Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2016, 09:28 PM   #15
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
4519 vs 4553 floor plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
That's what we thought when we ordered the '00 DSDP 38' unit! And then at 68 (DW 67 then) we bought the Magna. Never say "Never"!
Agreed.

No how much planning you do, even those of us who have owned a few RV's, I think it's impossible to buy your last RV first. As you start to use your RV, you'll begin to realize aspects of RV features that never even dawned on you before. Also as you age (and gain experience), you'll find what you want in an RV changes.

We have found both of these scenarios affecting the purchase of each successive RV. With our latest 2015 Newmar Ventana 4037, we custom ordered what we hope to be our last RV using 40+ years experience and 6 previous RV's as data input. While I hope this will be our last RV, logic tells me it probably won't be.

I hear that mantra of "Buy your last RV first" all the time here. I just don't think it's possible. I know that 40 years ago I would not have bought what we just bought.

OP, good luck with your purchase but realize that as you gain experience, you'll probably desire something different. And please do think about the length and size of your first purchase.

Since you've never experienced the RV lifestyle in any form, I'd suggest renting for an extended summer vacation to see if you even like the whole experience. I grew up camping in tents, pop up trailers and finally travel trailers with my parents. This was followed by many RV types with my own family, so I've always known I loved the lifestyle. Even then, I only hoped to know what I wanted at age 60 when I bought the 2015 Ventana.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2016, 09:06 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Our 1st RV (4 years ago) was a 43' Toy Hauler behind a F350 DRW. Our 2nd is the current 45' MADP. The MA with it's IFS, is much more maneuverable and easier to back into a space than the pickup and 5th wheel.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 04:30 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Appreciate everyone's thoughts. No doubt this won't be the last RV purchased despite hope otherwise. If it is like the way we go through houses . . .
JohnRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 05:23 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
We opted for the 4553 on our LA. If we could have gotten the bedroom closets from the King Aire, or even the cabinets from the DS, perhaps we'd have done something different.

As for the bigger shower - more to clean.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 05:42 PM   #19

While my RV isn't anywhere to the level as the one you're about to purchase.. I would say... never discount the luxury of a large shower...

We have what is called the WBGO "big" shower... and we love it..

Also, as many have said... "Happy Wife = Happy Life"

Good Luck !!
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 08:58 AM   #20

Be careful

I have followed this thread with interest in the advice given. This is a big decision and needs careful consideration. Not everyone makes the right decision. We were lucky enough to buy a two year old 4353 2012 DS from an owner who made a mistake. This coach was just tool big for him so he lost big bucks for making the wrong decision after 12000 miles.
I love driving and enjoying the coach. It has turned out to be perfect for our situation. His poor decision has been our gain.

It is very important to take the time drive a large coach to see if it for you. Floor plan is important, but if the coach sits undriven, you'll be unhappy. Not everyone can go from driving a car to a 43foot motorhome with ease.
rvnavigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 04:15 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
RVNavigator - Since we will be going full time, we want to choose the right coach (of course, much easier said than done given that we have never owned an RV before) as we don't want to feel cramped (which is why we like the larger shower).

Your point about the length is well taken. Being a bit concerned about this, we have been reconsidering the MA and looking again at the 43' DS. But, in reviewing the specs, the difference in length is only 13". So, what difference would there be driving the 43' if only a foot shorter?

We don't plan to be doing much boondocking and want the comforts of a home (meaning max space and all electric). We want to see national parks but don't need to stay in them (meaning the fact the coach won't is too long is not an issue).

I am not concerned about driving a long RV and neither is my wife. I see you bought a used coach. We are considering that too.

The good thing is that notwithstanding we are looking at other manufacturers, we keep returning to Newmar, meaning we have at least made one big decision. Lazy Days Tampa is having an Enterga event next weekend and we are going to head up there to take a detailed look at those. Saw them at the Tampa show last month but we're tight for time. Just want to reaffirm our decision that Newmar is the way to go. How did you find your DS?
Old 02-21-2016, 08:19 PM   #22

Quote:
.... '67 Camaro and 4 on the floor, ....
I had a 67 RS/SS with 396 4 gear that I upgraded to 427. I absolutely LOVE being old, and having been able to experience the 60's. <<sigh>>
Rob
Old 02-21-2016, 10:52 PM   #23
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
4519 vs 4553 floor plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRL View Post

Your point about the length is well taken. Being a bit concerned about this, we have been reconsidering the MA and looking again at the 43' DS. But, in reviewing the specs, the difference in length is only 13". So, what difference would there be driving the 43' if only a foot shorter?

We don't plan to be doing much boondocking and want the comforts of a home (meaning max space and all electric). We want to see national parks but don't need to stay in them (meaning the fact the coach won't is too long is not an issue).

I am not concerned about driving a long RV and neither is my wife.

From personal experience, I'd say that every foot past 35' or so makes a huge difference in maneuverability when backing up or driving through tight city streets or campgrounds. A 43' or 45' MH is a big MH for a first timer let alone an experienced RVer. I'd make sure in your test drives that you are comfortable maneuvering through tight areas and backing into spots on an angle or through curves.

I have no issues putting my 40 footer anywhere I want but I also admit it takes far more skill, patience and use of mirrors and cameras backing into my S shaped driveway that I've been parking 18-24' travel trailers and 31-40' motorhomes into for over 40 years than anything I've had prior. I could handle a 45' with no problems but it would not make that S turn no matter how good I was. Size does matter driving these things.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

Old 02-21-2016, 11:16 PM   #24

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadder View Post
I had a 67 RS/SS with 396 4 gear that I upgraded to 427. I absolutely LOVE being old, and having been able to experience the 60's. <<sigh>>
Rob
Mine was an SS 350. But I took that engine out and put a 396 out of a '66 Chevell, you know the hyd lifter one with a 7,000 red line NHRA factored to 450 HP and it's "rock crusher" trans.
In the Chevell it ran in 132 in the 11's. Never did run it on the strip but in the Camaro under a full power 1-2 shift it would pull the front wheels using street tires from Sears.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 07:21 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
4519 vs 4553 floor plan

I have an 09 DS 4368 and am quite happy with it. It is the first RV I have ever owned and I would say it exceeds our expectations. I should mention that I am quite handy so mods, mechanical understanding and repairs aren't a big issue.

I am at the Tampa Lazydays this week and I have been pursuing the Entegra line up. Overall the floor plans, finish and quality seem very comparable if not eerily similar to Newmar.

One thing I did notice and do not care for is the lack of room for the drivers left foot. I sat in the drivers seat to find that there was nowhere to comfortably rest it. One can only put it flat on the floor as the area where you should have a faux pedal is closed off, not great for long periods of driving.

John, If you would like, I would be happy to meet up with you and take a walk around.

Steph and Eden

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 02-24-2016, 07:26 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Mine was an SS 350. But I took that engine out and put a 396 out of a '66 Chevell, you know the hyd lifter one with a 7,000 red line NHRA factored to 450 HP and it's "rock crusher" trans.
In the Chevell it ran in 132 in the 11's. Never did run it on the strip but in the Camaro under a full power 1-2 shift it would pull the front wheels using street tires from Sears.

Ok you two, stop it, you are making me miss my 70 Chevelle that is peacefully sitting in a heated garage back home in Canada.

Btw I had a 68 Camaro SS pro street. just sold it, had a 468 solid lifter pushing 700 ponies. Was a straight line only car. I don't think the gent that bought it will be able to handle it, still waiting to read something in the paper.

Steph and Eden

Old 02-24-2016, 11:49 AM   #27
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramichi View Post
I have an 09 DS 4368 and am quite happy with it. It is the first RV I have ever owned and I would say it exceeds our expectations. I should mention that I am quite handy so mods, mechanical understanding and repairs aren't a big issue.

I am at the Tampa Lazydays this week and I have been pursuing the Entegra line up. Overall the floor plans, finish and quality seem very comparable if not eerily similar to Newmar.

One thing I did notice and do not care for is the lack of room for the drivers left foot. I sat in the drivers seat to find that there was nowhere to comfortably rest it. One can only put it flat on the floor as the area where you should have a faux pedal is closed off, not great for long periods of driving.

John, If you would like, I would be happy to meet up with you and take a walk around.

Steph and Eden

I noticed exactly the same thing when I test drove one at the 2014 Hershey Show.

Old 02-24-2016, 08:27 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Steph - we will be stopping at Lazy Days tomorrow afternoon on our way to Disney. Would like to hook up of possible. Might you be able to pm me with a contact no? We too want to look closer at the Entegra models. John.