RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2018, 07:45 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
4048 versus 4037

We have settled on a 40'10" coach as being the best size we think for us. We are looking at the 4048 and the 4037. From what I can see the 4037 is very popular. We really like it, with only a couple of drawbacks. The main one is the shower size and the second one is the full wall slide. The full wall slide has pros and cons.

We are hope to see a 4048 tomorrow in person. Is there some reason that I am missing that it is not as popular? Is it that it is a single bath, not a bath and a half, or that the bath is a split one on the way to the bedroom. I think that configuration would be workable for 2 people. But the shower is bigger. The slide is smaller I believe.

Thoughts/input appreciated.

superman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2018, 08:27 PM   #2

Did you mean the 4054? I don't see a 4048, but there is a 4348.

Campin Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 08:33 PM   #3

We were in the same position last year on the DS. I did not want much over 40' and the 4018 seemed to be the most popular of the 3 40' floor plans and a floor plan I liked. However we did not want a bath and 1/2 and did not want a full wall slide for several reasons, but mostly because of my bad back and crawling under the slide every time I needed to empty the black tank is not my idea of fun. We decided to order a 4052 which is a 4 slide coach and we are very happy with our decision. Our only disappointment was the width of the pantry compared to other models. Since we optioned the residential frig the width of the pantry was narrower than anticipated, but it is working out OK. Just buy the one you like best. We may suffer a little on resale, but we tend to keep ours for a long time so I'm not concerned.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 02:43 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin Cajun View Post
Did you mean the 4054? I don't see a 4048, but there is a 4348.
Ventana LE 4048
Old 10-22-2018, 05:50 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you don’t want/need bath and a half... and it appears no Queen bed sofa for guests...I think it would be a great floor plan. You potentially loose half the sink with the slides in...but that shouldn’t hinder food prep on the road.

You will have the option of connecting water and sewer with slides in or out without doing the duck crawl under the full wall slide.

Every floor plan has it’s nuances. You may have found a better fit for you.

We like the bath and a half. It’s a better fit when having our Son, DIL, and granddaughter with us. And we each have our own sofa to sprawl across if we want.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by superman11 View Post
Ventana LE 4048
I looked at the 4048. Very interesting floor plan. We went back and forth on the bath and a half, and liked it to be honest from the standpoint of guests using the half and us the other.

Anyway, I think the 4048 is a very nice floor plan. The only two issues I saw were:

1. This is a potentially big one, especially with a model on the lot. The dinette is on the door side and the chairs are NOT on the slide. So, on the one hand this is good, because you don't have carpet under table or risk the chair partially on the slightly higher carpet area and part on main floor. However, the model I looked at clearly had the chairs left in place when bringing the slide in and that resulted in a scratched up floor. So, one consideration with this model is that you have to remove the chairs, or at minimum move them to the center of the coach, until after you pull the slide in.

2. It was a little tight at the shower entry point. Not bad, but if I remember correctly, if you put down a mat in front of the shower, another person going into the bathroom/bedroom would have to step over/around the mat, if you prefer not to have people step on the mat with shoes (assuming they are wearing them).

In the end, I decided to go with a non LE for a variety of reasons. If 4048 would have been available in a non LE, I would have strongly considered it.

Just make sure you watch out for scratched up floors if you consider one on a lot, and if you get one, make sure you build the habit of moving the chairs before bringing the slide in.

Overall, I think the 4048 is a great floor plan.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 12:59 PM   #7

We have a 4048 LE and really like it. The only thing I donít like is access to the bath with slides in but the trade off would be less room with the slides out. I really like the wet bay access with the slides out.
nomad bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:31 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad bull View Post
We have a 4048 LE and really like it. The only thing I donít like is access to the bath with slides in but the trade off would be less room with the slides out. I really like the wet bay access with the slides out.
Thank you. As you mentioned, we really liked the layout, but ended up going the 4037 route because as a bigger guy - I had a really hard time getting to the bathroom with the slides in and thinking that this will get worse as I get older.

We really liked the kitchen layout - best we looked at.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by superman11 View Post
Thank you. As you mentioned, we really liked the layout, but ended up going the 4037 route because as a bigger guy - I had a really hard time getting to the bathroom with the slides in and thinking that this will get worse as I get older.

We really liked the kitchen layout - best we looked at.
What did you go for in terms of dinette? If ease of passing to the bathroom is an issue, you should consider the roll-away dinette.

tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote