Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2019, 10:16 AM   #1

Lost Power to Passenger Seat

2016 Dutch Star lost power to passenger seat. Where do I start.
5windows is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2019, 10:21 AM   #2

Fuse or breaker in electronics bay below driver.
judgebobk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:22 AM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Looking at my photos of my fuses on my 2014 DS, there is a fuse in the front run bay (bay under driver's window). It's inside one of the black boxes and is labeled pass seat.

Also, make sure yo didn't pinch/cut the wires while turning the seat.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:25 AM   #4

My 19 has a push reset breaker in the bay we both mentioned. It's easy to overlook it with a red tab you push to the side to re enable.
judgebobk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:25 AM   #5

Looked at fuse panel, Didn't look in black box. Thanks so much will ck that.
5windows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 12:57 PM   #6

Dutch Star Don is on the right track if it is not the fuse. On mine it turned out to be the connection under the seat, it was loose.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Also, make sure yo didn't pinch/cut the wires while turning the seat.
Let me add -- and accidentally rotating the seat the wrong way and wrapping that cable harness around the seat post -- and pulling a wire out.

That's what I did. At least with our rig, there's a right direction to rotate the passenger's seat and a wrong direction. And when you go the wrong way and wrap the cable harness around the post -- it puts a lot of strain in the wires and connectors.

And then add to that, the original worker who crimped the power cable connector did a really poor job. So the wire just pulled right out of the crimp connector.

The good news for me was that because the crimp had been done so poorly, I was able to salvage the crimp, open it up enough to stick the wire back in -- and then crimp it more firmly. The local ACE hardware store didn't have a great crimping tool, but they had one -- and it worked -- and I had the seat working again in no time.

And now before rotating that seat, I get down on my hands and knees and make absolutely sure I'm rotating the seat the proper direction.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
WoodyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:36 AM   #8

Some of the seats have a relay/breaker that auto resets, and some just have a breaker or fuse.

My driver's seat has gone "dead" once and awhile. I had the factory investigate it even though it was working when we had our appointment up there. My breaker/fuse was okay and they could not find any issues with the wiring. Weird.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:51 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Passenger seat cable

I have had my passenger seat also stop because of an issue withe the cable - unplug and replug fixes it!
wepinegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 11:45 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLJOE View Post
Some of the seats have a relay/breaker that auto resets, and some just have a breaker or fuse.

My driver's seat has gone "dead" once and awhile. I had the factory investigate it even though it was working when we had our appointment up there. My breaker/fuse was okay and they could not find any issues with the wiring. Weird.
I had this happen to drivers seat and when you turn it around you move it full forward so it will clear the steering wheel. I could not move it back and being 6’4” no way I was driving. Fuse was good and after about 2 hours of fiddling with wires and connectors underneath I got it to move back. I had service in Nappanee scheduled so I let them fix it under warranty (loose connector) including tiding up the harness underneath which was a mess. No problems since.
NWIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 08:10 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWIP View Post
I had this happen to drivers seat and when you turn it around you move it full forward so it will clear the steering wheel. I could not move it back and being 6’4” no way I was driving. Fuse was good and after about 2 hours of fiddling with wires and connectors underneath I got it to move back. I had service in Nappanee scheduled so I let them fix it under warranty (loose connector) including tiding up the harness underneath which was a mess. No problems since.
Thanks Bill, I will get under there and examine that connector.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power