Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2016, 09:53 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
A/C condensation dripping from ceiling, new LA

This is about the third time we've experienced this, and it is very annoying.

While the temps have finally moderated some, the humidly remains very high. Condensation is collecting on the ceiling medallions, right under the A/C outlets. We're getting two puddles on the floor in the living room/kitchen and a wet spot on the end of the bed.

Has anyone else experienced this? We've had something similar in past RVs, but not to this extent. I might notice light moisture or "fog" on the A/C outlets, we've never gotten so much water dripping into the RV.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2016, 10:28 AM   #2

Sounds like the A/C condensation tray, drain ; that should let excess moisture run off across the roof is plugged. Possibly by a poorly installed A/C to roof gasket. You'll need to lift the cover and an internal shield on the A/C unit to check to see if the drain is plugged.
What I don't know is if the newer Newmars have gone to a drain hose system for the roof A/Cs that routes the water to a spot under the coach rather than letting it run over the roof.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:51 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Sounds like the A/C condensation tray, drain ; that should let excess moisture run off across the roof is plugged. Possibly by a poorly installed A/C to roof gasket. You'll need to lift the cover and an internal shield on the A/C unit to check to see if the drain is plugged.
What I don't know is if the newer Newmars have gone to a drain hose system for the roof A/Cs that routes the water to a spot under the coach rather than letting it run over the roof.
I know the A/C drains are not working properly. Only one of the drain lines has water coming out of it, water is running off the right rear corner. Just one of the two dozen plus things on our second warranty visit to Nappanee, coming up in just a few weeks.
2024 Ford Expedition
Old 08-10-2016, 02:24 PM   #4

For plugged drain lines (bud bugs/wasps/bees) if it comes through a drain tube get a roll of weed wacker plastic line, most stout that you can find and run that up from the bottom to see if you can dislodge a plug. If that doesn't do it then on to more labor intensive issues.

In one of the Airstream trailers I had the line appeared to be plugged. Wasn't plugged but when the went to put the interior aluminum panels in they drilled a rivet hole and nicked the line. Condensation was running down the inside of the interior wall.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 04:49 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
The rig is only two months old. I'm going to let Newmar deal with it. We have six shop days scheduled (we've got a long list) just ahead of the IRV2 rally.
2024 Ford Expedition
Old 08-10-2016, 07:26 PM   #6
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
The rig is only two months old. I'm going to let Newmar deal with it. We have six shop days scheduled (we've got a long list) just ahead of the IRV2 rally.

Man, your coach must have been built on a Friday afternoon after an office party. You've had the worst luck and by far the most issues I've ever seen in two months time.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 07:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarpusher View Post
Man, your coach must have been built on a Friday afternoon after an office party. You've had the worst luck and by far the most issues I've ever seen in two months time.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

That is an interesting theory. Every once in a while we read about someone having an abnormally high number of issues. Wagonmaster is another recent case. I wonder if their is a correlation between issues in plumbing and electrical connections and the day of the week that these items were installed in building.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 09:14 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
You'd think a 2mo coach wouldn't have that problem. Now ours is on season 11, that's a different story. We had the same AC issue for the front unit on our last trip 2 weeks ago. Dew points were above 70 & humidity was in the upper 80%'s. Saying it was "soupy" outside was an understatement! It would drip on the recliner chair near the door, on the end of the couch pullout bed when it was deployed & dampened the ceiling carpet. Could've been any of these:

Dirty filter (nope, cleaned it before the season started)
Freezing up (nope, both units were cycling)
Plugged drain tube &/or pan
Loose bolts not allowing proper seal to roof (this was the scenario w/the rear AC a few years ago)

Relieved it somewhat (still condensed, but stopped the dripping) by tilting the coach half a bubble off level/pilot side to get the water to runoff faster.

Coach is at the dealer's now for that "other issue" & I asked techs to check it out.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 09:43 PM   #9

AC condensation.

We were out camping and on day three water poured down from the AC on the inside of the trailer. We shut the unit off and read our paper work. DH had removed the exterior cover and all was well ...preventive maintenance. It was somewhat cool that night and we opened up all the windows and I had a small portable fan. The next day he removed the interior cover and tightened up the bolts that held the gasket. The gasket could have gotten loose with years of road travel. The AC had been replaced by our HiLo dealer in 2005. From what I can gather this summer has been extremely hot and humid in most parts of the USA. This has stressed out our RV AC units. We only used our AC one more day with out problems. DH had cataract and cornea surgery. We won't be camping until Sept. Prayers appreciated as the last cornea transplant didn't work out. Today the DR. said his eye looked real good. Another check next Monday. Good thing DH had his socket set with him.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 09:53 PM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
I know the A/C drains are not working properly. Only one of the drain lines has water coming out of it, water is running off the right rear corner. Just one of the two dozen plus things on our second warranty visit to Nappanee, coming up in just a few weeks.
Don't know if Newmar runs a separate drain for each unit, but my H.R, the front and mid AC's share a drain that exits drivers side front cap. Rear AC drains passenger side rear cap.
Reason I'm mentioning this, is I searched for the mid AC drain for a long time, before figuring out it is T'd in with the front.
Old 08-11-2016, 11:19 AM   #11
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Ours did turn out to be the bolts were loose. Tightened up to compress the gasket to the roof & all is well.

Lori-
Old 08-12-2016, 09:36 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
was just about to ask if you you had checked the 'sealing' bolts

our 'sealing' bolts
(with the springs on them that run up to the outside unit)
had loosened enough to where the warm outside air got thru and condensed and THAT was our 'leak'.

pulled the inside panel, and tightened the 4 bolts running up to the outside unit and no more leaks.
good luck !
Old 08-12-2016, 02:48 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Seems to have been isolated to that one day. It was VERY humid that day and I had all three ceiling exhaust fans running all night (one of our dogs had been very sick that night). I'm thinking it could be as simple as a lot of very humid air was being pulled into the coach by the fans.
2024 Ford Expedition
Old 08-12-2016, 04:20 PM   #14
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
That's good to hear. Talking with the tech that worked on our coach's AC, they're getting 1-2 calls per day regarding AC's dripping inside RV's. It's just been so very humid & the dew points so high, the units are working overtime.

Lori-

Tags
ceiling