Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2018, 09:00 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
2019 Newmar Factory Delivery - What to Expect

I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread that was dedicated to the factory delivery, and specifically what it is like now.

I have done factory delivery twice. Once in 2013, and again this past week in 2019. A lot has changed, and all of it is much much better.

I selected the factory delivery option on my original sales order. I had a few specials requested, as well as a custom paint scheme.

The first communication from newmar was the customer service confirming that they where aware that I was doing a factory delivery, and letting me know that once production dates where scheduled I would get another communication.

A few weeks later, Newmar customer service emailed me on behalf of Phil Stiley, providing me with my Coach serial number, Chassis vin #, Chassis prep date, building 7 production dates, and final service delivery estimated date. The service delivery is the equivalent of transport ship date to a dealer if the coach is not having Factory Customer Pickup. This was approx 4 weeks before the chassis production started, and I was allowed to make a few changes to the order, which was additional cable runs.

The day the coach entered into chassis production, Phil Stilley called me to discuss the CPU (Nwmar term for what we call factory delivery or FPU on this board). He told me the coach was running a few days early, and we could schedule a pickup the 2nd week of September. I let him know that we had a European trip planned, so I could not arrive before October 1st. He was happy to delay the delivery (almost seemed relieved) and said that would give them plenty of time to address any areas of concerns.

I spoke with Phil about the roof drains, Sanicon, and a few other items. He was not aware of the roof drain issue, but said he would pass the information onto my team lead.

He was aware of the Sanicon issue, and told me that there is not an official fix, but he was ordering some of the newer brackets that were being tested.

Phil also provided me with the details of how the delivery would work, where to go, and who my team lead assigned was. He then followed up with an email with all of the information, including my lead's email address.

...continued on next post
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2018, 09:31 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Once I had confirmed service had my coach, I sent a few special requests to my lead, which was a summary of what Phil and I had discussed. I also requested some pictures of the coach. I received a reply the next day. Very good communication!

October 1st was the beginning of our delivery. We where told to go to building 42, which is the new service center. We arrived at 8:30am and announced ourselves in the lobby. We were met by our tech, who took us into the service bays where our coach was waiting for us.

The service bays are wide enough to walk around with all slides out, but not wide enough for the girard awnings, due to the catwalk going around the entire coach.

Our tech asked us how we wanted to proceed, offering to spend the next few hours going thru each item one at a time, following the "script". I let him know that I was an RV nerd, and wanted to get in and look around, and then ask specific questions. He was more than happy to allow this methodology, but showed me a form that would need to be signed by me at the end of the day, stating that I was shown each of the many items that are on the script.

I had him show me the KIB system, Auto Fill, and heated floors. We then moved onto the new control cabinet, and the many satellite and awning changes.

While I was doing this, my family was looking for issues and testing things.

What we found worked well was to get a list, and then give it to the tech in "batches". When an issue is reported, the tech adds the issue to the workorder. Each item mentioned will be a line on the work order. Each item will have a resolution associated with it that you will have visibility to, and will sign off on.

We found 95% of all reported issues on Monday, but only 1/2 of them were found during the service time. The rest where found during the afternoon.

Since the campground is currently across town, work ends on the coach at 1:30p and the coach is driven by your tech team to the campsite assigned to you. On Monday, we concluded the shop time at 1:00, and did the test drive for about 45 minutes before ending back at the campground.

I was given the option of a start time anytime after 6:00am, but work would end at 1:30pm regardless of start time. I elected to begin at 6:00am, to maximize the service time.

Each day the tech team would arrive at the campground, and take the coach to the service center. I would meet with my tech first thing each morning to discuss work that had been completed, any issues I had found since we last talked, and to get a general idea of what was being worked on.

Around 1:00 each day I met again with the tech and received an update on the days work.

There was several occasions that items that had been worked on where not satisfactory, or had issues. That was fully disclosed to me, as well as the planned resolution.

I did have several service items I wanted done, but I was clear that those would be a lessor priority to the warranty work and normal delivery items.

Any service item you have done as a special is a chargeable event. The time is billed hourly, and not based on a book or fixed rate sheet, which I think is fair.

Some of the nice touches that Newmar did was to include the 3 axle weights, along with the correct tire chart, and indication of what the tires should be set to.

Also included was the Magnum inverter settings that where programmed, and reasoning for it. That was nice to see that the tech actually understood the battery system, and why the values where there.

Another sheet was included that had every electronic and appliance manufacturer , part number, and serial number.
Old 10-08-2018, 06:03 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread that was dedicated to the factory delivery, and specifically what it is like now.

I have done factory delivery twice. Once in 2013, and again this past week in 2019. A lot has changed, and all of it is much much better.

I selected the factory delivery option on my original sales order. I had a few specials requested, as well as a custom paint scheme.

The first communication from newmar was the customer service confirming that they where aware that I was doing a factory delivery, and letting me know that once production dates where scheduled I would get another communication.

