Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2015, 11:35 AM   #1

A/C Problems with heavy condensation problems Help Please!!

We just returned from Houston where the humidity was very high. I have an 02 Dutch Star DP with the 2 overhead heat pump a/c units.
1st problem. While getting ready to leave for the trip the units where acting up. I would turn on the front unit and as soon as it ask for the compressor kicked in, the unit would go down. This happened with both units. I finally let the front unit run for a bit and asked for the compressor and it came on and stayed on thankfully. This was on the Gen set.
We made the trip alright and set up in a RV camp not far from the hospital MD Anderson and both units operated just fine for the first couple of days on shore power.
Day 3 woke up to water dripping from one of the return vents in the center of the bus ceiling. I switched it to just fan and ran it for a while to maybe thaw it out some. Then returned it to the a/c and when the compressor kicked in the unit dropped out. I messed with it all day trying to get it to come back on with no luck. This left us with just the rear unit for the next 2 days and for the trip home.
2nd problem. When we broke camp and was ready to leave. I moved forward a bit and stopped. When I did, a deluge of water come running out of the return vents in the ceiling. Wife grabbed towels and started drying it up. I don't understand why or how this much water could get into the vents??

So now I'm back home on shore power and still no front a/c. the fan runs but when you turn on the a/c the whole unit drops out?? Can somebody help maybe point me in the right direction or maybe a shop here in Oklahoma they would recommend?
Tevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2015, 11:45 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tevans View Post
We just returned from Houston where the humidity was very high. I have an 02 Dutch Star DP with the 2 overhead heat pump a/c units.
1st problem. While getting ready to leave for the trip the units where acting up. I would turn on the front unit and as soon as it ask for the compressor kicked in, the unit would go down. This happened with both units. I finally let the front unit run for a bit and asked for the compressor and it came on and stayed on thankfully. This was on the Gen set.
We made the trip alright and set up in a RV camp not far from the hospital MD Anderson and both units operated just fine for the first couple of days.
Day 3 woke up to water dripping from one of the return vents in the center of the bus ceiling. I switched it to just fan and ran it for a while to maybe thaw it out some. Then returned it to the a/c and when the compressor kicked in the unit dropped out. I messed with it all day trying to get it to come back on with no luck. This left us with just the rear unit for the next 2 days and for the trip home.
2nd problem. When we broke camp and was ready to leave. I moved forward a bit and stopped. When I did, a deluge of water come running out of the return vents in the ceiling. Wife grabbed towels and started drying it up. I don't understand why or how this much water could get into the vent??

So now I'm back home on shore power and still no front a/c. Can somebody help maybe point me in the right direction or maybe a shop here in Oklahoma they would recommend?

Are the filters in the return air vents clean? In high humidity conditions, it's very important to keep air flow across the coils as high as possible. Also run on high fan instead of auto to keep air flow high. I'm Guessing you had a really big ice buildup on the coils which dumped down into the duct when it melted. When you changed the level on the coach it all came out.

Sounds like your compressors are starting to draw more amps when they start. Might try new start capacitors.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 11:50 AM   #3
DJJ

Check to make sure your A/C drains are clear. On my 03 DS they drain onto the roof. If the are clogged the condensation will back up.

Jeff
2003 Dutch Star, 3126B Cat.
DJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 12:02 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I was starting to have trouble with one of mine, it would kick the breaker sporadically. I put in a hard start capacitor and that fixed it for about 1 year and then it would start kicking out when the fan would come on. Turned out to be the blower motor was starting to seize up. Replaced the blower motor and it worked great on the last 2 trips. When I took the blower motor out I could barely turn it by hand.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 01:08 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Your AC's may need cleaning and the ceiling vent filters as said. Scroll down for information.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 06:16 AM   #6

Ref the airflow. A low speed fan setting allows the cooling coil to more effectively condense the moisture out of the air.

I'm traveling in the Austin/Dallas area right now and the latest weather is humid. I left one AC on constantly with a low fan setting and the RV had no humidity issues throughout the day or night.

Dirty filters and icing can further compound your problems.

It is a balancing act relative to cooling vs humidity but you may want to consider the low speed setting if the RVs interior temperature is not an issue.
Bill-MACV21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 08:26 AM   #7

We're sitting outside Austin, we have 2 small dehumidifiers going all the time. With the 3 roof ACs, we can keep the inside at 40% humidity.

The 90-100% humidity really tests everything. I think you need to clean all the insides of your AC units.