Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2007, 01:54 PM   #1

Well until last week I hadn't had any incidents with my (5 months new to me) 3865 DutchStar. After getting to my destination I proceeded to undo the locking arms and was distracted by my pal with a question, and I hit the slide out button as I remembered I left one arm locked as it started to move. I ran over to the locked arm and hit it and unlocked it after the room had moved about 2-4". I heard a pop and it went out as it normally does.
I thought I really lucked out, two days later I was ready to leave and put the slide back in. Noticed it was sticking out by 1-1-1/2" near the driver's side. I guess when it was trying to push it out with one of the locking arms locked it skipped one of the holes in the slide rail.
OK I'll never do that again, but how can I fix the mis-alingment. I've allready tried loosening the 4-nuts holding the sprocket that meshes with the slide rail to see if I could undo enough so the rail would be free from the sprocket, but that was a no go.
Anyone done this alignment before?
Thanks for any info or direction you can point me in.

Rick

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2007, 07:51 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you can loosen the sprocket wheel on drive shaft, allen set screws, with help push the side of slide in to reset slide into recess of wall than tighten wheel it may work for you.
I wouldn't move the double nuts on rod they are for inward and outward stops for slide, its the sprocket wheel nipple we want to reset.
I and others have forgot to unlatch the lock or move the chair so welcome to the club.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 04:43 AM   #3

Thanks 007,
I'll give it a shot next weekend, so the allen set screws are on the sprocket?
Old 10-15-2007, 06:55 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Not on the sprocket itself but on sprocket gear hubs both sides that tighten to shaft for sprocket gear and one that is tightened into key slot of sprocket shaft that is on yoke that sprocket shaft fits into.
The two on both sides of sprocket gear should be the ones to loosen.
You will also see the two jam nuts that are for the adjustment for the inward stop movement of slide. DO NOT loosen these at this time. You may not have to do anything with them if you can get the rail for slide with holes onto the nipple of sprocket. With help pushing the slide the nipple may reset itself. Looking at stop nuts they maybe out from the stop bracket pushing in the slide should push them flush against the stop bracket. The forward slide rail is over my LP tank yours maybe in a compartment same thing will apply.

SLIDE ADJUSTMENT

If its required should follow this operation.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:09 AM   #5

"You are correct sir"
Front rail is over the LP tank, and it's a little hard to work on as the basement doors only go 90 degrees out.
The slide moves in and out fine it's just off by one nipple/hole
Thanks "double naught"
Old 10-16-2007, 04:13 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
My LP door will go up one more notch to give room.
Old 10-19-2007, 03:41 AM   #7

OK, how do you do that!

I guess I could disconnect the hyd. shock and temp it up. I'll attempt the fix Saturday and see how it goes.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:03 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The sliding latch will move up to top notch and hold if your slide is in just do not forget to release it if you move your slide out.
Was working on a slide for a friend this weekend his back side of kitchen slide was off 1 1/2" and front side of slide was flush when slide was opened. He had a 1" space with stop nut before it would hit the stop braket at the rear end of slide.
Loosened allen set screws on sprocket wheel hubs and pushed the slide in rear of kitchen slide to bring up flush all around slide facia to wall. retighten sprocket wheel and slide is tracking in and out correctly.
He has alot of rust around slide supports and sprockets and we lubed them up for a better operation less noise when slide now operates.

The sprocket wheel will have a allen screw on its hub. Size of allen screw is 3/16" and you may need a socket wrench setup to loosen. If you have not lubed area your allen screws maybe rusted would use some penetrating oil to help free up screw.

This pic shows the key lock for shaft from motor do not remove this allen screw just want to loosen up sprocket wheel. on this locked shaft.

You have allen screws on shaft end that may not have to be loosened this ring on shaft should stay as it is. We want to turn sprocket wheel on this shaft.

Pic shows the stop rod with the double nuts to stop inward movement of slide. All four nuts should be tight and leave in place. This rod travels thru slot bracket that you see stop nut against.

This shows the nylon lock nut to stop the slide outward movement. On my friends slide this nut was not jammed against stop plate thus inside face plate of slide was out from wall about 1 1/2" from inside wall surface. Once we freed up sprocket wheel and pushed out slide so facia was flush against wall this stop nut was flush against stop braket as you see on mine with slide open.

Another view of stop nut against bracket on my opened slide.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:18 AM   #9

"007"

Thanks for the details and pics.

Didn't get to the fix as the Big SoCal Witchfire was coming and we evacuated Sunday night.
Thank God we had the coach to go to on our rental home lot, we even had to evacuate that home on Monday afternoon.
We're fine and back home now but many homes lost in San Diego & North County. God speed to those still not knowing if they have a home to come back to.

Rick
Old 10-24-2007, 07:06 AM   #10
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Glad to hear your safe sorry about some of your friends around you for their losts.
A MH does come in handy sometimes as we know also.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:50 AM   #11

I have a 99 with 3865 slide also.
I have been following these threads with some interest.

I have not had any problems but when it goes out at the front behind the drivers chair I get this awful metal crashing sound as it drops into place.

It comes in very smooth and also goes out smooth but its just that last little bit that gets your attention. I have been going to look to see what that might be.

Does anyone have any ideas and should I be worried?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by "007":
Not on the sprocket itself but on sprocket gear hubs both sides that tighten to shaft for sprocket gear and one that is tightened into key slot of sprocket shaft that is on yoke that sprocket shaft fits into.
The two on both sides of sprocket gear should be the ones to loosen.
You will also see the two jam nuts that are for the adjustment for the inward stop movement of slide. DO NOT loosen these at this time. You may not have to do anything with them if you can get the rail for slide with holes onto the nipple of sprocket. With help pushing the slide the nipple may reset itself. Looking at stop nuts they maybe out from the stop bracket pushing in the slide should push them flush against the stop bracket. The forward slide rail is over my LP tank yours maybe in a compartment same thing will apply.

SLIDE ADJUSTMENT

If its required should follow this operation. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Southern California
BZam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 08:18 AM   #12
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Bob what you maybe hearing is the locking bar dropping into the recess slot. There should be some foam backing in this slot to protect you from the sharp screws in there and keep the bar from making a noise when opening. If foam is there the bar may just need some lube so as to not hit metal to metal.

HOW about some KARMA membership on Newmar forum.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:41 PM   #13

Hi Group!

I just got myself in a similar situation except my slide is out about 6" in the front. The slide still works smooth and quiet but is always off now. Same adjustment only moreso for me?? It appears to be easy fix, but easier said than done as for most things. It's been a while since a post on this, but someone responds. I have a 1998 gas Kountry Star MH. Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
Casey
Old 06-13-2012, 07:00 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
The easiest way to "Fix" it is to Retract the Slide...Engage the Lock Bar on the Opposite End to the one that was locked last time. Push the Slide Extend Button and wait for the "POP"! Quickly push that Button to stop the Slide movement. Un Lock the Bar and then push the extend Button again.

This should even things up!