A few weeks later, Newmar customer service emailed me on behalf of Phil Stiley, providing me with my Coach serial number, Chassis vin #, Chassis prep date, building 7 production dates, and final service delivery estimated date. The service delivery is the equivalent of transport ship date to a dealer if the coach is not having Factory Customer Pickup. This was approx 4 weeks before the chassis production started, and I was allowed to make a few changes to the order, which was additional cable runs.

The day the coach entered into chassis production, Phil Stilley called me to discuss the CPU (Nwmar term for what we call factory delivery or FPU on this board). He told me the coach was running a few days early, and we could schedule a pickup the 2nd week of September. I let him know that we had a European trip planned, so I could not arrive before October 1st. He was happy to delay the delivery (almost seemed relieved) and said that would give them plenty of time to address any areas of concerns.

I spoke with Phil about the roof drains, Sanicon, and a few other items. He was not aware of the roof drain issue, but said he would pass the information onto my team lead.

He was aware of the Sanicon issue, and told me that there is not an official fix, but he was ordering some of the newer brackets that were being tested.

Phil also provided me with the details of how the delivery would work, where to go, and who my team lead assigned was. He then followed up with an email with all of the information, including my lead's email address.

...continued on next post
This is totally different than what I got from Newmar. I revived one call about when production would be completed and when we could schedule the factory delivery. I got one more call about jacket sizes.

I was told I would receive pictures along the way by my dealer via Newmar . I inquired about the pictures and they said production was complete. It was early. They Forgot about the pictures. I then then got a couple after it was painted.
Factory delivery is November 5th. I have not heard anything from Newmar like you have.
toneil7163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 06:07 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would send an email to Phil Stilley and ask for your team leader. You will get their phone number and email. The team leader makes all the difference.
Old 10-08-2018, 06:12 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The welcome kit they include with FPU is also a new thing since my last time.

We recieved 2 very nice jackets with Dutch Star logo on the front, and Newmar on the back.

In addition, we received a very nice sewer hose kit, a welcome mat, 2 folding camp chairs and 2 blankets. All items are newmar logo, and available in the store.

Another surprise, was a full tank of fuel and a full DEF tank. In 2013 it was only 50% filled.
Old 10-08-2018, 06:14 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
Another surprise, was a full tank of fuel and a full DEF tank. In 2013 it was only 50% filled.

WOW ... glad they finally stepped up their game on this one! I never understood the 1/2 tank deal.

FLSteve
FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 06:34 AM   #7

Nice write up Ron. This answered many of my questions. Forty nine days to go for us. I had been eyeing the blankets and chairs while I was there watching ours being built, I'm glad I decided to wait. I am building parts order now. You saved me money for a change...
Ernie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:28 AM   #8
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
We FPU on 5 November. Phil emailed us on 18 August with the FPU date. We elected to go watch our coach build starting 20 September. Really worth it to see her getting built. Touched base with our team lead (Jonas) whom we had as lead last FPU. I suspect we will be getting a call from him in a few days that they have the coach in service. I am curious on what improvements they make to FPU.
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 11:09 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMH View Post
We FPU on 5 November. Phil emailed us on 18 August with the FPU date. We elected to go watch our coach build starting 20 September. Really worth it to see her getting built. Touched base with our team lead (Jonas) whom we had as lead last FPU. I suspect we will be getting a call from him in a few days that they have the coach in service. I am curious on what improvements they make to FPU.
Jonas was my team lead. I really enjoyed the experience, and felt that Jonas went above and beyond as did my tech, Doug. I was able to get some of the details of things they found during the FPU, and it is very obvious that items mentioned here are being added to the list.

Did they miss some items, yes. A few where big. But when you step back and realize just how complicated this entire coach is and how many systems there are, it is amazing how few issues I found.

From the very first day of FPU, I could tell that the workers are proud of their work quality, and take it serious when an error is found.
Old 10-09-2018, 05:49 PM   #10

I am considering a factory pickup rather than a dealer pickup (Midway RV) in December. I anticipate snow. Any thoughts on how the weather could change the week long introduction with a technician? Is the whole thing done indoors? Assume the campsite will be closed?
Jeff Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 06:43 PM   #11
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
Campground is open year round. You may get snow, so you can test your coach in the cold. The work on your coach is done inside in a really nice facility.
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 07:05 PM   #12

Jonas is scheduled to be our team lead.
Ernie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 12:04 PM   #13

Update: I've decided to go ahead with the Midway RV delivery (last week NOV/first week DEC). Turns out Newmar's earliest FPU appointment availability is JAN 7th (that's a 4-5 week delay).
Current cost is: $4,595 (that’s straight cost pass through from Newmar).
Jeff Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 12:11 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The 4-5 week delay is actually taking into account the actual PDI. My coach records show that they had it in bldg 42 within 2 days of being released.

From there it made a trip to paint, and spent 8 days in paint, and then back to bldg 42. More parts where ordered, and it was moved to the holding lot, and then back to bldg 42. This happened 3 more times during the time period.

After all of that, I found a lot of issues, mainly due to how picky and experienced I am, and the wonderful information on this board as to what to look for.

The service department is run by true professionals. I understand the cost is high, but the time savings is worth it to me, as I have avoided multiple returns to a dealership for the items found so far.

Tags
newmar