Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2019, 03:58 PM   #57

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
I had similar problem, got it "aligned" to no avail... The called Sparton and they asked if I had the REAR axle aligned - the first "recommended" shop did not. Went to Henderson's (not in your area) and they aligned both the front and REAR - steered like a whole different rig and became a relaxed pleasure to drive! Later I switched to the Koni shocks and they made a difference that you could feel (not in side to side wander) but in ride comfort
Bob and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2019, 04:30 PM   #58
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calequine View Post
Had same problem. When big rigs passed on left, would throw me partly onto shoulder. Don’t get me started on wind. Went to Henderson’s in Grants Pass, OREGON. Installed sway bars. Problem solved. Check them out online.
The Ford chassis under the Fleetwood Flair your profile shows you have is a completely different animal from a Spartan DP chassis. And, resolving handling issues is also quite different between the two.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 06:12 PM   #59

Check tire pressure. Probably not as critical on a DP but on a gas rig with workhorse chassis it is really important to have all tires inflated up to the upper end of the pressure range. Otherwise it is nearly impossible to drive the coach safely or even comfortably.
JimPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 06:28 PM   #60

I put new tires on and had them align front axles and both back axles with each other. Steers with 2 fingers now.
Anbocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 06:36 PM   #61

Koni FSD shocks have variable speed compression dampening. When you hit a big bump or hole regular shocks compresses quickly and can bottom out with a harsh jolt. With compression FSD shock valving increases hydraulic resistance as shock piston speed increases thus slowing suspension travel without the harsh bottoming. The improved wheel control with improved FSD compression and rebound dampening eliminates porposing.
Overinflated tires are unstable , making the coach feel squirrely when encountering road imperfections.

My coach albeit a gasser drives quite well after my chassis modifications. Currently doing my research for my next coach and the Dutch Star 4018 just may be choice # 1.

Good luck to the OP.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:05 PM   #62

Did wheel aligment for years

Mine was all over too

Added some positive caster from 1.5 original to 4 degrees , en of it now goes so good
Old 01-17-2019, 09:10 PM   #63

Monaco Owners Club
Spartan chassis

All of this is too common. That’s why I stayed away from that chassis. My Roadmaster drives so nice, I never need a break, except to pee.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:28 PM   #64

Steering

I HAD a Dutchstar and the 1st trip was 1k miles over 2 days. I thought I was going to die after 2 days because my shoulders hurt so bad. Problem corrected by 1) Spartan recall, 2) alignment, and 3) sway bar for rear axle. 18 months and 70k miles, I sold it!
augerdogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:53 PM   #65

Newmar Owners Club
Stewart W, thanks for the info. I'm a newbie to motorhomes of any kind, and I have been struggling with wandering (particularly to the right, but I do that in a car, too). How far in advance do I look? I have to concentrate to keep the rig in the appropriate place in the lane. All tips welcome!

Cindy
2000 Newmar DSDP 35ft, Cummins ISC 330 HP, Spartan Mountain Master, Allison, no tow at this time. Yippee!
mnmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:56 PM   #66
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
Weighing in on shocks. For Ventana’s that have solid front ends (not IS) I have found the tuned shocks sold by precision engineering in Oregon reduce sway and ride smoother. Because they reduce sway the coach seems to track better.
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 11:11 PM   #67
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
Sorry for inaccurate info in last post. The company I was referring to about shocks is source engineering in Eugene Oregon. Here is their web site:

http://sourcerv.com
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 11:18 PM   #68

My DP wandered and was really bad when a big truck passed me. I had the front end alignment checked and was told it was correct. BUT>>>I had 1/8 of an inch of toe IN added to the front tires, and it was unbeleivable how it drives now. One handed and no worry when a truck passes. I LOVE IT. MOMCAT
momcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 06:17 AM   #69

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
The Ford chassis under the Fleetwood Flair your profile shows you have is a completely different animal from a Spartan DP chassis. And, resolving handling issues is also quite different between the two.

TJ

Thank you Jim [emoji4]
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 06:53 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by judgebobk View Post
2019 DSDP first trip and I have to steer constantly due to road wander. I have the comfort drive up full and no wind but it takes constant steering input to keep in the lane.
This is my third coach and first Spartan but I've never before had to concentrate so intensely on keeping in the lane.
Any thoughts? I've scheduled a front end alignment.
My 14 was bad from the day off the lot, had 7 alignments, 1/2 of my 35000 miles have been going to both factories. Spartan finally determined it to be a faulty p/s pump after checking everything over and over for 1 &1/2 weeks, better now but still not like my last Freightliner chassis. With all that I love my coach.
raceday is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
spartan, steering