Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2019, 09:00 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
I guess everyone's needs and experiences are different, but in our coach we find that the two electric elements provide plenty of hot water for showers, etc. And, that's in the mountains of Montana...and, elsewhere...where the groundwater is certainly not warm.

TJ
Funny you mention that. The only place I have to switch the oasis on for hot showers is at our place in Montana. We are a bit north of your place, and very close to the source, so maybe it warms itself up on the flathead headed towards you
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2019, 12:05 PM   #16
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
A lot depends on weather and ground water temperature. Were camping right now in 65 degree weather and the two electric elements are plenty for hot showers. During the summer months, one element is enough. In cold weather where you are running the Oasis furnace, there isn't enough heat generated by the electric elements if you try and shower while the furnace is running.

One of ITR's suggestions, use the water from your tank and then replenish in really cold weather so you're not trying to heat really cold ground water.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 01:35 PM   #17
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
One of ITR's suggestions, use the water from your tank and then replenish in really cold weather so you're not trying to heat really cold ground water.
Good tip, Don. That makes sense.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 03:10 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
I guess everyone's needs and experiences are different, but in our coach we find that the two electric elements provide plenty of hot water for showers, etc. And, that's in the mountains of Montana...and, elsewhere...where the groundwater is certainly not warm.

TJ

This has been my observance too. However, my wife uses the RV shower and I usually use the resort/campground shower (unless ... well, you know).
Old 03-27-2019, 06:22 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfer Guy View Post
As it is there is only one on/off switch for the Oasis and it is up front in the electronics cabinet. I like to run the Oasis when showering so I don't run out of hot H2O when on electric burners. However I always forget to turn it on. Then have to run up front buck naked and turn it on real quick. No one want to see that.

Has anyone added an on/off switch in the back bathroom on there bath and a half unit before? If so how did you accomplish this MOD?

Or if you were going to do this how would you tackle it? I'm sure a couple of you electronics geniuses would know how.
In nearly a year of full time use, we have yet to need the diesel burner for showers with 2 exceptions - 1, while on 30 amp service using only 1 electric element, and 2, while using the furnace for heat while taking showers,
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 07:57 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Slightly off topic, but it was my understanding that when both switches are on (Burner and AC) that the burner comes on first then the AC to support it. This was my observation while wintering in Myrtle Beach, I could hear the burner fire up, then in a minute or 2 the AC lights would come on.
This makes me believe that the AC is actually secondary to the Burner.
Is this correct?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:25 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Slightly off topic, but it was my understanding that when both switches are on (Burner and AC) that the burner comes on first then the AC to support it. This was my observation while wintering in Myrtle Beach, I could hear the burner fire up, then in a minute or 2 the AC lights would come on.
This makes me believe that the AC is actually secondary to the Burner.
Is this correct?
good question, I too would like to know the answer
Old 04-01-2019, 10:58 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi Boomer - The light for the electrical elements is only an indicator that electric is available to the elements, not that they are in operation. This suggests a wiring problem if it is not on when the switch is in the 1 or 2 position and ac current is available. I don't know if the Oasis we have uses one control thermostat for the boiler or a separate one for diesel and electric but I assume there is only one.

Tom
Old 04-01-2019, 12:08 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Hi Boomer - The light for the electrical elements is only an indicator that electric is available to the elements, not that they are in operation. This suggests a wiring problem if it is not on when the switch is in the 1 or 2 position and ac current is available. I don't know if the Oasis we have uses one control thermostat for the boiler or a separate one for diesel and electric but I assume there is only one.

Tom
That us not the case on our 18 model. If one or both electric elements are turned on, the light on the Oasis panel for the electric elements only lights when they are actually heating water.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 01:26 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
That us not the case on our 18 model. If one or both electric elements are turned on, the light on the Oasis panel for the electric elements only lights when they are actually heating water.
I agree with Ken, that's the way mine works.

Only lights up when heating the water.
Old 04-01-2019, 01:40 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi - Before I get really off the mark here are we discussing the remote panel light or the panel on the Oasis? If remote then I am in total agreement.

Tom
Old 04-01-2019, 06:28 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
All - Don't know about oasis, but the HH unit in my old coach on the electric element could provided enough hot water we could both shower. We did turn the water off between getting wet, washing hair, rinsing off hair, soaping up body and then rinsing body. I do that at home to save water as well, we had plenty of water. Now think but don't remember the HH had a 5kw element, and one switch, the oasis has a two position switch, and the combined KW based in the manual is 3000 watts. So it does not put out the same amount of heat. Using the diesel burner might be a necessary thing, but won't know until we experience it.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:41 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi - Our old Aquahot had a 1500 watt element and that equates to about 5K BTU's.

Tom
Old 04-02-2019, 09:03 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ51 View Post
I agree with Ken, that's the way mine works.

Only lights up when heating the water.
Back to my question if we don't mind, which is primary

Burner or AC?

Somewhere I read Burner is primary, just don't know if anyone verified that.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oasis, switch