Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2019, 05:01 PM   #1

2020 Dutch Star Digital Dash Owners

so, i am fairly certain i a selling off my current coach, and moving to a 2020 DS 4020. i really don't like the idea of going to the digital dash for either chassis, but if i do what i am thinking of doing, it will happen....

for those of you with digital dashes, for both chassis options, what do you like ? dislike ? any problems ? any feedback would be appreciated....

at this point, i am undecided on which chassis i will pick....i have an open mind in looking at the positives and negatives of both....
willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2019, 09:18 PM   #2

I have a Freightliner under my New Aire and I love the Mercedes dash that they put in and really do not find anything I do not like about it. I especially like the integrated TPMS. I also love the shift lever with integrated engine brake on the steering column. All JMHO
Old 10-16-2019, 10:11 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I have a digital dash in a 2019 DS Freightliner. I know they added some stuff in 2020 that makes it a little different, but I like my digital dash. It has some nice features that previous Freightliner dashes didn't have or have the ability to display constantly, like what gear you're in, DEF in percentages, and a few other items.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 04:38 AM   #4

X2 what Don said. Lots of info at a glance. I have mine set to show trans temp, engine temp and DEF level, current gear, odometer, etc. You can toggle quickly to diagnostics to review any CEL that may occur, etc.
No issues whatsoever. We really like it. Ours is on a FL chassis.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by willipaul View Post
so, i am fairly certain i a selling off my current coach, and moving to a 2020 DS 4020. i really don't like the idea of going to the digital dash for either chassis, but if i do what i am thinking of doing, it will happen....

for those of you with digital dashes, for both chassis options, what do you like ? dislike ? any problems ? any feedback would be appreciated....

at this point, i am undecided on which chassis i will pick....i have an open mind in looking at the positives and negatives of both....
Don't forget to create a build thread!!!
kpecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 08:07 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi - We have a 2020 DS on Spartan. The digital dash is an improvement over the older dash. My only issue is that the indicator for gear selection is a bit small given how important it is. Please don't flame but the arrangement on the FL with the gear selector on a stalk is not something I'd ever want.

Tom
Old 10-21-2019, 02:02 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Spartan Chassis
Quote:

I have a question to your about why you would move from a 2018 to a 2020. I ask because I am looking at the 2019s and don't see much difference except price point between 19-20. What are the pros for going from 18 to 20?

Thanks!
Old 10-21-2019, 02:45 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:

Why are you getting rid of your 2018 so soon? Floor plan? Problems? ???
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 02:56 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi - Can't speak for Willipaul but we trade every two or three years. Not a comment on the coach (we got another 4369), just a choice. The differences were enough to warrant the update and it doesn't cost that much more to trade more frequently if you shop right. It used to be that out of warranty parts and service were not that bad but those days are gone. It also hurts less to write a smaller check than a big one at the end of 6 years. ;>)

Tom
Old 10-21-2019, 03:59 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis

We have similar approach to coach ownership. We have been RVing since 2012. We just ordered our 4th DP. If we are still going strong in 2023, we will likely be ordering our 5th. We don’t get a fancier rig, this new one will also be a DSDP.

The size of the check to upgrade is relatively low. The new factory warranty is nice, and we appreciate the variety of improvements that accrue over three years.

There’s a tale that circulates a lot in RV circles that the typical RV owner gets a new rig like every 4.4 years or some such. I once had a close friend take issue with that until I pointed out that, in his case, it was more like every 3.5 years.
2017 Dutch Star 4018 - Sold - Towing Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 04:11 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I’ve heard the 4.x time frame too. I understand this for those that leave their coaches as stock. I spent a full two years on mods, some major such as solar and active air and of course shake down and warranty. I’m just now settled in to “my coach” as I’ve really made this mine over time and love it. I can’t imagine doing this again so soon.

I’ve derailed the topic so hope all can get back to the OP’s question.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 04:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfg9585 View Post
I have a question to your about why you would move from a 2018 to a 2020. I ask because I am looking at the 2019s and don't see much difference except price point between 19-20. What are the pros for going from 18 to 20?

Thanks!
i have a 4326 now....that's a bunk model if you don't know....i don't really need the bunks anymore...my kids are now both in high school....i thought they would still be using the bunks, i thought i would get more time out of it, but now, more often than not, they are on the fold out couches, or even in a tent outside at some places.....with friends...it's hilarious.....back to the future, when we all first started this 16 yrs ago....i just shake my head sometimes.....anyways, they are tall kids (6' son and 5'10" daughter) and they are not loving the bunks....this is my 3rd bunk model coach....went from a gasser, to a smaller diesel, and to this, over 8 yrs.......wish i bought this coach 8 years ago, but the floorpan didn't exist, so it was not possible.....bunk options in diesels back then were thin, and i don't think a tag model existed....

