RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2018, 12:54 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
2019 Mountain Aire Shower

Has anyone taken delivery of a new Mountain Aire? Weíre at the factory going over our order with Michelle (who is great by the way), and we looked at the new shower head. It consists of two articulating arms that should allow you to adjust the height and distance from the wall. However, in all the units we saw, the top ďknuckle ď was tucked tight between the wall and the ceiling and could not be moved. I canít help but believe that this is going to be a major source of complaints. It also seemed to affect the London Aire as well. At the end of the day, we agreed to ask them to remove the articulating arms and if that is denied, to use the Ventana shower unit instead.

mbrooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2018, 05:55 AM   #2
GKU

We have a MA 4551 going to manufacturing Oct 16. We will be there to watch...I hope. I guess we missed the shower head potential problem. We should take delivery mid September, I will check it out then.

GKU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 04:12 PM   #3

I'm somewhat tall. 6ft. 2in. the 2018 MADP shower head was not tall enough for me. The 2019 shower head is much better and is tall enough for me. It is more similar to the adjustable DSDP shower fixtures.
Old 07-26-2018, 08:02 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
So Dizzee, your arms on the shower head actually move? The ones that we saw were stuck in the small gap between the shower wall and the ceiling. We actually took the factory tour this morning and saw how the shower head gets installed with the joint folded up above the shower wall before the roof goes on. Once the roof is put on the arm for the shower head is trapped and cannot be rotated out.
Old 07-29-2018, 08:32 AM   #5

Sorry for the delayed response. We've been travelling the past 2 days.

The DSDP are is very adjustable and works well with the thumbscrew against the back wall of the shower. I've been trying that one out as we're in the DSDP ordering process.

I got in both 2018 and 2019 MADP showers at Steinbring Motorcoach last week. Here's the 2018 shower head wand that fits a halo holder at the end of the nipple and is not adjustable...it hits me in the face.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180727_090104[1].jpg
Views:	104
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	212911

The 2019 appears to have 2 thumbscrews, if you will. One near the back shower wall and one nearer the head I able to adjust the head above my head for comfort. The head was lower when I first got in the shower but I adjusted it up to test if I could fit. I just don't remember which thumbscrew I used to do this...I'm thinking it was the one closest to the shower head but I cannot be sure of that. The photo was taken after I adjusted the shower head and is from the 2019 MADP 4579 Newmar Dealer Show coach.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180727_090213[1].jpg
Views:	115
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	212912

I do see what you're saying about being able to rotate out by studying the photo. If the ceiling was not against the arm joint, it could be possible to move the shower head arm further out toward the middle of the shower (and maybe it does). I hope you find someone with a 2019 MADP to confirm the operation of the shower head arm.
Old 07-29-2018, 09:12 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
That last photo is the problem shower in the 2019 Mountain Aire. We went on the factory tour and when the shower is installed the adjustment knuckle is set above the wall. Then the roof is installed, trapping the adjustment screw. Iím hoping that the knuckle can be disassembled to release the shower head in a usable position.
Old 07-29-2018, 09:18 AM   #7
GKU

We are going to the factory in 2 weeks to see our MA being built, hopefully I will be able to see this before I take delivery.
Old 07-29-2018, 08:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrooking View Post
That last photo is the problem shower in the 2019 Mountain Aire. We went on the factory tour and when the shower is installed the adjustment knuckle is set above the wall. Then the roof is installed, trapping the adjustment screw. Iím hoping that the knuckle can be disassembled to release the shower head in a usable position.
So you're thinking the shower head is too high? I'm thinking Newmar installed the fixture this way to maximize the shower head height. Please let me know your specific concern so that I may more accurately reflect my experience being in the 2019 shower. My concern has always been that the shower heads are too low, thus my comments. If your concern is using the shower head while sitting on the teak seat, then that concern might be mitigated by the 2019 fixture also having a hand wand in addition to the adjustable shower head.
Old 07-29-2018, 08:22 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
No. My concern is that the adjustment knuckles they provided will not move because they cannot clear the ceiling. We looked at one while we were at the factory finalizing our order form and specials and realized the adjustment arms could not be used. The provided head would be functional it the arms could really be moved.
Old 07-29-2018, 09:34 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I see your point, the arms fold in 2 places in order to tuck away. In order to unfold, the ceiling is in the way, thus keeping this amazing acutating arm locked in a single position.

Can it be removed from the wall, unfolded, and put back on?

NHSO (Newmar Hoot, Sevierville Original), Kindness Matters
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 04:17 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
That is my hope. I didnít want to go and start taking apart the showers that we were looking at when at the factory. I asked to talk to someone in engineering, but was told that wasnít possible. Now Iím hoping to find one at our dealer and see if that will be the fix. We requested that NEWMAR remove the arms as a special, but that was denied. The only other fix that was proposed was to pay to downgrade to the Ventana shower assembly.
Old 07-31-2018, 05:15 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrooking View Post
We requested that NEWMAR remove the arms as a special, but that was denied. The only other fix that was proposed was to pay to downgrade to the Ventana shower assembly.
I was told by a dealer that sometimes Newmar gets caught up on the specific semantics of a special request rather than the general intent and ,therefore, deny the special request. In other words the special needs to be worded properly even though they may understand what you're trying to accomplish with the request. Specific build instructions yield specific build results and they won't try to interpret what you mean.

I can understand why Newmar would deny a request that would make a coach incomplete ("remove the arms"). You may try to special the request when you submit an order through your dealer (along with other specials) worded something like "install shower arm fully extended" or something like that if that's the result that you are after.
Old 07-31-2018, 05:32 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
OK, have to ask the obvious. Why would Newmar (or any manufacturer) install a shower head that is obviously intended to be extendable in such a way as to prevent it from being extended? It just seems to defy common sense.

Can a customer not speak directly to someone at Newmar that could make sure the thing is installed already extended?
Old 07-31-2018, 05:41 AM   #14
GKU

We will be at the factory in 2 weeks to see our MA going down the line, I hope to be able to see the arm in the build process and talk to someone if it doesn't make sense!!

Tags
air, shower