Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2019, 06:16 PM   #15

It’s all about marketing. I’m sure there is a big price difference between the 43 and 45ft models. Easier to justify the price difference if you market it as a 2ft longer coach. Most people probably don’t look at actual specs and know that it’s only 1ft difference.
Jthigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2019, 09:57 PM   #16
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
To Neal’s original post (boy us Newmar owners sure chase topics like a squirrel [emoji883] after shiny). Yes I like paying 43’ prices for a 45’ motor home. Research trumps market hype every time.

To the license question (or shiny nut) I seem to be able to drive my “43’” coach about as easy as my 26’ class C. Maybe I should have a class super x, secret committee, endorsement on my license.

But seriously, safety is important. But driving a commercial 75’ tractor trailer is worlds different than the skills needed to drive a motor home. And how the crazy “commercial” drivers I was around today (certified of course) can be said to safely drive their rigs is beyond my understanding. Although I am not so naive to think that cheating on tests does not happen.

No, and I mean no, DMV has a valid skills test for driving a motor home! When they do, then and only then will I consider believing a “special license” is worth a hoot. For example, in CA you have to back a rig up to a space within the lines without resetting your position. The course is designed for a tractor/trailer unit that has vastly different turning angles. That is just plain stupid. Why should you not recenter your rig if your first angle was off. The test is written by either people who have never driven a big vehicle, or are egotistical old nuts that require you to meet a standard of doing something they can’t do themselves, just to prove they are better drivers than you (even though they can’t pass the same test in your motor home). Ask them to try and see what happens.

On Winnebagophobia complex, those who do not drive RVs think we all drive Winnebagos, so get over it or get some therapy.

Tom, right as always. If Newmar had bought Winnebago, we would be lauding Matt Miller as a genius. Matt is a smart guy, but genius? Ok, another shiny to follow... the story continues for those not adept it ...
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 11:02 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Getting back on topic, if you are an Entegra owner, the Aspire and Anthems are listed as 44 ft and the Cornerstone as 45 ft... but they have the same chassis and bodywork.
Johnontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 06:30 AM   #18

Our 43 Dutch Star has the accordion option. Most of the time when making reservations it is 43' even though I know it's almost 44' . But sometimes, when making reservations in a park that has a 40' max length ( even though I know the sites are longer), the accordion option allows it to shrink to 40'
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 07:04 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
This doesn't seem like an economical decision. You'd think if they reduced the variations in chassis they could buy a larger quantity of one and save more money. I realize it's pass through but when you look at the number of chassis's, floor plans, models, and even now producing Class A and Super C it doesn't result in a better product for the customer in my opinion. Slightly off topic but in my opinion kill the 43 and go with the 44 or 45 whatever you want to call it. If the 40 is 40-10 then it should technically be a 44 with 44-10/11 dimensions. Then again, isn't it great to be an arm chair coach of a half billion $$$ company. Back to my chips and dip.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 07:52 AM   #20

the 43' is to hit a lower price point with smaller engine and lower payload. I think the 43' DutchStar is their bread and butter line? So if you want a bigger engine and higher payload you'll get a 45' and pay a lot more for it.
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:23 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainGizmo View Post
And shall we talk about how ludicrous it is, that a Non-Commercial Class B License is NOT required of you have that “41 foot” rig, since it is “40 feet or less” in the DMV standards!!!!???

Don’t get me started on my opinion. Ok. Too late. This is probably some legal slight of hand, agreed. But, in my opinion, the driving skills needed for a 40.75’ are no less than that of a 43.75’ and, therefore, should require the same testing and license class!!

Interesting, there are no exceptions for the 40 foot models that exceed 40 feet. The law is the law and the 40.75 is subject to litigation just like the 43, just less likely that it will go there.
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:49 AM   #22
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
You'd think if they reduced the variations in chassis they could buy a larger quantity of one and save more money. I realize it's pass through but when you look at the number of chassis's, floor plans, models, and even now producing Class A and Super C it doesn't result in a better product for the customer in my opinion.
Be careful what you wish for, Neal! I suspect by 2027, you may just find fewer available options than there are now. You may have to start reconfiguring to the 2027 Winnie Aire...or Ventana Tour.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 09:36 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jthigh View Post
It’s all about marketing. I’m sure there is a big price difference between the 43 and 45ft models. Easier to justify the price difference if you market it as a 2ft longer coach. Most people probably don’t look at actual specs and know that it’s only 1ft difference.

Yes, because nobody has 1footitis!
Old 09-23-2019, 11:27 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
Interesting, there are no exceptions for the 40 foot models that exceed 40 feet. The law is the law and the 40.75 is subject to litigation just like the 43, just less likely that it will go there.

Exactly!
CaptainGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 11:29 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
I find it odd that the 40ft coach is 40' 10", 43ft is 43' 10" but the 45ft is 44' 10"

So it's only 1 foot longer than a 43, very odd!

And guess what?

If I were to pay for that extra foot, I’d get another 155 HP to pull it...how’s THAT for maddening!

450HP for 44’
605HP for 45’

Next time.
CaptainGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 11:34 AM   #26

Quote:
And guess what?

If I were to pay for that extra foot, I’d get another 155 HP to pull it...how’s THAT for maddening!

450HP for 44’
605HP for 45’

Next time.
you'll also get the 4000 trans instead of the 3000, longer wheel base, and higher GVWR.
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 11:34 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Unless it's a 45ft MADP...then its "only" 500HP
Quote:
And guess what?

450HP for 44’
605HP for 45’

Next time.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 12:35 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
And guess what?

450HP for 44’
605HP for 45’

Next time.

Let’s not forget the thousands of additional pounds of weight that come with that larger engine, driveline weight, luxury option weight etc. not to say there isn’t more power, just Net power gain after weight increase is less looking at power to weight ratio.
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote