Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2019, 03:43 PM   #1
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
2019 Refrigerator Water Filter

When our new coach arrived, I installed the water filter that came with the refer. The thru door water flow was terrible. Since it was a new filter, from the manufacturer, I just figured I was stuck with poor flow.

During our walk thru at Tom Lindstroms, I was told the filters were very expensive. I searched the internet and found some at a decent price, I ordered a couple and stored them away. Two days ago, the change water filter light came on. I replaced the filter and was pleasantly surprised. The flow was almost double that of the OEM filter. I didn't look at the microns of the OEM filter and my guess is the new one isn't as dense, but it's a trade off I'm willing to make.

Soooooo…...if you think your flow is slow (water filter that is) try changing filters.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2019, 03:46 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Do you remember the source of the filters, great info
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 05:34 PM   #3
Dom

The change filter light is only there as a reminder to check filter. It does not indicate that the filter is plugged or getting plugged. Rule of thumb is if its slow change the filter.
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 06:26 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Don - Thank You!

I had ordered several of these (https://amzn.to/2GCWozf) and had them in the coach. Just this weekend my family was complaining about the fridge being so very slow. It never even crossed my mind to swap out that filter.

I just went out and swapped - and the pressure is amazing!

BTW - the fridge works without a filter installed as well. I compared the pressure without the filter vs with a fresh installed, and there is very little to no difference. That is what I would expect from a good filter.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 07:08 PM   #5

We have had our 2016 Dutch Star since last August. We immediately noticed a plastic taste in the water dispensed thru the fridge. We changed the filter and have run several gallons of water thru the water dispenser in the door but still have the plastic/ chemical taste. The taste is so unpleasant that we don’t drink the water. No other faucets have this problem. Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this?

2016 DSDP 4369, Freightliner Chassis, AF One brake system, 2016 Chevy Equinox
Tigerfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 07:26 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Here is the brand of filter I bought, their pricing can be all over the place. Amazon has them, 3 for $45.00. I'm not fussy about filters, but these are suppose to be pretty good. I'm just ecstatic that the darn water comes out like my refer at home.

Whirlpool Refrigerator Water Filter 1 EDR1RXD1
Old 04-26-2019, 07:42 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"redbarron73"......Your info verifies that the OEM filter was the issue, since we both installed different brand replacements and the pressure improved.
Old 04-27-2019, 04:42 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
When our new coach arrived, I installed the water filter that came with the refer. The thru door water flow was terrible. Since it was a new filter, from the manufacturer, I just figured I was stuck with poor flow.

During our walk thru at Tom Lindstroms, I was told the filters were very expensive. I searched the internet and found some at a decent price, I ordered a couple and stored them away. Two days ago, the change water filter light came on. I replaced the filter and was pleasantly surprised. The flow was almost double that of the OEM filter. I didn't look at the microns of the OEM filter and my guess is the new one isn't as dense, but it's a trade off I'm willing to make.

Soooooo…...if you think your flow is slow (water filter that is) try changing filters.
Good point Don. And, always first thing, change the filter when you buy a coach, new or used. Some people forget to take out the water filter when they winterize and end up with pink ice cubes the next season. I guess the pretty cubes make an interesting cocktail but I'm not a fan of the pink stuff in my water system.
R D. Vanderslice
2018 New Aire 3341
rdvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 05:19 AM   #9
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerfan1 View Post
We have had our 2016 Dutch Star since last August. We immediately noticed a plastic taste in the water dispensed thru the fridge. We changed the filter and have run several gallons of water thru the water dispenser in the door but still have the plastic/ chemical taste. The taste is so unpleasant that we don’t drink the water. No other faucets have this problem. Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this?
Have you tried sanitizing your water system? We put bleach in the water system at least once a year. I always let the refrigerator water run for a while once the bleach is in the tank hoping some will get past the filter, then let it sit for a while. After that run the water to get all the bleach out and change the filter.

We had a drinking fountain at work that they replaced with a new one. The new fountain always tasted like plastic so I stopped using it.

If you are using a carbon filter it should take the plastic taste out of the water before the filter, then there are the plastic lines after the filter.
Old 04-27-2019, 11:44 AM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
What's sad about the OEM filter....it came in a bag and had to be installed before use, so I knew it was brand new. It just didn't flow well.
Old 04-27-2019, 11:48 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I was curious about that. Mine was already installed, but I did a FPU, so they had done a lot of stuff for me that normally wouldn't have been done.

I laughed when I noticed the TP hanging on the holder in both bathrooms. I asked my tech if he took a test on each toilet...he didn't get the joke
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 12:04 PM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Yes....I installed it during my walk through.
Old 04-29-2019, 06:53 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptw View Post
Have you tried sanitizing your water system? We put bleach in the water system at least once a year. I always let the refrigerator water run for a while once the bleach is in the tank hoping some will get past the filter, then let it sit for a while. After that run the water to get all the bleach out and change the filter.

We had a drinking fountain at work that they replaced with a new one. The new fountain always tasted like plastic so I stopped using it.

If you are using a carbon filter it should take the plastic taste out of the water before the filter, then there are the plastic lines after the filter.

Thanks for the suggestions ptw. I did sanitize the tank but I didn’t run sanitized water through the water dispenser as I did with all the other faucets now that I think about it. I will give that a try. I do have a carbon filter.

2016 DSDP 4369, Freightliner Chassis, AF One brake system, 2016 Chevy Equinox
Tigerfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 12:58 PM   #14

Send a message via Yahoo to Bill98116
I ordered a new RV with a residential fridge. It has an ice maker and water in the door. I'm concerned about the water quality. We have always used bottled water for drinking before. Is the water safe to drink? The unit has a whole coach filter on it plus the fridge has a filter. Still, I wonder about the quality of drinking water. Am I just being paranoid?
Bill

Tags
refrigerator, water