Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2017, 09:35 PM   #1

4 points wheel weighing with intercomp scale

I have an intercomp pt 3000 wheel scale and wondering if I can use it to weigh the four corners correctly. Put it in front of every wheel and drive up and record the output. After that, come up with the proper PSI for the front back and tag. A picture is attached. Coach is a Ventana 2017 4002.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PT300 Scale.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	310.8 KB
ID:	186132  
2017 Prevost Marathon #1250
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk w/AF1 and Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow System
Orinda, CA
sheridany is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2017, 05:14 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheridany View Post
I have an intercomp pt 3000 wheel scale and wondering if I can use it to weigh the four corners correctly. Put it in front of every wheel and drive up and record the output. After that, come up with the proper PSI for the front back and tag. A picture is attached. Coach is a Ventana 2017 4002.
For best accuracy, you will need to raise the opposite wheel on the axle to the same height as the scale. when weighing the rear drive and tag, all 4 wheels will need to be at the same height.
Make sure your tag axle dump is turned off (no dumping) or your rear axle weight will be invalid.
Make sure the weigh location is as close to dead level as possible.
Norm Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 05:17 AM   #3

Yes that can be done however I think your scale is only rated to 5,000 lbs. As an example, I have a Dutch Star 4369 and from the "factory" the front combined weight was
15,415 lbs. That's roughly 7,700 per side. If your scale is rated for 5,000lbs that would blow out your scale
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 08:59 AM   #4

That is a pretty nifty scale. I am envious.

I looked on their website and the PT300 has the following rating (copied from their website).

5,000 lb (2,500 kg) to 20,000 lb (10,000 kg) Pad Capacities
Accuracy of ±1% of Reading
Large, Easy-to-Read, LCD Display
NTEP Certified Models Available
Solar Power Provides up to One Year of Battery Life with Daytime, Outdoor Use
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 09:06 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
is it wide enough for your dual drive wheels ?
Old 12-19-2017, 09:18 AM   #6

intercomp website

The intercomp website says the following:

PT300™ scales can also weigh dual-tire configurations by placing the scales under the outside tires, with the inside tires suspended in the air.

Orinda, CA
Old 12-19-2017, 09:31 AM   #7

The result will not be accurate because the other 3 wheel positions will be on the ground. Not the same level as the tire on the scale. Height differences left to right or front to back will shift weight. Always weight a coach when all wheel positions are level.
FLCPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 09:45 AM   #8

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLCPA View Post
The result will not be accurate because the other 3 wheel positions will be on the ground. Not the same level as the tire on the scale. Height differences left to right or front to back will shift weight. Always weight a coach when all wheel positions are level.
Not sure how the mate in a pair of duals would still be on the ground. BUT when you drive one dual on the scale the entire load for that end of the axle will be on the scale So if the rear axle GAWR is 20,000 that means you would be loading the scale to 10,000# even if only one tire of a dual pair is on the scale.

Nice scale but IMO it is not capable of providing the measurements you need.
Old 12-19-2017, 12:08 PM   #9

How about 2 scales

Thank you all for the great responses.

If I could find another used scale same model for dual wheel whereas I would then put single wheel scale on front tire and dw scale on back rear, would that be the same as independent weighing? Just not sure how we would weigh the tag and would we really need a third scale and do all three at once.

I know I am mixing topics here but I am also wondering if I do this and it requires a decent investment to purchase more scales, can I start a business of rv weighing since I am in Northern Cal and the closest option is Indio or Arizona or wait for Escapees to come through during the summer to Sacramento. Every public scale I have been to in the area will not let me or doesn't provide enough room to weigh one side versus the other. Truck stops say the same thing.

I am surprised the rv dealers don't do this before they send you down the road.
Orinda, CA
Old 12-19-2017, 01:04 PM   #10
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Well, I'm not a tire expert, but the only issue I see is having sufficient scale capacity to handle the rear axle load. The issue of having side-to-side equal height is easily solved by making up some matching drive-on blocks. And, the slope difference between front and rear over a 200-inch-plus wheelbase would be negligible as far as I can see.

I, too, have had problems finding a commercial scale with the capability...or attendant willingness...to weigh the four corners. Most seem to have guard posts placed so that you can't get one set of wheels completely off the pads.

There is a state inspection scale about 30 miles from me that us unattended much of the time but the scales are left on. It has multiple pads on both sides of the scale house and plenty of room alongside, so I can move off to one side or another to get proper placement. I have driven down there a couple of times to check corner weights and have gotten pretty consistent readings. Close enough for me.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 02:15 PM   #11

4 points wheel weighing with intercomp scale

There may be a business in this, but you will likely have to have the scales certified and licensed annually. Most likely will need a business license (CA does their best to excessively tax businesses). The revenue stream would likely be generated from nearby RV Rally's, maybe some RV dealers, relationships with RV Campgrounds, and a few individual RV owners. It is out there, but you will have to work for it.

The selling point would be that while CAT Scales provide certified axel weights, your business would be providing information that helps the RV owner balance their loads from side to side. This is important info, but probably useful infrequently unless the owner keeps changing how they load and use their rig.

I think that your scale is great for what it does. I would pay $$ to get my four corners weighed once. If I found a good deal on a used scale like that I might purchase one too.

After a few years in our rig, I pretty much know how we roll. Recently I filled up my fresh water and diesel tanks and paid about $11 to drive on the CAT scale (the scales were not in use at the Flying J). It is not the "pure" way to weigh, but it provided me with the comfort in knowing that I am not overloaded (assuming all of my weight isn't in one side or one axel...which it isn't ).
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote