Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2011, 10:08 AM   #1

8.1L Engine Air Fiter Question

Dumb question. I am changing the Air Filter and I did not pay attention to its position before I pulled it out. Does the wire mesh face the front of the motorhome or does it face the rear. It seems to fit either way.

My coach is a 2003 Newmar Scottsdale 8.1L Vortec/Workhorse. The location is the right front wheelwell.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2011, 10:15 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustytwo
Dumb question. I am changing the Air Filter and I did not pay attention to its position before I pulled it out. Does the wire mesh face the front of the motorhome or does it face the rear. It seems to fit either way.

My coach is a 2003 Newmar Scottsdale 8.1L Vortec/Workhorse. The location is the right front wheelwell.
On my Winnebago, the pleated filter faces the front of the coach, and the the wire mesh to the rear.

Greg & Lynn (Full-Timing)
2011 Phaeton 42 QBH / Spartan Chassis
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:18 AM   #3

The wire mesh is on the engine intake side, I think that would be the rear on your application, It's there to stop any of the filter paper from being sucked into the motor by the Vaccum/air flow. So follow you air hose routing and install accordingly.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 02:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
The wire mesh is on the engine intake side, I think that would be the rear on your application, It's there to stop any of the filter paper from being sucked into the motor by the Vaccum/air flow. So follow you air hose routing and install accordingly.
Is that air filter a Farr Ecolite disposable steel housing air filter?
spike45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:09 AM   #5

No, Spike45, most cannister/disposable housing air filters have different inlet/outlet sizes and so can't be mixed up.
Having said that the same applies for the wire mesh on the filter, intake manifold/turbo side; to prevent the paper of the filter being pulled into the engine.
Old 06-12-2011, 03:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
No, Spike45, most cannister/disposable housing air filters have different inlet/outlet sizes and so can't be mixed up.
Having said that the same applies for the wire mesh on the filter, intake manifold/turbo side; to prevent the paper of the filter being pulled into the engine.
Skip,

I would guess that you have never seen a Farr Ecolite disposable housing air filter. They have same inlet and outlet. Only the inside has a metal wrap. The outside has fiberglass strands embedded into their hot melt glue spiral. These Ecolite products per Farr can be flowed in either direction. The most common installation of these is to bring the air into the round end and exit the side of the housing. In this orientation, the metal wrap is on the wrong side but that is why they put the embedded strings. Some after market replacements,notably some our company (Fleetguard) put out for a while did not have the embedded strands. Paper did get sucked into the turbo. Fleetguard replacements for the Farr actually say Farr on the housing as well as the Fleetguard labeling.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:11 AM   #7

Spike 45, I only open my mouth to change feet. I should have said that I'd never seen that brand of filter, and that every disposable canister I'd ever changed had a larger inlet side. I'll keep that info in mind if I come across that brand/aplication.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:57 PM   #8

I think the Farr Ecolite series is the most popular air cleaner used in MH apps. Same for some truck apps like fire trucks and applications where mounting space is very limited. Our company offers a disposable housing plastic filter that would more fit your description. I am sure there are others. In the case of the Farr Ecolite, Baldwin Filter's replacement for the far is the PA2731. A close friend of mine (former Fleetguard Sales territory manager retired) is now a Baldwin distributor. He sent photos confirming the Baldwin replacement for the Ecolite has an expanded metal outer wrap to hold the paper in when plumbed as "End-In, Side-Out". I like that product better than the original Farr or our Farr purchased product.