat.

My question is How are you doing this ? My thought is to do this while outside the car.

I am avoiding the special wiring required to run the light and simply going with a light bar and wireless transmitter. They are $500 about what labor for wiring would cost and no risk of cutting wiring. I will be using Air Force 1 for braking and Roadmaters battery disconnect.

Would like to know how you are physically pulling tether and holding brake etc.

Thanks