RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2019, 10:23 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann n Gene View Post
Spartan has also had a shock problem on the front that causes this issue.
the shock problem does not cause this....

this is an issue unrelated to that problem....

willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2019, 10:42 PM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by willipaul View Post
the shock problem does not cause this....

this is an issue unrelated to that problem....
Correct!

TJ

Old 01-09-2019, 09:44 AM   #31

If both Spartan and Newmar do alignments, then perhaps they need a class on how to do it right.

Either Newmar is not really doing it or they are doing it wrong.
AzGoldDigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:06 AM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzGoldDigger View Post
If both Spartan and Newmar do alignments, then perhaps they need a class on how to do it right.

Either Newmar is not really doing it or they are doing it wrong.
The problem with factory alignments is that they are done on an unloaded chassis. There's no way to simulate how the owner will load...or, in some cases, overload...the chassis. So, an alignment done on an unloaded chassis may be fine in many cases, but not so good in other situations.

TJ
Old 01-09-2019, 01:16 PM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't know how many here are motorhome mechanics, I'm not, but there sure is a lot of emphasis on alignment. To me, an alignment is a constant pull in one direction. The OP could have air bags out of tolerance, for my coach you have to be within 1000lb between left/right (corner weights). Would that cause wonder or just like alignment, a pull? What if something is critically wrong with the chassis? What if an air bag has a leak? Imagine the effects of an air bag cycling between dumped and aired up?

The short answer to this long winded thread is TAKE IT IN and get it serviced NOW. If it's not safe to drive don't drive it!

This is like that "winter" ops thread of recent where I think people will keep replying until the end of summer on what to do in the winter. This forum if it ever could get modernized as it's stuck in mid 90's forum'ware, newer forum products have thread prefixes so the user could change it to ANSWERED and we all know to move on.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:53 PM   #34

One of the things that I most enjoy about this forum is that it is welcoming to any question asked, no matter how many times it is asked. No matter how “newbie-esque”, mundane, or non technical it may seem. I’ve certainly asked a lot of newbie questions.

I too struggle at times with the search function, but I just chalk that up to being most if not all an operator error issue.

I think that collectively, we’ve provided the OP with enough info in order to make an Informed decision. If not, he or she (or anyone for that matter) hopefully feels free to ask more questions.

It is Infrequent that I log into this forum with a question. However, I always learn at least one new thing every time I read threads while on this site.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 03:13 PM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by HavingABlast View Post
One of the things that I most enjoy about this forum is that it is welcoming to any question asked, no matter how many times it is asked. No matter how “newbie-esque”, mundane, or non technical it may seem. I’ve certainly asked a lot of newbie questions.

I too struggle at times with the search function, but I just chalk that up to being most if not all an operator error issue.

I think that collectively, we’ve provided the OP with enough info in order to make an Informed decision. If not, he or she (or anyone for that matter) hopefully feels free to ask more questions.

It is Infrequent that I log into this forum with a question. However, I always learn at least one new thing every time I read threads while on this site.
Nicely said.

TJ
Old 01-10-2019, 11:28 PM   #36
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I've been having a similar issue. The first drive, the coach was wandering constantly. Since I owned the same coach with the same chassis previously, I knew how it should handle. My 2014 was rough riding up front, but tracked like a laser going down the road.

The only difference with the new coach are bigger tires, 315's versus 305's. I checked the alignment and the toe in toe out was accurate. I started playing with the tire pressure, which started at about 115. I eventually took it down to 105, which is still 5 psi over what my weight calls for. I've pretty much eliminated the wander at 105 psi.

I installed Centramatics the first week and got my Koni's yesterday for the front end. I know shocks don't have a huge influence on wandering, but I find the new coach is not as stable, side to side leaning when driving as my previous coach, once I installed new shocks all the way around.

I know some may think I'm crazy for changing out those items, but.....there are some here changing out electronics that cost more than my shock and Centramatics. In the next few months, I'm going to add Koni's and Centramatics to the rear.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 05:04 AM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post

I know some may think I'm crazy for changing out those items, but.....there are some here changing out electronics that cost more than my shock and Centramatics. In the next few months, I'm going to add Koni's and Centramatics to the rear.
I had the factory install my centramatics before I left. They also did the 6 weigh and reset tire according to chart + 5psi. The coach felt very stable with no wander.

The front shocks need to be replaced, as I got used to the Koni. Once I am done replacing all my electronics and wiring, I'll get on to the crazy upgrade of the Koni

NHSO (Newmar Hoot, Sevierville Original), Kindness Matters
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 05:25 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
I had the factory install my centramatics before I left. They also did the 6 weigh and reset tire according to chart + 5psi. The coach felt very stable with no wander.

The front shocks need to be replaced, as I got used to the Koni. Once I am done replacing all my electronics and wiring, I'll get on to the crazy upgrade of the Koni
Let us know the Koni you put on and the results. Thanks
Canuck53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 04:41 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post

I installed Centramatics the first week and got my Koni's yesterday for the front end. I know shocks don't have a huge influence on wandering, but I find the new coach is not as stable, side to side leaning when driving as my previous coach, once I installed new shocks all the way around.
what is the difference with the KONI shocks ? are they stiffer ?

i put KONI FSD's in the front, on my gasser, replacing the stock bilsteins, and noticed a big difference...they softened the ride....with my SP chassis, the stock bilsteins were way too soft, with the alternate bilsteins being much stiffer and better...

i am guessing that is the difference with the KONI's ? they are stiffer ?
willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 05:25 PM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
On my 2013, the Koni removed the harsh bottoming out I would get on my country back roads.

On IH-10 from New Orleans to Florida, Koni made the drive a lot smoother. That is some bad road surface, and a good way to test your suspension.

NHSO (Newmar Hoot, Sevierville Original), Kindness Matters
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 05:38 PM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
Yes.....what pressures are you running? I have a 44 foot running 110 front and 85 in all back. As said you should have, air, align and balance checked. Although balance would usually have shaking.
My 2018 does not due what your describing. Please don’t take offense to this question......what RV did you have prior to this one? If you have experience driving a Class A then disregard the following. Are you setting your eye site of the road far enough in advance of your path? At first new to Class A RV drivers tend to look just past the front of the RV, this causes over correction.
Good luck and keep us posted. Stuart

2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan!
2017 Jeep Wrangler Smoky Mountain
2016 Canyon Star 3710 SOLD
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:02 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
Yes.....what pressures are you running? I have a 44 foot running 110 front and 85 in all back. As said you should have, air, align and balance checked. Although balance would usually have shaking.
My 2018 does not due what your describing. Please don’t take offense to this question......what RV did you have prior to this one? If you have experience driving a Class A then disregard the following. Are you setting your eye site of the road far enough in advance of your path? At first new to Class A RV drivers tend to look just past the front of the RV, this causes over correction.
Good luck and keep us posted. Stuart
3rd class a diesel but first Spartan 44ft tires 115 front 365 22.5 R70 back 315s running 85. I thought it could be the Harley on the lift in back but on the last two tag coaches I did not have a problem.

judgebobk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
spartan, steering