Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2016, 07:45 AM   #1

A/C Starts then Stops

I have noticed that a few times a day (mostly in the evening after it has been running most of the day), the front A/C unit starts then stops a few seconds later. Then roughly 2 to 3 minutes later it will start again. Once it starts the second time, it will typically run normally. I do not know if this is the A/C unit starting to go bad or if the control board has a problem.

Has anyone else had this symptom (starting then stopping)? What was the fix?

I also noticed that once I set the temperature on the 5 button CC thermostat, it take a minute or two to start the A/C units. This happens with all 3 units so I figure it is normal?

Thanks
BrokeDown
Full time RVer since 4/2016. Newmar Mountain Aire 4523 - Jeep Rubicon - Harley FLTCR - 2022 F450 Platinum, 2022 Momentum 351MS-R with Curt Flex Air hitch and MORryde IS - Also considering a Polaris General 4 Seater and a Can Am Spyder RT
BrokeDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2016, 08:31 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi BrokeDown,
Both situations are normal. When the AC starts and then stops I call it "short cycling". It's when the temperature has enough difference to just barely start the A/C. However, there is not enough difference to keep the thermistor from signaling to stop the A/C. This happens around sundown or just after.

When one changes the temp on the thermostat it does take a minute or two for the HVAC system to react. This is true unless one us stopping the HVAC.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:12 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Agreed. Happened to my old units once in a while too. Time will tell on my new Penguin II'S and CCC2 t'stat.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi BrokeDown,
Both situations are normal. When the AC starts and then stops I call it "short cycling".
Thanks for the reply. It seems odd that it only happens with one of the three A/C units.

Brokedown.
Full time RVer since 4/2016. Newmar Mountain Aire 4523 - Jeep Rubicon - Harley FLTCR - 2022 F450 Platinum, 2022 Momentum 351MS-R with Curt Flex Air hitch and MORryde IS - Also considering a Polaris General 4 Seater and a Can Am Spyder RT
Old 08-02-2016, 09:40 AM   #5

I am having the same problem with one of my. The difference is that my continues to do it and my is 10 degrees from catching up. My is only three years old
Old 08-02-2016, 02:58 PM   #6

I have 07 Essex. My rear AC does this but it only seems to do this when all three ACs are trying to run at the same time. I have found that is the front 2 are on and the rear tries to start it will some times cycle on/off like you mention. If i turn off the front one and turn on the rear one first, then start the front it runs fine. I assumed this was some kind of power or voltage droop issue but it isn't enough of a problem for me to worry about it right now. I have a 12.5k genny too.
Old 08-02-2016, 07:27 PM   #7

Ours will do it too. Notice it most with just one AC operating.

I suspect that its the wall thermostats, that trigger the call for cooling. While I'm not sure what the fix might be;

I notice it happens often here in Ontario at night. I quite often just raise the temp a bit more in the coach and set the fan to high. That split seems to help "rest" the compressor on the AC as the interior is already cool, and the fan keeps the air moving.
Old 08-03-2016, 06:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager View Post
My rear AC does this but it only seems to do this when all three ACs are trying to run at the same time.
I never run all three A/Cs at the same time because the park that I am staying at doubles our electric bills (he charges double the rate he is being charged). My electric bill for the coach costs me as much as my 3300 SF house so we are trying to conserve. I run the front and middle during the day. At night, I turn them off (set the temp to 85) and run the back A/C unit with the bedroom door closed.

My local tech suggested that it may be the control board on the AC unit that is causing the problem. I am going to check with Dometic to see if I can swap the boards between the AC units.

BrokeDown
Old 08-03-2016, 07:05 AM   #9

When I called Dometic about my problem they said it could be the board. I only have two acs. It's on the front one I have a problem with
Old 08-03-2016, 07:22 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
When I called Dometic about my problem they said it could be the board. I only have two acs. It's on the front one I have a problem with
Did they say if you could swap the board between the two units to be sure?
Old 08-03-2016, 07:37 AM   #11

I did not ask them that but if both units are the same you can. Since my units are only 2.5 years old, I ordered a new board from dyer's this mourning. I may be wasting $ but I do want to try it before throwing in the towel and buying a new ac