Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2011, 10:02 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
A/C and fridge aren't working

We came home in early May and put the Ventana in storage until last Monday, so about two months. It's a storage without electricity.

Monday we noticed that the A/C wouldn't come on with the generator. When we picked it up yesterday, we reset the breaker on the generator, but still no A/C.

Today it's at the house plugged in and neither the A/C or fridge have power but the microwave is working. Have thrown all the breakers and reset. Have to get out on some errands. Haven't checked any outlets yet. Will do when I get back this afternoon.

Thought you all might have some idea of what to check next.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2011, 11:02 AM   #2

You may have lost one leg of the 50 amp power since part of the coach works on 110 volts and part does not. Do both of the air conditioner not work or only one? Since both shore power and the generator don't work I would suspect the Automatic Transfer Switch.

Also, are the house batteries fully charged? The refrigerator and air conditioner run on 110-volts, but the controls need good 12 volts.
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:36 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
With power disconnected to the coach open up the transfer switch box. Check and tighten all connections. Norm also has a good point about the 12 volts. Someone didn't throw the salesman switch to the off position did they?
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 01:38 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Let's see if I can answer all the questions.
Q: Do both of the air conditioner not work or only one?
A: Neither comes on. We have a control that works the A/C and furnace. We don't even get a light when we try to turn that on.

Q: Also, are the house batteries fully charged? The refrigerator and air conditioner run on 110-volts, but the controls need good 12 volts.
A: House batteries are charged. It's been plugged in for 24 hours and A/C and fridge still don't work.

Q: Someone didn't throw the salesman switch to the off position did they?
A: Don't know what that is. No one has been near the coach since the last time when it worked.

!. With power disconnected to the coach open up the transfer switch box.
?. Where would I look for that?

!. Since both shore power and the generator don't work I would suspect the Automatic Transfer Switch.
?. That's what I was thinking but that doesn't account for the fridge not working, does it?

Too hot right now to go out and check outlets (no A/C inside the coach). Will get to that when the sun goes down a bit.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:59 PM   #5

If you have the Dometic thermostat and it is not working that indicates a 12 volt problem since the tstat works from a 12 volt feed from the front a/c and the a/c won't come on without a signal from the tstat. If refrig won't operate off propane it is probably a 12 volt problem as well. The salesman switch is a battery disconnect switch used to turn off the 12 volt system when the mh is in storage. Find you battery disconnect switch and make sure it's on. I have a 12 volt panel next to the 110 panel in my mh, you might want to check the fuse in your 12 volt panel, I can't imagine both fuses for the a/c and refrig to be blown, but anything is possible.
harleyman134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 03:04 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hubby was in charge of turning the power back on. Guess I better go check his work.
Old 07-16-2011, 05:33 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
"Q: Someone didn't throw the salesman switch to the off position did they?
A: Don't know what that is. No one has been near the coach since the last time when it worked."

On my coach at least the salesmans switch kills all 12 volt power to the coach and is located on a panel right next to the entrance door. Mine is labled Batt Cut Out.

With power disconnected to the coach open up the transfer switch box.

The transfer switch will most likely be located in the same compartment with your power cord. Mine is in a metal box that has a removable cover and is labeled.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:29 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpreece View Post
"Q: Someone didn't throw the salesman switch to the off position did they?
A: Don't know what that is. No one has been near the coach since the last time when it worked."

On my coach at least the salesmans switch kills all 12 volt power to the coach and is located on a panel right next to the entrance door. Mine is labled Batt Cut Out.
After checking everything else, I remembered to open that door next to the entrance door. Sure enough, the switch was off. Turned it on and everything was fine. Whoopee! And a big DUH!

BUT after we took the MH back to storage, the switch wouldn't go off. Press, light still on. Press again, light still on. That's not the way it used to be.

Can you sense my frustration here? We had a DP from another manufacturer and we didn't realize how different that coach was from this one. That one was pretty much a plain jane model. This newer one has lots of bells and whistles. Maybe we're just too unmechanical to deal with it.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:30 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpreece View Post
"With power disconnected to the coach open up the transfer switch box.

The transfer switch will most likely be located in the same compartment with your power cord. Mine is in a metal box that has a removable cover and is labeled.
That info will be noted in my notebook for future reference. Thanks.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:57 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillie View Post

After checking everything else, I remembered to open that door next to the entrance door. Sure enough, the switch was off. Turned it on and everything was fine. Whoopee! And a big DUH!

BUT after we took the MH back to storage, the switch wouldn't go off. Press, light still on. Press again, light still on. That's not the way it used to be.

Can you sense my frustration here? We had a DP from another manufacturer and we didn't realize how different that coach was from this one. That one was pretty much a plain Jane model. This newer one has lots of bells and whistles. Maybe we're just too non-mechanical to deal with it.
What you are dealing with is commonly called the Salesman Switch. It functions a relay located somewhere in one of your electrical bays. The switch doesn't fail, usually, but the relay has a very high failure rate, usually at the worst time when it is dark out and raining. Normally when they fail, you lose all 12 Volt DC power, not a good thing. You should check the switch first to make sure that it hasn't failed.

It appears that possibly your relay has failed in the closed position versus the open position. That can be a Blessing in one way. However, since the Salesman switch to most people is a useless device, I would recommend finding the relay and bypassing it by bolting the HD Red cables together that carry the 12 Volt DC current and protecting the union.

There are a variety of methods to bypass the relay depending on your model. I have included a photo of my defective relay and how I bypassed it by putting both Red Cables on one post.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Cut-off Relay-1.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	12170  
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:07 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
What's the advantage of leaving the salesman switch on? On our previous DP, if we didn't turn off all the switches, the batteries would run down because there was still power going to the clock on the radio, etc.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:21 PM   #12

On our motorhome that switch is a two way switch. Push down on one side and the 12 volts is disconnected (red light off). Push down on the other side and the 12 volts is reconnected (red light on).
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:02 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club

The switch is a rocker type switch. Push in on the top to turn on and push in on the bottom to turn off or visa versa.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:41 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
jillie, do you have a owners guide for your coach?
Some of your answers will be in their.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge