Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2013, 08:32 PM   #1

74" jack knife sofa

Finally got DW out looking at some RVs for our future retirement. Have decided since we love our dream home and our neighborhood in Tucson we will only leave for maybe up to a month at a time. So I've gone from researching 40+ ft luxury models (which included Newmar) to now looking at 30-34 ft and pretty much sold on Newmar. And was thinking 3 years out to now maybe next year so very interested in 2014 models. And thinking likely a Bay Star now.

So with DW finally sitting in models, she wasn't totally comfortable in the 74" jack knife sofa. I seem to recall reading posts with recommendations on sofas that were comfortable. But not finding them in my searches. So, hoping everyone can give us some options to replace the jack knife sofa which DW can try out and find more comfortable. My guess is it just didn't feel deep enough. Thanks for any advice.
Spacemission
Spacemission is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2013, 11:59 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the froum.
In their Brochure they list a option for a sleep type sofa.
Newmar may allow a more upgraded sofa which the dealer should be able to find out for you.
Good luck doing your home work and maybe a welcome to the Newmar family.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:35 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Your wife is right. Over the years we have had several jack knife and sleeper sofa's. The jack knife is usually both uncomfortable to sleep and to Sit on. Flexsteel and other manufactures have comfortable couches. Some RVers have replaced the couch with a lazy boy sofa or similar product.
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:44 AM   #4

Order without furniture(as we did) and tryout different couches at stores(Bradd & Hall-local to Newmar-we picked up coach at Newmar drove to B&H to install) and order couch to fit your decour. We had other furniture made locally-recliner, desk, bar, etc.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemission View Post
. . . now looking at 30-34 ft and pretty much sold on Newmar. And was thinking 3 years out to now maybe next year so very interested in 2014 models. And thinking likely a Bay Star now.

So with DW finally sitting in models, she wasn't totally comfortable in the 74" jack knife sofa. I seem to recall reading posts with recommendations on sofas that were comfortable. But not finding them in my searches. So, hoping everyone can give us some options to replace the jack knife sofa which DW can try out and find more comfortable. My guess is it just didn't feel deep enough. Thanks for any advice.
You have my complete attention on this!!

We have also looked at higher end models, but most of the "features", so-called, are more like a royal pain in the butt, than a feature. Take 50 amp power as an example. In 40 years of RVing, I can recall only one campground about 10 years ago that actually had 50 amp service!! So 50 amp service would mean diddling with adaptors where ever we go.

So . . . we have been looking at the Bay Star 3309. Our non-negotiable travel necessities are a comfortable sofa at the end of the day for my co-pilot, and a comfortable recliner for me. Unfortunately, Newmar, in an effort to save a few pesos, only offers a chair instead of a recliner, which is a total deal-killer for me!! And from what I am hearing here, Newmar's sofa's also tend to be just a tad short of wonderful!!

I've heard that Newmar is rather flexible when it comes to no standard options, so I wrote to Linda at Newmar over a week ago inquiring:

1. Instead of a "chair" behind the passenger seat: A recliner similar to the recliner in that 3650! Pricing on that option would be appreciated.

2. Then there is the 6 way power seat option for the driver, but nothing for the co-pilot! :-( Accepting a fancy 6 way electrical seat for me, and some sort of secondary cheap seat for my co-pilot instead of a matching power seat for my co-pilot: ESSENTIAL! Possible? Pricing?

That was over a week ago, but I haven't heard back from her.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:04 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan.Birch View Post
You have my complete attention on this!!

We have also looked at higher end models, but most of the "features", so-called, are more like a royal pain in the butt, than a feature. Take 50 amp power as an example. In 40 years of RVing, I can recall only one campground about 10 years ago that actually had 50 amp service!! So 50 amp service would mean diddling with adaptors where ever we go.

So . . . we have been looking at the Bay Star 3309. Our non-negotiable travel necessities are a comfortable sofa at the end of the day for my co-pilot, and a comfortable recliner for me. Unfortunately, Newmar, in an effort to save a few pesos, only offers a chair instead of a recliner, which is a total deal-killer for me!! And from what I am hearing here, Newmar's sofa's also tend to be just a tad short of wonderful!!

I've heard that Newmar is rather flexible when it comes to no standard options, so I wrote to Linda at Newmar over a week ago inquiring:

1. Instead of a "chair" behind the passenger seat: A recliner similar to the recliner in that 3650! Pricing on that option would be appreciated.

2. Then there is the 6 way power seat option for the driver, but nothing for the co-pilot! :-( Accepting a fancy 6 way electrical seat for me, and some sort of secondary cheap seat for my co-pilot instead of a matching power seat for my co-pilot: ESSENTIAL! Possible? Pricing?

