RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2019, 07:49 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
2019 Ventana Air Dump - Auto level

2019 Ventana 4369
Previously our rig would dump most of the air when the Equalizer Auto Level system was activated. It would leave the front end low, but could easily adjust it to level.

Left Gaffney Freightliner the other day after they discovered a loose connection which was causing our unit to drop when stopped for a couple of hours. Does not drop now!

Currently the rig does not dump a significant amount of air to lower it when the auto level is engaged, and sits level but too high.

I would like to have it dump the air to lower it when the auto level is engaged.

Suggestions?

Field Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2019, 08:41 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I haven't been able to try it yet but read somewhere to start the autolevel, then stop it before the jacks go far. It will let the air out. Then retract all and start the autolevel again.

tlkhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 10:37 PM   #3

That is how we normally do ours. It was leveling about 3 inches too high. Someone on this forum posted the procedure and since we began doing that we level a lot lower.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 09:59 PM   #4
mre

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlkhorses View Post
I haven't been able to try it yet but read somewhere to start the autolevel, then stop it before the jacks go far. It will let the air out. Then retract all and start the autolevel again.
I use this technique and it solved 99 percent of my leveling issues. When we first got our coach, we went on an 11 week trip and I must have used leveling boards 40 percent of the time. It was a real pain. Since then, we have been out six months and counting. We have only needed them twice.
Old 07-23-2019, 01:43 AM   #5

Certainly sounds like Freightliner screwed up your dump valves in the course of repairing the leak. I’d expect them to repair it.
Old 07-23-2019, 08:15 AM   #6

When you push the auto button, the suspension should dump air for 30 seconds before the jacks start to descend. If they start before the 30 seconds is up there is something wrong with the control box. Have you tried the manual dump button? How long does it take to dump the air using that? Personally I have never had an issue, although the front does dump much quicker than the rear. Sometimes I can hear the rear still dumping after the 30 seconds is up.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 04:07 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Have left Freightliner - Gaffney for Boston / Maine / Canada / Nappanee. Will have Newmar look at it once there.
This system has no dump valve on the control board.
Field Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 01:11 PM   #8
mre

We were recently camping with a group anf one couple has a 2018 Ventana tag axle. The have a one button operation system like ours. The coach air bags deflated quickly and from the sounds of it, fully purged before the jack's extended.

Our Ventana's jacks extend when the air bags deflate and the jack's touch the ground before the bags fully deflate.
Old 07-26-2019, 01:52 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mre View Post
Our Ventana's jacks extend when the air bags deflate and the jack's touch the ground before the bags fully deflate.
Our 2017 VTLE 3412 does the same thing when we use autolevel with the engine still running. We have changed our procedure in two ways: I now level with the engine off and the key in the accessory position - if the engine is still running the air pressure is competing with trying to dump. Second, we have started to do as recommended and hit the "autolevel" button first, then immediately hit "retract all." The airbags will continue to deflate and we get much lower than we used to.

In addition, I level manually more often and rely on a bubble level app on my phone. Doing these two things, our front step is no longer way up in the air and all the tires are on the ground. Makes a big difference!
Old 07-26-2019, 02:54 PM   #10
mre

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucemcdou View Post
Our 2017 VTLE 3412 does the same thing when we use autolevel with the engine still running. We have changed our procedure in two ways: I now level with the engine off and the key in the accessory position - if the engine is still running the air pressure is competing with trying to dump. Second, we have started to do as recommended and hit the "autolevel" button first, then immediately hit "retract all." The airbags will continue to deflate and we get much lower than we used to.

In addition, I level manually more often and rely on a bubble level app on my phone. Doing these two things, our front step is no longer way up in the air and all the tires are on the ground. Makes a big difference!
x2. We do the exact same thing.
Old 07-26-2019, 03:14 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
While pressing "Retract All" may cause the system to stop, when we had our 2014 Ventana LE, the procedure was to press "Auto Level" and when we heard air starting to dump, press "Auto Level" again to stop the jack extension. Air would continue to dump until the system was purged. Then, press "All Retract" to return the jacks to the starting position. Finally, re-initiate the leveling procedure by pressing "Auto Level." Since the air has already been purged from the system, the jacks will deploy.

TJ
Old 07-27-2019, 09:15 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
When you push the auto button, the suspension should dump air for 30 seconds before the jacks start to descend. If they start before the 30 seconds is up there is something wrong with the control box. Have you tried the manual dump button? How long does it take to dump the air using that? Personally I have never had an issue, although the front does dump much quicker than the rear. Sometimes I can hear the rear still dumping after the 30 seconds is up.
Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but starting in 2016 or 2017 the Ventana models do not have a manual dump switch. I know mine doesn't have one.

Jim's method of purging all the air out when leveling is the only way I have found to get it done and have the coach as low as possible.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 09:38 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLJOE View Post
Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but starting in 2016 or 2017 the Ventana models do not have a manual dump switch. I know mine doesn't have one.

Jim's method of purging all the air out when leveling is the only way I have found to get it done and have the coach as low as possible.
+1. Certainly our 2017 VTLE does not have a manual dump, so we use the press twice method and it works much better.
Old 07-27-2019, 11:19 AM   #14

The Newmar parts catalog shows the control with manual dump on the 2016 Ventana but the catalog does not show a control unit for later models.

Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, vent, ventana