RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2006, 06:26 AM   #1

Once again I am in a quandry. I bought a real nice Adco cover for my 35' motorhome and used it one season. When I bought my 39' the next year, of course I gave the cover to my buddy for his 36'er and bought a new one. I used that one one year and upgraded to my beautiful new coach. So now I have a 40' cover which won't fit on my new 43'er and I can't find a cover over 40'. Do any of you fine folks know where I can get a cover without having to break the bank??
Thanks,
Keith

2008 F-350 4WD toad
keithmadp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2006, 06:26 AM   #2

Once again I am in a quandry. I bought a real nice Adco cover for my 35' motorhome and used it one season. When I bought my 39' the next year, of course I gave the cover to my buddy for his 36'er and bought a new one. I used that one one year and upgraded to my beautiful new coach. So now I have a 40' cover which won't fit on my new 43'er and I can't find a cover over 40'. Do any of you fine folks know where I can get a cover without having to break the bank??
Thanks,
Keith

2008 F-350 4WD toad
Old 11-29-2006, 07:43 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
CW has a custom cover page for longer than 40'plus a number to call 1-888-853-6851 if you have tried already maybe someone else has an answer.
Congrats on your new coach.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 08:57 AM   #4
Administrator Emeritus

I know covers are like flavors of ice cream, what one likes someone else may not like.

Having said that, and having wrestled with a cover for a 32' fifth wheel we used to own, I will make
my case AGAINST covers.
Let alone the obvious issues of wrestling with the cover some 12 feet off the ground, to me there are several other issues to deal with.
Firstly, the issue of getting the "right" cover for your coach, then making sure it's fastened such that it won't actually do more harm than good by rubbing at the corners.

Personally I would rather give my coach a good waxing and leave it uncovered, but I guess there may be an extreme situation where one "may" desire to cover it, I've just never seen that situation.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 10:02 AM   #5
cwg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Having said that, and having wrestled with a cover for a 32' fifth wheel we used to own, I will make my case AGAINST covers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Amen to that.. Unless black pitch and tar are raining from the sky, I don't see how they are justified, especially as they retain so much moisture against the sides and top of the RV.

fixed quotes
cwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 10:23 AM   #6

Thanks for the input fellas,
I agree with not covering the coach, however I figured that my decisions aren't always the best. Now my decision has been made. Thanks to all of you for your responses and now that my coach will remain uncovered -- I have a nice Adco 40' cover for sale. lol
Keith

2008 F-350 4WD toad
Old 11-30-2006, 02:40 AM   #7

One other thought...if you cover it, do you intend on driving it during the storage period? If you are in a cold weather climate, you may not be able to remove the cover during the winter (ice and snow storage period. These rigs need to be driven at least once per month to keep everything moving and exercised. My Cummins engine dealer suggested driving the MH at least 100 miles per month to get the engine temp up to help minimize or eliminate the negative effects of moisture in the engine and oil.

Newmar Mountain Aire
JerryKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 05:00 PM   #8

If you park under/near trees a cover can help keep the grime and slime from leaves or tree drippings off your finish as well as the black soot fallout from everyday pollution. All a function of where you park.

Cover modifications? Take your cover to a marine canvas maker (yellow pages). Even many land-locked cities have a shop. They can modify these monster fabrics anyway you want. I paid about $40 to have an ADCO shortened. Used the same factory look double stitch. I'll bet it would not be much more to lengthen or even rearrange the door and the like.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:53 PM   #9

If i had a new MH with full body paint I would never cover it, because the wind blowing that cover will surely wear the clear coat and the paint off over time. As much has I hate to leave my 2001 DSDP outside its better than having to have it repainted after a short time.

Larry
jag2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 06:32 PM   #10
Administrator Emeritus

jag2001, WELCOME to iRV2 and CONGRATS on your first post....and I agree with ya!!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 12:31 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
jag2001, welcome to iRV2.com. We are glad to have you join us here and look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. I agree that you are better off not covering (unless the cover has a roll up door) for reason already stated.

06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote