RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2019, 05:10 AM   #57

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
The other option is use the TV as the monitor
That is the better idea. The comfy recliner with a 18" tall tower computer installed in the table between the recliners, wireless KB and mouse and stretch a cable for video across the floor under a throw rug when you are using the computer. Swap the monitor for a 55 or 65 inch OLED and increase the text size for easy reading.

I do that at home and am more comfortable in the Lazy-Boy recliner and using the 10 year old 60" Pioneer KIRO plasma moniter than sitting in the oversize judge chair at the computer desk.

2012 Bay Star 2901, 2 ACs, 5.5KW Onan, 765W solar & Outback FM-60, 800 AH Lifeline AGMs & Magnum MS2812 + AGS + BMK, Koni FSDs, Safe-T-Plus, Super Steer Rear Track Bar, MCD Duo shades w/powered cockpit, remodeled galley, Sumo springs and 2008 Tacoma 4x4 toad.
joes2901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2019, 06:33 AM   #58

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertboyz View Post
Looks like Steinbring has now added the new floorplans to their website.

FLSteve

FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 06:42 AM   #59
Newmarian

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I've asked them to respectfully block me....

So the "All new Dutch Star" we've been hearing about up to this point was actually the VENTANA!

I have to say in what I've seen so far (prior to getting blocked) the VENTANA is the winner along with the NEW AIRE for the golden 2020 awards?
Old 04-11-2019, 06:45 AM   #60
Newmarian

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerhound View Post
ah man... here I sit at the dealer rv park with my 2019 New Aire next door waiting on me to get my money wired to their bank. I would love a king bed, larger fresh water and fuel tanks and that larger engine. Just feels so wrong to start over and leave the dealer with a customized coach on his lot. I think the karma gods would come get me.

I do love my coach choices, but to think... that bed might actually allow my dog to let me sleep like a grownup.
I have a feeling there is a nice padded bed, with side rails, on the floor for you.
Old 04-11-2019, 06:48 AM   #61
Newmarian

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Look at the ceiling of the MADP. That looks cool!
Old 04-11-2019, 06:52 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by tqqest View Post
Now, I am not so sure. I find it very hard to believe that the 2020 Newmar Dutch Star and Ventana still do not have any central control systems. All the Tiffin diesels have it, and now, Entegra has added the VegaTouch system
Central control systems aren't "all that and a bag of chips".

Just ask the folks with obsolete systems where you can't get boards (or support). And some of the Entegra folks who don't have manual overrides for slides, HVAC, etc., especially when the Firefly system is acting up.

Should such controls be available, IMHO either they should be optional OR at minimum they should retain duplicate "manual" controls that override the central panel.
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 08:21 AM   #63

Quote:
I have to say in what I've seen so far (prior to getting blocked) the VENTANA is the winner along with the NEW AIRE for the golden 2020 awards?
Is it though? I mean, to me it looks like they pretty much just added a bunch of cost increases to the VTDP. Is all the stuff cool and useful? Sure! But VTDP is an entry-level diesel pusher, so what's it doing with Girard awnings, and a step-well cover?

I suppose if I'm fair about it, many of the VTDP changes seem to be influenced by changes that were made to the DSDP since the houses for both are pretty much functionally identical. For example, 2" higher basement doors was probably necessary so they could use the same house from the DSDP, which required the higher basement for the sanicon fix.

All I'm saying is, the DSDP always seemed to be the better deal to me and now with all the stuff they've added to the VTDP which I expect will require a fairly substantial price increase, along with the relatively minor changes made to the DSDP, it seems they'll now be much closer in price making the DSDP even more of a no-brainer.

I don't like the new VTDP's redesigned ceiling. Looks like a tacky party limousine ceiling to me. The DSDP's new ceiling design is okay.

The MADP does have a cool ceiling design. One thing I would have changed though is I probably would have gone with wood or laminate or some other hard-surface ceiling instead of what looks like to be some kind of fabric covering over each of those 'tiles', I guess you'd call them. It just makes it feel a bit like a rubber room to me, but I do like the basic design of the isometric tile grid with recessed backlighting. Just not a fan of the fabric covering on those tiles.

Interesting thing my wife pointed out to me last night, looks like they killed the VTDP4310, but kept the DSDP4310. We thought that was a little strange. Probably just going the way of holding back 2-full bath coaches to the mid-level DP (DSDP+) rather than entry-level DP (VTDP-).

All JMHO
Old 04-11-2019, 08:40 AM   #64
Newmarian

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapnerd View Post
Is it though? I mean, to me it looks like they pretty much just added a bunch of cost increases to the VTDP.
I agree, I thought the same thing, this is probably going to raise the VTDP price about 50K. The Girards alone are 20-30K. The only question is what will the increase on the DSDP be? Will it help keep the margin wide enough? I expected this and posted in the 2020 Lottery thread that VTDP would get Girards only because the Ent Aspire got them (I don't follow Ent so not sure if it always had them) but it's the competitive twin of the VTDP so I saw it coming.

It's all moot, I'm in "coach marriage counseling" and how to love your coach and keep it for 10+ years. I envy those on here that have had their coach 10+ years and fought off the "twofootitis". I do love my VTDP, I wish I had known about specials and would have made a few changes but I am very very happy with this coach (today).
Old 04-11-2019, 08:42 AM   #65

Does it annoy anyone else that Newmar keeps putting the rear toilet right in front of the rear egress door so that you have to climb over the toilet to get out of the rig? Maybe its a non-issue since that door gets used so little, but it always makes my eye twitch when I see it. I liked the location of the rear toilet on the 2019s, though I think they could have been a little closer to the bathroom door to give more room to getting to that egress door. I also winder if they considered putting the egress through the shower wall instead. I'd rather climb through a shower to get out than climb over a toilet.

The only models where this doesn't seem to be the case are the 4320, 4311 & 4081.
Old 04-11-2019, 08:57 AM   #66

Quote:
It's all moot, I'm in "coach marriage counseling" and how to love your coach and keep it for 10+ years. I envy those on here that have had their coach 10+ years and fought off the "twofootitis". I do love my VTDP, I wish I had known about specials and would have made a few changes but I am very very happy with this coach (today).
I'm a "drive it til the wheels fall off" kind of guy, myself. VTDP is an awesome coach. When we backed out of our 19 DSDP4326 purchase, we started seriously eyeballing some 19 VTDPs as they were pretty darn close to a DSDP and a whole lot cheaper. Unfortunately for my wallet, we completely despise carpet. Any carpet at all. It doesn't make any sense how much we hate carpet since neither of us have severe allergies or anything like that. We just hate it, which is kind of forcing us into a DSDP. We initially though maybe we'd get a VTDP with the Essex Rialto woodgrain tile floors and try to find some kind of vinyl or laminate that closely matched, then when the warranty period was over yank the carpet and see what we could do to get the laminate or vinyl in there, knowing it would never be completely flush but we figured we could hack together some sort of acceptable transition as I have decent carpentry skills (thanks dad!). All these changes to the VTDP though and what I expect will be a big increase on the base cost, I just don't see a reason to go VTDP in 2020 when a DSDP gets you much more bang for your buck.
Old 04-11-2019, 02:35 PM   #67

Alpine Owners Club
Williepaul - All - My current coach (2007) has everything electronic, the only manual overrides are the slides and smart beds, you cannot even lower/raise the jacks without the PC Brain working, if it goes down, you are SOL. I like the fact that most of the systems in the Ventana are the old fashioned way, manual, with a dedicated switch. Switches are easy to replace. You can have all that fancy tech crap, it's just something that will bite you later on. Now, I might have misunderstood you and if you are talking about a dedicated PC workstation, then I am all for that, we had cabinet built for that in our present coach, but I hate all the computerized carp controls.
Old Rv'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 04:39 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-RVer View Post
Williepaul - All - My current coach (2007) has everything electronic, the only manual overrides are the slides and smart beds, you cannot even lower/raise the jacks without the PC Brain working, if it goes down, you are SOL. I like the fact that most of the systems in the Ventana are the old fashioned way, manual, with a dedicated switch. Switches are easy to replace. You can have all that fancy tech crap, it's just something that will bite you later on. Now, I might have misunderstood you and if you are talking about a dedicated PC workstation, then I am all for that, we had cabinet built for that in our present coach, but I hate all the computerized carp controls.
nope, you didn't mis-understand me.....and i agree with you....the silver leaf system in the high line coaches is something that is cool, but could be a PITA....

but coaches are all going that way, i guess....it's only a matter of time....

BTW, my parents had a 1999 alpinlite 5'er....the spyglass 29.5 IIRC....that back picture window was awesome....that rig was so good to them.....they had it 16 years and sold it when they gave up traveling......
willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 04:39 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentILRVer View Post
Just got word the cost is $5,495. A little less than I was expecting. I agree with some of the comments regarding the usefulness of adaptive cruise. I know at times it’s a pain in our cars, I can only imagine how it could be bothersome in a coach. I’m going to wait to decide until I know more about the collision mitigation system and what all is included/involved in that system.

Our appointment is set for April 22 with Michelle at the factory. The family is excited! Lots of fun changes.
i mis read your post to be asking for MSRP increase in 2020 over 2019.....
willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 05:04 PM   #70

Here is a short video of the Kountry Star.

06smokey is offline   Reply With Quote