Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2016, 12:50 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
30 amp service to a 50 amp coach

I'm sure this has been addressed many times however I can find nothing on it. My 2014 DS is all electric and calls for 50 amp service. The owners manual discourages using a 30 amp converter however many sites only offer 30 amp. I have plugged into 30 amp and get a growl of sorts, so I switch to the generator. What danger/damage will using lower amps than the coach is designed for create?
jameshawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2016, 12:55 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Not sure about 2014 owners manual. Newmar use to promote there units with an AC control that let you run one unit rather than 2 or 3, specifically due to the 30 amp service. The new highly sophisticated electronics may preclude that service. Would be worth a call to Newmar. Interested in their response.
Old 08-31-2016, 01:27 PM   #3

It just comes down to available power. 120v x 50 amps x 2 legs = 12000 watts. 120v x 30 amps x 1 leg = 3600 watts. So on 30 amp service you really have a bit over 25% of total power available vs 50 amp service.

You just need to keep from exceeding that power available which generally means only one A/C unit, or microwave, or other high use item at a time. Your frig does not use much, and neither does the TV/satellite/radio or lighting. Run water heater on non-electric mode. Should be OK with 30 amp service as long as you keep in mind there is reduced total power available.

I am not sure what the growl noise you mention would be, any better info as to where or what it is coming from?
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 02:28 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
We do it a lot

We sometimes stay in campgrounds that just have 30 amp service. Since we don't use our air conditioner much, it's not much of a problem. As others have mentioned, you might not want to run high use things at the same time (stove top, dryer, AC hot water). You need an adapter, of course, to even plug it in. You're supposed to change the setting on your Magnum Energy control device in your main control panel over the passenger seat. Press the "shore" button and change max amps to 30. The unit has a sophisticated energy management system that will shed loads and try to keep the important things running and cut power to less important ones. It will also sometimes supplement from the house batteries. (You can tell if it's doing that by looking at the display on the Magnum energy thing. It will say "inverting" if it is pulling juice from the batteries.)
If it's the park I want to be in otherwise, I don't hesitate to camp with 30 amps instead of 50.
lucyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 06:35 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Since a lot of campgrounds don't have 50A service, a coach needs be capable of using 30A, although common sense says you may not be able to run all your electrical stuff. But no matter what, I will always have my Progressive Industries 50A surge protector (EMS-PT50C) hooked up to ensure there's no funny business with the 30A power coming in.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:11 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Using 30a service should not be a problem. Just, as others commented, be aware of Your consumption. The growling should is not something that should be related. Need to find out what is making the noise.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 02:22 PM   #7
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
James, on our 2016 VTDP the power management system manages all our electrical usage. The only time I have had an issue is when I did not set the inverter to 15 amps max and for some reason it pulled more than that to charge the house batteries. I was plugged into 15amp at the time. Circuit breaker in house tripped. On 15amps when we ran the microwave the inverter would pull power from the house batteries, then go back to charging the battery when done. One word of caution, do not do this with the micrwave on anything less than full power. The rapid up and down of power usage will make the inverter do some strange things as it tries to switch back and forth from the batteries.

Also make sure your ACs are set to off on lower voltages. I have been able to run one of mine on 30amps while using the rest of electric on the coach. As a general rule when packing up to move I set my zones to off on the thermostat. That way there are no surpises when I hook up again.

Mark and Louene Hetrick
Newbee the last VTDP 3725
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 06:07 PM   #8

Interesting! This is the first complaint I heard of from an all Elect coach owner. Guess the lp fridge is not so bad after all.

Tags
service