my wife and i will be in a 40 footer when they are not camping with us often or at all, so we can get into more places (she loves state parks), and we want to stay in national parks....so, while this coach still has a high residual value, as has been stated by Ricci, now could be a good time to move to the 40 footer....the 35' new aire is intriguing, but it isn't big enough (we take two golden retrievers with us, and we want a bath and a half, plus lots of other reasons)....i have a private party that wants the coach, and we have an agreed upon price....so the move won't be too much of a hit.....i could keep it for 3-4 more years, and then trade it....i have an extended warranty for 3 more years and about 35K more miles....but if i can get into a 2020 at the right price, i'll do it now....there is much that i like about the DS 4020 configured with two couches up front...would also move from the booth dinette to the desk and computer workstation / buffet, as i can travel for work......having two full depth HWH flush floor slides up front is great...really widens it out up there.....but you do lose space down below....from 2018 to 2020, some changes include soft close drawers and doors, digital dash, air force one air standard on the spartan (not a big deal for me, i use roadmaster invisbrake systems now on my two toads), new ceiling design, integrated seat belts in the seats up front, new screen door setup, change in front and rear cap design (which has grown on me), new design for window treatments inside, splendide washer and dryer, bigger and better shower design in the rear bath (that's a big improvement over what i have, and the old 4002, IMHO), much better sanicon setup than what i have in the wet bay, and a few other things...so there is alot you get, IMHO, in a 2020 over a 2018....if i was not changing floorplans, it wouldn't be enough, most likely, but changing floorplans is also a big part of it....we are changing floorplans in 4 yrs regardless, so why wait, if the money is right.....plus IF (a big IF) there are any negative effects from the WGO buyout, in build / component quality, i wouldn't feel them....

i am also looking at the allegro bus 40IP....that floorpan has much to offer for us, and my phaeton 40QKH was really good to me....a 40' tag axle coach gives up alot of outside storage, and the smaller newmar cabinets give up more storage inside...the 40' allegro bus has almost as much outside storage as i have now, inside storage is more than the DS 4020, plus i keep the bigger fuel tank, it has what i consider to be better electronics, air leveling is standard, i keep the 10K genset, the master bath is fantastic...no step up (i'm only 50, but hey, it never is too soon to plan ahead, right ? ) and several other small points go to the bus...the new bus can have the full girard package, and i really like the linen cabinet option with the spruce plank tile flooring (very similar to the KA floors i have in my DS now)....but do i want to give up the ride and handling of the tag, comfort drive, custom paint (i have that in my DS now), other custom specials, and the insulation on the newmar, which i feel is superior to the tiffin (mainly for sound, the thermal performance in my phaeton was fine, but i do think it was a little louder, certainly in the rain)......decisions, decisions.....

the 40' bus and the 40' DS, optioned well, are fairly close in price....no matter what i buy, if i buy again, it will be another ordered coach....i special ordered this one (after meeting with michelle howard in nappanee), and i won't buy off the lot, as there is nothing close to what we want in stock anywhere....i am headed down to north trail in a week to see and drive both, as they are both on the lot down there, and i have haggled good pricing on either coach, from them, and other dealers....

so we will see....there is always a chance i do nothing, but it is less than 50% that's for sure...it's great to be dealing from a position of strength, too....it's not like i am in a piece of junk right now....the coach has been great, after some initial problems were taken care of at the factory.....so if they want me to buy, i need to be moved to do so.....

long post, but you asked, as did others, and i didn't want to half a$$ my answer....
willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 04:26 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis

To willipaul on the Chassis issue.

I don’t want to start a new chassis thread, but my 2020 DS will be on a Spartan. I don’t have any experience with FL, but I did spend a lot of time studying the FL DriveTech system on a show coach at the recent AIM rally. I might consider it next time, but it’s just too new for me to embrace it this time around.

In my case, the argument about service locations is not a factor as I have never had a problem finding a qualified shop when I need one.

The dealer I’m using, NIRVC, is relatively close by in Lewisville, Texas and I have other quality shops available closer to home. There is a certified Spartan shop just up the road. I’ve used them twice on recall items and they’ve done good both times.

The new coach will have the Spartan five year warranty and I probably won’t keep it that long. It also comes with the standard rear air connector and I’m planning to go back to air braking on my toad.

Although I’ve lived in Texas for 44 years, I was raised in Indiana, so I don’t mind driving back home to Indiana when that makes the most sense. And Spartan is located in Charlotte, MI, just up the road from Nappanee. That’s in Eaton County, MI, and since my last name is Eaton, we get discounts on all kinds of stuff when we go there.... ok that last part’s just wishful thinking.

We are going with the 4081 floor plan. We want to stay in a forty and it offers several improvements over the 4018. We too spent a lot of time looking at a 35 foot New Aire before deciding it was just a bit too tight for us.

We were not planning to do factory delivery, but NIRVC made us an offer we couldn’t refuse - deep discount from list and they threw in a juicy credit from their dealer prep costs, so we will be going to Indiana in late February for pickup. Don’t know if we can still handle the cold.

I concur with most all of your observations/comparisons. They are driving factors in our decision process as well.
2017 Dutch Star 4018 - Sold - Towing Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 07:26 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have long defended the Freightliner brand and believe the chassis is a great chassis as is the spartan chassis.

In 2019 I chose freightliner again, and the one disappointment is the digital dash being too bright. I am told there will be a fix sometime for it, as they have just fixed the 2020 dash.

The other thing I hated was the change of the cruise control and flash to pass buttons. Having flash to pass on the steering wheel is crucial. The location on the dash switch is hard to find.

What I hate about the 2020 is the relocation of the comfort steer control, the gear shift, and numerous other features that used to be simple buttons now require menus and searching all while driving.

For me, if spartan has done a better job of the driving experience and control operation, I would buy a spartan. I have not seen how spartan has modified their dash driving area for 20, but I sure hope they chose not to follow FL.

I doubt FL will reverse course in the 2021 year, and that should help sell a few more spartans if they stick with the old way of doing things.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash, dutch star