That was over a week ago, but I haven't heard back from her.
Stan.... here on the East Coast, I would say all of the campgrounds have 50 amps. We have logged over 30 days this years and have always had 50 amp service. Leaving soon for Branson, MI. and all of my campgrounds booked have the 50 amp.

Options from Newmar - yes, if you see something you like push to get it. ALL of my changes that I wanted on my CS 3940 were taken care of. I added auto lights in closets, changed the BR closet, Dinette size and changed one of the couches to two recliners. The couch we have is probally one of the best we had. We have many of coaches over the last 30 years, many from major manufactuers. This is our first Newmar. It is a VERY Well made coach. I am constantly impressed, since I am a hands on guy, on the wiring, cabinet fits and numerous other items, on their ingenuity of the product design. Are they perfect, no. If you do not hear back from Linda, give her a call. She may be on vacaton or leave.

Happy Rving!
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc8375 View Post
Stan.... here on the East Coast, I would say all of the campgrounds have 50 amps. We have logged over 30 days this years and have always had 50 amp service. Leaving soon for Branson, MI. and all of my campgrounds booked have the 50 amp.
The only campground we have stayed at that had 50 amp power, was on also the east coast; and that was in 2001! And that's about the only time we have ever stayed at a private commercial campground. We tend to gravitate toward National, State/Provincial, and Conservation area campgrounds (or Walmart) which often have no electrical at all; and if they do it's 30 amps max! The one we are headed to tomorrow for a few days, has no electrical.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:04 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc8375 View Post
Options from Newmar - yes, if you see something you like push to get it. ALL of my changes that I wanted on my CS 3940 were taken care of. I added auto lights in closets, changed the BR closet, Dinette size and changed one of the couches to two recliners. . . If you do not hear back from Linda, give her a call. She may be on vacaton or leave.
I have been following your experience with your new rig. As I recall, you originally wanted a CS 3515; the same one we wanted, but were too late with our order. This year's equivalent is the 3650, but Newmar hasn't even published the 2014 CS brochure yet. So we have pretty much narrowed our choice down to the CS 3650 or an upgraded BS 3309.

With the year/model change overs, I can understand that Newmar might be a bit slow getting back to me, so no big deal.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:04 AM   #9
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav5942 View Post
Order without furniture(as we did) and tryout different couches at stores
If that's an option w/Newmar, I'd do that. La-Z-Boy makes great & oh-so-comfortable, reclining furniture that's easy to get inside an RV. Plus there's lifetime warranty on mechanisms.

At last year's FMCA, I sat on sofas & in recliners in practically every coach, from the entry-level to the Newell. Honestly, none of the installed upholstered furniture was comfortable in the long run (some worse than others). Getting durable/comfortable furniture is key to enjoying your RV.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:42 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I do not know where you have been looking Stan but the CS Brochures have been posted in sticky above since first of June.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";1621093]I do not know where you have been looking Stan but the [URL="http://newmarcorp.com/resources/brochures/canyon-star-brochure?nid=0
CS Brochures[/URL] have been posted in sticky above since first of June.

Thanks 007, but the brochure you referenced is only 2 pages, and if you watch carefully when you click on it, you might notice a brief background flash that sez Canyon Star Temp! Even that has now been deleted from their website, leaving no info whatsoever on the Canyon Star.

So far, we have only seen the floor plan for one of the rigs under consideration; the Canyon Star 3650. So many of the specs Newmar has posted for this rig so far, are SO obviously flawed . . . No big deal. I suspect that Newmar's Canyon Star, last and least line of their product line, is at the very bottom of the list to be promoted.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:39 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I find all floor plans all options all chassis weight combinations, fabric, type cabinets etc,etc.
You can enlarge pages, where it says click to read and slide from page to page!!!!
Old 06-27-2013, 08:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
I find all floor plans all options all chassis weight combinations, fabric, type cabinets etc,etc. You can enlarge pages, where it says click to read and slide from page to page!!!!
You can't depend upon something you saw on the Newmar website yesterday. For gas motor-coaches, Newmar no longer even lists Canyon Star as an option. The only current gas options are Bay Star Sport, and Bay Star; No information on Canyon Star: No floor plans; nothing!

http://www.newmarcorp.com/motor-coaches/gas
Old 06-28-2013, 06:13 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Stan, I do not know what the problem is but I picked up everything on your link and I was not even signed into irv2.

I see all three gas coach's and everything related to the Canyon Star.

Maybe your being censored by some one so you will not spend the money on one.

I would try another computer at the library or friends.

Good luck if your still interested in a Canyon Star.