Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2017, 08:30 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
A/B satellite switch

Probably should put this in the technology forum but wanted a Newmar specific answer. As one of the requested specials for our Mountain Aire we asked for a means to switch from the Wiengard roof antenna to a portable one when in trees. My request was for an A/B type switch. My dealer says production is at a loss as to what I want.
If anyone has done this could you please explain the specifics of what they did for you and how I might convey this to them.

Thanks Scott
Soniccruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2017, 08:39 AM   #2
YC1

https://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=tv-0151

You can do it yourself quite easily..

Tell them to run a 3rd coax from where they run the coax for the outside tv and park cable .

Feed that coax to the input of the switch. Feed the dish output that would go to the receiver box to the other input of the switch.

You can then select from roof top dish to portable dish.

I have a permanent dish at my RV pad and do it by using my park cable coax versus adding a new one

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 08:41 AM   #3

Sounds like you want a satellite multiswitch that supports multiple dishes / LNBs.
And cabling with connection box for the external portable dish.

Satellite Dish Multi Switch - The Largest Selection.

What I am not sure of is if you disconnect the portable, will the DTV receiver auto connect to the Internal dish. And, will the auto seek of the Internal get hosed... Possibly that website provider can answer the question as they seem to carry every nuance of multiswitch.
Old 12-21-2017, 08:55 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
This is what we sent to production,
"The customer wants to have the ability to set up his portable tailgater satellite from the 50 amp power basement bay. He wants to have a A/B switch to be able to override the main rooftop system when he is using his tailgater system. We need to set-up something similar that is used inside the coach when we switch from an in-motion dish to a open-face dish. In this case we would be switching from a open-face dish to a outside tailgater dish. If it is easier to put that A/B switch up in the front cabinet then we would need to have a coax run to the power basement bay to hook up the tailgater".
Old 12-21-2017, 09:07 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
https://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=tv-0151

You can do it yourself quite easily..

Tell them to run a 3rd coax from where they run the coax for the outside tv and park cable .

Feed that coax to the input of the switch. Feed the dish output that would go to the receiver box to the other input of the switch.

You can then select from roof top dish to portable dish.

I have a permanent dish at my RV pad and do it by using my park cable coax versus adding a new one

Thanks YC1
That's exactly what was looking for. Not sure why they were having a hard time understanding what I needed.
Thanks
Old 12-21-2017, 09:30 AM   #6

Scott

We had the ground satellite option added. They do not seem to install an A/B switch. The option is simply the cable. So in the AV box you will see both the cable for the Winegard and the Ground. Same thing in the bedroom AV cabinet.

During FPU I asked them to install switches. But it appears they are not supplied and either you or the dealer could put them in. Really pretty a simple item to add. It doesn't appear to be something that can be done on the build line.

My setup required two switches in each location because I have a KVH in motion, Winegard and the ground connection.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 09:44 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our Tiffin has as standard a 'tripod' connection in the electric bay next to the cable TV connection. This tripod cable is routed to the AV cabinet where the satellite receiver resides. Add a A/B switch in the AV cabinet and its ready for a portable sat antenna.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 10:12 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks to everyone for the quick replies as we wanted to get this resolved prior to the Friday holiday shutdown. Talked to Michelle Howard and found the confusion was due to wording on the specials list.

Thanks Again and happy holidays [emoji268]☃️
Old 12-21-2017, 10:19 AM   #9

I have an A/B switch when I got the tripod special order.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 05:49 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You have to word it in Newmar speak...

SPECIAL
PREP FOR GROUND TRIPOD
SATELLITE DISH ON ODS
WITH A/B SWITCH
Old 12-21-2017, 06:48 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Martin View Post
You have to word it in Newmar speak...

SPECIAL
PREP FOR GROUND TRIPOD
SATELLITE DISH ON ODS
WITH A/B SWITCH

Thanks Charlie
Old 12-21-2017, 07:30 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soniccruzer View Post
Thanks Charlie
No problem...

I had difficulty getting seemingly easy specials approved...until I asked others for the exact wording of thier approved specials.

Hope it goes well...and congratulations on your order!!!
Old 12-21-2017, 10:21 PM   #13

Not sure who did what but I just special ordered the ability to connect an outside dish in place of the roof Winegard when needed on account of overhead obstructions. Then had the dealership install a satellite receiver in the driver's overhead cabinet and one in the bedroom closet. Was told not very many receivers can be used for roof and stand alone dish both since one was SWM and the other wasn't. Don't ask what this means as I have no idea.
When I picked up the coach it had an A/B switch in the overhead cabinet, one in the bedroom closet, and in the electric outside compartment there were connections for Campground Cable, Living Room and Bedroom to be used for the outside dish.

Now when I use the outside dish I flip both A/B switches, run a cable from the outside Winegard Carryout dome to the Living Room connection and one to the Bedroom connection, then have to change settings on both TVs since the roof dish is SWM and the dome is non-SWM. I have the items to change the dome to SWM but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I did all this type re-cabling on my 2004 coach with the Selector Box used back then but could never have done it in this 2015 Dutch Star since I'm still not sure how it's all working.

Good luck on your endeavor.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 10:51 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soniccruzer View Post
Probably should put this in the technology forum but wanted a Newmar specific answer. As one of the requested specials for our Mountain Aire we asked for a means to switch from the Wiengard roof antenna to a portable one when in trees. My request was for an A/B type switch. My dealer says production is at a loss as to what I want.
If anyone has done this could you please explain the specifics of what they did for you and how I might convey this to them.

Thanks Scott

Just went through this on my DS, what they did was in the bedroom they gave me an A/B switch and in the front A/V just an extra coax connection. On the outside cord bay they gave me two extra coax connections park cable , one to bedroom and one to front A/V. After I complained they sent me a second A/B switch for the front. Also had some HDMI cables run, not impressed by their instillation... Stuart
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite, switch